Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E28 (1982 - 1988) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   trouble with a 525e (e28) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526662)

brooklyn naylor 03-14-2011 04:02 AM

trouble with a 525e (e28)

its overheating too quick. dont know why :dunno: ive changed the oil, and it had no coolant in it. good sign. i replaced the radiator fluid and bled the air from it. cleaned the thermo sensors on the radiator itself. the fan to cool the engine isnt kicking over to cool. so my theory is the thermostat.. am i right or could there be another issue. because its still over heating. :mad:

Neil22 03-14-2011 01:29 PM

You could remove and test it in boiling water. But they're cheap enough to just replace entirely. Might also be some gunk stuck in the radiator. Give it a good flush while you change out the thermostat.

catso 03-14-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklyn naylor (Post 5916466)
its overheating too quick. dont know why :dunno: ive changed the oil, and it had no coolant in it. good sign. i replaced the radiator fluid and bled the air from it. cleaned the thermo sensors on the radiator itself. the fan to cool the engine isnt kicking over to cool. so my theory is the thermostat.. am i right or could there be another issue. because its still over heating. :mad:

If the "fan" you're referring to is the primary mechanically operated one on the end of the water pump, make sure the fan clutch is working properly. If you mean the electrical auxilliary fan, try turning on the air conditioning. It should then go on. If not, the fan motor could be bad or the power isn't getting to it; check for a blown fuse (there should be two, #14, and #17) or possible a bad relay (two again, #11 and #12) or maybe even bad wiring or connections.

brooklyn naylor 03-15-2011 12:00 AM

thank you

thanks heaps, you are all full of so much information its awesome.
so you reckon check the fuses for the fan. its the mechanical fan that isnt kicking over and the air con fan only works when the A/C is on, but im thinking that might be normal. and how do i test the thermostat in hot water? is it to see if it opens? its tricky to find a place that stocks the bmw thermostats do you know any good places? thank heaps! :D

catso 03-15-2011 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklyn naylor (Post 5919044)
thanks heaps, you are all full of so much information its awesome.
so you reckon check the fuses for the fan. its the mechanical fan that isnt kicking over and the air con fan only works when the A/C is on, but im thinking that might be normal. and how do i test the thermostat in hot water? is it to see if it opens? its tricky to find a place that stocks the bmw thermostats do you know any good places? thank heaps! :D

If the mechanical fan isn't moving at all, it probably is the fan clutch. Look for evidence of oil leaking out of it. Make sure the fan belt and water pump are in good shape. Mine seized up on me with only a little noise as a warning.

brooklyn naylor 03-16-2011 03:13 AM

thank you

thank you so much for your info i really appreciate it.
:) i will do all these things and good old betsy will be in tip top shape.
cheers for all your help your a lifesaver.