Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Cylinder number (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529043)

NenitoZ 03-23-2011 08:56 AM

Cylinder number

Had the increased emissions warning, so i scanned it and its a misfire on Cyl. 1. Went ahead and ordered a new ignition coil. I was wondering though which is Cyl. #1? Closest to the front of the car but is it passenger or driver side? Thanks! :thumbup:

TxTaz 03-23-2011 09:20 AM

Yup, I just had a misfire on #3.
Where did you get your coil? Bosch or another type?
Thanks,
Wes

TxTaz 03-23-2011 11:37 AM

Well I did some quick searching and could not find which cylinder is which. So I ordered a full set from AutohousAZ.
$205 total.

Yorgi 03-23-2011 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Man what a pain in the arse this was to find! I found the older M62 info easily enough but the N62 took a few minutes.

petriej 03-23-2011 01:22 PM

Yorgi is the man!

TxTaz 03-23-2011 01:28 PM

Yorgi,
Where did you find it?

Yorgi 03-23-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxTaz (Post 5941394)
Yorgi,
Where did you find it?

I used the FORCE! :typing: :google:

I searched for "firing order" since all my other attempts at searching for "cylinder number" returned nothing but garbage.

I'm not sure, but I think that image comes from AllData. I found it on one of those sites that give you a preview of a full document and expect you to pay to download it. So I had to do a screen-shot.

TxTaz 03-23-2011 02:38 PM

Nice job.
I did the cylinder number thing and got the same garbage'.
Well, I figure if I replace all of them, I'm bound to hit cylinder 3...Maybe...:D:confused:

petriej 03-23-2011 02:39 PM

I've read that when you replace a coil or spark plug, it is in your best interest to replace them all, anyway.

Yorgi 03-23-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petriej (Post 5941576)
I've read that when you replace a coil or spark plug, it is in your best interest to replace them all, anyway.

+1

Once one coil goes bad they all tend to start going due to age, so you may as well change them all while you are in there.

JPEG23 03-23-2011 04:19 PM

Keep me updated if this fixes your issue, please. I am having a very similar issue. Was your car also idling a bit rough?

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

TxTaz 03-23-2011 04:28 PM

Mine just started to idle rough yesterday. It would be smooth and then every once in awhile it would hit a rough spot. Then the errors codes would start. "Bing, Bing, Bing" Man I wish I could turn that off.
The new coils and plugs will be in Friday night.
I'll keep you informed after a few days of driving it.

JPEG23 03-29-2011 07:45 PM

Update please? Did this fix your rough idle?

TxTaz 03-30-2011 04:21 AM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did that ever give the sport button a new meaning.

I finished installing the new coils and plugs and it runs GREAT!
At 54,000 miles, the plugs looked just a little worn and had a little bit of a "hot" look to them.

I did a little spitired run this morning and everything about the engine is better.
- Idle
- Driveability
- Shifting
- Pickup

And I always had a slight hesitation when starting from a dead stop, that is now gone. So I recommend to anyone who has around this mileage and any engine symptoms, change the coils and plugs. It was right at $300.

JPEG23 03-30-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxTaz (Post 5941871)
Mine just started to idle rough yesterday. It would be smooth and then every once in awhile it would hit a rough spot. Then the errors codes would start. "Bing, Bing, Bing" Man I wish I could turn that off.
The new coils and plugs will be in Friday night.
I'll keep you informed after a few days of driving it.

Did you have the increased emissions and engine malfunction warnings? If so, did it take care of both of them?

TxTaz 03-30-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPEG23 (Post 5957780)
Did you have the increased emissions and engine malfunction warnings? If so, did it take care of both of them?

Why yes I did. Seams like anything will throw those messages. I haven't gotten them since the change. I cleared all error codes after the change. I will scan the car tomorrow after I do an oil change and let you know if anything is there.

JPEG23 03-30-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxTaz (Post 5957837)
Why yes I did. Seams like anything will throw those messages. I haven't gotten them since the change. I cleared all error codes after the change. I will scan the car tomorrow after I do an oil change and let you know if anything is there.

Yea I noticed that, I got these error messages and the car has been idling really rough. Hooked up my OBD2 and I got misfires on cylinders 1-4; this was my first guess but wanted to be sure before I swapped them.

Will also post my results for future reference.

TxTaz 03-31-2011 02:22 PM

Did my oil change today and reset the oil service counter. I also scanned the car and the only thing it came back with was....

Wait for it.....

She said..........

"I love the way you take care of me. Now let's go hit some fast corners.":D:thumbup::drive:

the6dude 07-09-2011 07:22 PM

Ok, so I just got the same warning lights this morning. Everything was fine yesterday (smooth, nice ride) and then this morning I get in the car, start her up and right of the bat I noticed a very very rough idle. Then....bing, bing, bing. Engine malfunction and increased emissions!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!! Then I smell exhaust with a hint of gas! So, thanks to you guys I'll retract my "I'm going to get rid of you" rant and focus on fixing her again so our love affair can continue.

JPEG23 and TxTaz what kind of OBD readers did you guys use? I need to pick one up. Also, based on my description does this sound like another case of bad coils or another issue?

I'll be working on her tomorrow so thanks for any help the fest fam can offer!

HerbP 07-09-2011 07:36 PM

You can pick up a good OBD2 reader at Harbor Freight for around 100.00. If I was you, I would order a BMW cable that can be used with INPA or DIS. Around 40.00 & the software is free for download. Then you can do all kind of diagnostics on the car!

Good Luck!

the6dude 07-09-2011 07:45 PM

HerbP, will that OBD2 reader at Harbor Frieght read the BMW specific codes? Do I really need one that does? Where did you order your cable from? And thanks HerbP!

HerbP 07-09-2011 07:54 PM

The Harbor Freight one will read the Generic P codes. It is handy for most cars. I bought mine for my Ford truck, that loves to have COP problems. With all the humid weather we have in our area, die-electric grease is a must for all COP's.

The cable for INPA or DIS can be found on EBAY or these forums. Like I said software is free, but can be a pain to install. Check out these sites, & do some reading! If you come down to Augusta for any reason, I will be glad to show you the difference!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=233

http://www.bmwcoding.com/

Good Luck!

tampamark 07-09-2011 08:35 PM

Just go to Pepboys, Advanced Auto, or one of the others, they read for free.

the6dude 07-10-2011 03:20 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Bought a OBD2 scanner today and it looks like a had a misfire on cylinder 5. I'll be replacing all coils!

HerbP, I downloaded the software and the tutorial pdf last night. The research starts now!

JPEG23 07-10-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the6dude (Post 6182744)
Thanks for the responses guys. Bought a OBD2 scanner today and it looks like a had a misfire on cylinder 5. I'll be replacing all coils!

HerbP, I downloaded the software and the tutorial pdf last night. The research starts now!

Coils aren't really a wear and tear item, that need replaced every XXXXX amount of miles; in general only replace coils if you test one and it tests bad. Chances are it's just the plug, which do need to be replaced every 50-100k...I'd start their and forget the coils.