Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Air Suspension Conversion to Standard Suspension (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519257)

Mbmw540i 02-11-2011 03:13 PM

Air Suspension Conversion to Standard Suspension

I've successfully removed my air ride suspension:

Well, I recently purchased a 05 X5 4.8is with only 52k mls. Within only days of buying it I had trouble with the air suspension, which started out as a bag front strut and escalated to a bad computer module and then air compressor. So I decided to get rid of the air suspension.

I will post a write up later, but for now, for those interested. I have successfully removed the air suspension and replaced with OEM Shocks/Struts/Springs. X5 sits about the same height as the middle setting on the air ride and rides about the same. Maybe a tad stiffer... Next step is to get the air ride removed from the computer, so the error goes away on the dash.

jussimple 02-11-2011 08:02 PM

I'd be interested in that write up. I just had the air ride serviced, had to replace the front left air bag and all the trouble with reprogramming the computer for the proper ride height. I'm really interested in seeing how it affects your handling over time. My 2006 x5is is still on warranty until 2016 but I don't feel like spending most of that time driving back and forth to my mechanic. If you don't mind, how about a cost break down when you do the write up? Just a thought.

bmwhumber 02-11-2011 08:26 PM

Wow good job.mine cost me 1600 $$ for refurnished 2 front air shock 1000$ for the pieces 600$ for the dealer.so far so good after 10k miles

jussimple 02-12-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwhumber (Post 5842736)
Wow good job.mine cost me 1600 $$ for refurnished 2 front air shock 1000$ for the pieces 600$ for the dealer.so far so good after 10k miles

What were the signs that you had to work on your suspension? I'd like to know so that I can be ready for it when, not if, it happens to me.

bmwhumber 02-12-2011 07:19 PM

The signs were I woke up in the morning and I noticed the truck getting lower as soon as I turn on the engine the truck goes up u can heAr the Air pump running you will feel every little pump at the rode +20 inch and must up sport susp u don't feel safe at all it's nightmare. No messages on the dash board YET. After 2-3 weeks the susp stayed down it won't go up I tow it to the dealer u know the rest of story

jussimple 02-12-2011 07:55 PM

Wow, nightmare indeed. I haven't had that issue yet and I hope not to. $1600 for the repair and you were good. I'm just worried that I'll have to replace them all eventually. I'll face that when i get to it but for now I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the information.

Mbmw540i 02-13-2011 06:27 PM

The airbags are not the biggest worry. My X5 needed a new computer module $1,000 retail and a new air compressor $1,000 retail. Then the air struts/shocks are only good for so long. Then there's the labor....

bmwhumber 02-13-2011 06:46 PM

Check this wep before u buy anything they have the air pump for half price http://www.arnottindustries.com/

jussimple 02-13-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwhumber (Post 5846366)
Check this wep before u buy anything they have the air pump for half price http://www.arnottindustries.com/

Thanks for the site. I just bookmarked it and will definitely keep it in the back of my mind.

Mbmw540i 02-13-2011 07:17 PM

The air pump is not for the 4.8 model or other X5's with front and rear air suspension. Its for rear air setups only. But they do have the airbags, I actually bought a front air strut from them before finding out I needed a new module and compressor.

swipe 02-15-2011 11:25 AM

I will post a write up later, but for now, for those interested. I have successfully removed the air suspension and replaced with OEM Shocks/Struts/Springs. X5 sits about the same height as the middle setting on the air ride and rides about the same. Maybe a tad stiffer... Next step is to get the air ride removed from the computer, so the error goes away on the dash.[/QUOTE]

Hi I'd be interested in reading the write up with any pics as well would be of great help, I was thinking of removing the air ride on my 2001 4.4 as it has just thrown up a sensor fault but that could just be the start of things.
Everything I've read on the net about the air ride is that when it starts to go it can cost the amount to buy another car. Would you be able to recode or disable the computer with a BMW 1.4 scanner

br2355 04-14-2011 11:23 AM

My air bags needed replacment last December. The ride suddenly became extremely bumpy, the lights flashed not to exceed 20 MPH, no kidding, I couldn't go over any bumps without feeling like it was a go-cart.
Merry Christmas, bags and front axle was over $3000. The Self Leveling Light kept coming on after being re-set at the dealer, they replaced the sensors for another $500 but the message kept returning. After getting my money back for the sensors, I decided to live with the flashing lights. The compressor works, I hear it now and then, but I cant operate the up/down switch.

