Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Dme and Ecm (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520440)

Vinsobe 02-16-2011 03:59 PM

Dme and Ecm

Hello, I was advised by my mechanic that my DME computer is no good. He told me they are not programeable so its not worth it to buy a second hand one. So checked on line and prices for new ones were outrageous. So i checked Ebay and found some. Some I contacted the seller and he assured me it was plug and play no programing necesary. So against my mechanics wishes I bought the part. My mechanic installed it and low and behold it doesnt work. Does anyone out the have any expierience with DME and ECM? Thank you!

setconstr 02-16-2011 05:27 PM

dme

check out RPM Motorsport they can reprogram and are very helpfull you can chat right online with them

Vinsobe 02-17-2011 01:32 AM

Thank you!

joyism5 02-17-2011 06:15 AM

Why you need to change DME or ECM? What problems you had in order to change that?
I'm just curious...

Vinsobe 02-17-2011 08:24 AM

It appears to have been in a flood. The signals stopped working.

joyism5 02-17-2011 10:27 AM

Sorry for you. Have you checked the ECM relay? There are a lot of test to do before putting a diagnose like bad ECM. I hope your mechanic knows what his doing.
I once was trying to find the issue with an E38 which was not starting. 2 other mechanics say that is bad ECM. Car was not starting often and without any reason. It took me a lot of time to test signals from ECM. Sometimes were working sometimes not. Finally I found out after a lot of hours spent that the weather seal from the windshield was damaged by the sun and it was letting water to drop on the cables and then in the box where the ECM is. It was not necessary to rain outside.This happen when the humidity was high in the air or when washing the car.

Anyway I wish you luck with yours!

joyism5 02-17-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinsobe (Post 5853554)
Hello, I was advised by my mechanic that my DME computer is no good. He told me they are not programeable so its not worth it to buy a second hand one. So checked on line and prices for new ones were outrageous. So i checked Ebay and found some. Some I contacted the seller and he assured me it was plug and play no programing necesary. So against my mechanics wishes I bought the part. My mechanic installed it and low and behold it doesnt work. Does anyone out the have any expierience with DME and ECM? Thank you!

ECM Engine control module needs to be reprogrammed and coded for your car ! New ECM needs to know the new signal from the key for instance. For this procedure you need to use the BMW software. This is applicableto the second hand ECM too.

Mark@EAC 02-17-2011 03:18 PM

correct. you can use a used control module but it must be coded with your car and EWS aligned before it will start.

Vinsobe 02-17-2011 04:38 PM

Does anyone know the name of the software to code the new (used) dme computer because my original one is not fuctioning properly? Or can this not be done? Or if i go with a new dme is it necessary to change the ecm and keys as well? Please anyone that has expierience with this issue please respond ASAP! I am stuck. I toltally got screwed with this car and believe it or not i've had it for 6 months and only drove it for two days. It's just one problem after another. First the cats, then the Vanos, then the cluster, now this. Thank you in advance for any assistance! Sorry for venting its just frustrating.

joyism5 02-18-2011 06:27 AM

Good Luck!

Vinsobe 02-18-2011 07:23 AM

Thank you so much!!!!!!

Vinsobe 02-18-2011 08:05 AM

I will foward this to my mechanic. So it can be done??I really hope this works. If you have any more info please let me know. Thank you again!

joyism5 02-18-2011 09:55 AM

PM with your email for a little more info.

Spotlight 03-22-2011 09:12 PM

Can I get that info? I am Haveing the same problem with my 95 740il need to program the new ECM/DME. Thanks

Jerrywjohnson1@msn.com

5494alexv 11-22-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyism5 (Post 5857645)
PM with your email for a little more info.

plz sent me some information to i do have the saim problem with my beemer

vogel-alex@hotmail.de

joyism5 11-22-2012 06:59 PM

The new (or used) ECM needs to be align with the EWS (immobilizer) module, general module, transmission module. This can be done by the dealership or BMWs specialized shops since BMW software is necessary to run this procedures.

nomoexes 11-30-2012 09:36 AM

Dme

Whoever sold you that DME should give you an immediate refund. The DME(ECU), EWS, and the Remote Key ( has a small circuit board in it) all three must be in sync. The way it was explained to me by bmwdmes.net the EWS emits a rolling series of codes that are individual to your car. Those codes are BURNED into the Memory of the DME. Hence why no used DME will work. That DME must have your EWS codes in it to function. The Key gets aligned to all 3. I had this problem months ago. The procedure was to remove the EWS and Key and send it to the techs and have a new coded DME returned back to me. Sat in a cheap enterprise rental ($69 a week) 2 weeks but I ended up saving $1000 from the BMW Stealership. Now if I can fix this oil leak I will have the perfect paid off car!