CJones 04-17-2011 10:30 PM

2001X5 Air Suspension

Just purchased used 2001. 217K kms. Suspension works well for front and no air leaks known but if I take a dip in the road it tries to buck me off the seat. Has anyone else experienced this?

mikemcn 05-01-2011 04:14 PM

Time for that write-up.
Steps, costs, all the goods, please!

Thanks in advance.

unhappyx5owner 05-07-2011 05:51 PM

I had mine in the shop when I first got it (2003 X5 4.4l) 5 times for suspension issue. Finally fixed and no issues until today. had Front axles replaced and when I picked it up, was on the frame and the error back "Self level suspension in-activated". Any body know how to get it back on? I hope it was from when they lifted the car to replace axles.

imperials 07-11-2011 04:00 PM

hi i need to do the conversion i have 4 wheel air suspension on a 2004 x5 d sport , please can some one point me in the right direction as my x5 supension has dropped all round and want to get rid of it and put coil springs , please help

Alejandro 11-17-2011 12:13 PM

please someone knows how can i fix or rebuilt an X5 2002 left front air shock it has a knocking, the airbag is ok please help me i don't want spend 1000dlls

CJones 07-27-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbmw540i (Post 5842187)

Well, I recently purchased a 05 X5 4.8is with only 52k mls. Within only days of buying it I had trouble with the air suspension, which started out as a bag front strut and escalated to a bad computer module and then air compressor. So I decided to get rid of the air suspension.

I will post a write up later, but for now, for those interested. I have successfully removed the air suspension and replaced with OEM Shocks/Struts/Springs. X5 sits about the same height as the middle setting on the air ride and rides about the same. Maybe a tad stiffer... Next step is to get the air ride removed from the computer, so the error goes away on the dash.

When you say OEM you must mean BMW parts but were there after market struts/shocks that you investigated?

donnie30 09-01-2013 05:15 PM

X5 spring conversion

I have had my Le,mans Blue X5 4.8is and want to convert it to springs. Could use the sources to purchase all the parts. I'm good with it being a bit stiffer. I'm considering the Eibach and Bilstien route but all the kits say not for 4.8is. This is where I need a souree. I am ready to buy tonight. I miss driving my truck (aka Wolverine). I've been driving my 30 S52 every day and will get a ticket soon.

Donnie30

Mbmw540i 09-01-2013 05:29 PM

you won't find standard shocks for the 4.8 because it was not available without air suspension. So you'll have to order the 4.4 Bilsteins. as for springs, you can use the factory springs from the 4.4 or go with an aftermarket setup. I used the OEM shocks/springs from a 4.4 with sport package, got everything from a junk yard for $400. I wanted to see how it all worked before investing money in Bilsteins. With the 4.4 springs, the X5 sits at about the middle position with the air suspension. I believe all the after market springs will be shorter. so its up to you on personal preference. when i converted my X5, i couldn't find any info on height, so by starting with the cheap parts from the junk yard, it gave me a starting point.
The X5 rides exactly the same in my opinion with the factory springs/shocks compared to the air suspension. I'm sure with the Bilsteins it will ride awesome. My brother has the X5 now, and he's ready for Bilsteins!

Hope that helps!
Matt

donnie30 09-02-2013 08:57 AM

what year parts can I use?

forgot to ask what year 4.4 sport struts can I use to convert my 05 4.8is air springs out?
thanks!

Mbmw540i 09-02-2013 09:25 AM

05 and 06 are the last years of the E53, but i dont remember what years are the same. to be safe use the same year or 06. Dealer could probably tell you what years these parts changed.

itscoo2pyopants 09-15-2013 01:26 AM

Anyone have a list of parts and part numbers needed for this conversion?

Jack Freeman 02-23-2014 01:36 PM

Self Level Inactive

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbmw540i (Post 5842187)

Hey brother can you please post the pictures of your ride? And was there any differences after converting your x5 during this years?