Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   2011 335i N55 BMW Performance Exhaust Review (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529449)

chrisk03 03-24-2011 05:29 PM

2011 335i N55 BMW Performance Exhaust Review

So, I finally got my BMW Performance Exhaust installed on my 2011 335i MSport Sedan this past Saturday. Below are my comments and thoughts as well as a few comparison videos for you.

Price:
I picked up over the President's Day Holiday (discount, thanks Patrick) and came in right around $1289 shipped. The install at my local BMW dealer ran me about $125 + tax. All in, pretty happy with the price and probably could have installed myself, but not having a lift would have been a major PITA since you have to cut the pipe.

Fitment:
Being an OEM part, there is obviously no fitment issues. Seeing that there is cutting involved, however, there could have been, so I thought it best to let BMW do it just in case. I'm pretty comfortable doing some things with my car, but cutting my new $1200+ exhaust wasn't one of them. I must say, however, this seems like a "low rent" way for BMW to offer an OEM performance exhaust and do have some concerns about it leaking or coming loose down the line because of the clamps.

Look/Feel:
The PE pretty much looks exactly the same as the stock exhaust that came off of the car except for the tips and the PE came in 3 pieces. The piping was a tad different with what I would call "denting" on the PE, whereas the stock was round all the way. I'm not quite sure why this is, but apparently it is normal from what I gathered online and my SA didn't say anything when I asked. The actual mufflers were also identical, at least on the outside, to the stockers. Obviously, there was a change going on inside the mufflers. The tips stick out a little further than stock and they look subtly aggressive, if that makes any sense. You can see the tips in the video.

Weight/Performance:
Ok, I'm a dummy. In all my excitement I actually forgot to weigh the PE. It is apparently about a 8-9lb weight reduction to stock from my research. I have yet to weigh the stock unit, but it was pretty damn heavy as I moved it out of the car and into the garage (yes, it fits in the 3 with the seats down and tons of protective blankets, towels, etc.). Performance claims from BMW are about 5hp from 6500rpms. Throttle response felt a tad better, but couldn't really feel the huge 5hp bump...ha.

Sound:
Probably the main reason I bought this exhaust, other than the huge power gains. :D Also, seeing that my car is new, I thought it better to go with an OEM part, although I liked Turner's cat back and of course the Akrapovic ($$$). I know I probably wouldn't have any issues with another exhaust, but playing it safe I guess. Anyway, to me, the sound is perfect. A bit more aggressive/throaty/bass-y over stock, especially when you get on it. There really is no drone from the PE, but depending on how you are on the throttle, you can create some. I didn't find it annoying inside the car and all's you have to do is adjust the throttle slightly to get rid of drone if you happen to get some. The one thing I liked (not sure why) is that as you slow down and the car downshifts (I have an auto) it makes a "gurgle" sound, which just adds some aggressiveness or something that caught my ear. I'll let the videos "say" the rest and hope you can get a sense for what I'm talking about. WARNING: It's always hard to tell from a video, however, but the PE does sound great, IMO.

"All in all, I love it. I'm a low-key guy who prefers the subtle approach to most things in life, and this exhaust suits me perfectly. If you like to go big and want something that will set off car alarms and wake the neighbors, then this is not the exhaust for you. However, if you want something that will give the car some character while staying tasteful, it's just what the doctor ordered."* (*aajami - m3post.com. He wrote these 3 sentences reviewing his new M3 PE and I couldn't have said it any better with respect to my 3 Series PE, so yes, I copied...but am giving credit, so don't sue me).

Now, for the fun part...before and after videos. If you have any questions, let me know, or if you live in the Philly area and want to hear in person, shoot me a PM.

PS. First time doing videos, so may be a tad long, but you get the idea. Videos came from my phone...pretty impressed with the quality. I have a street run I'll post soon.

Stock - Cold Start http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNeyd75v30w PE - Cold Start http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nilnZvpcFI

Stock - Warmed Up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPFBoCT7jUM PE - Warmed Up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETZ6_ozLjI8

bmw325 03-24-2011 06:07 PM

Great writeup! love the before and after videos--don't think anyone has taken the time to do that before. Looks like the perf exhaust doesn't have the exhaust flap to disable the driver side muffler on cold startup (judging by the fact that both exhausts had smoke coming out in the perf video vs just 1 in the stock cold start video).

mabman 03-25-2011 10:11 AM

thanks for taking the time to post this - excellent writeup and pushed me over the edge in getting one.

E92Submarine 03-25-2011 03:02 PM

Thanks for the write-up and videos. I'm stilling dragging my feet on getting this done for my car.

Rock36 03-26-2011 01:59 AM

:thumbup:

Great write up and review. I love the videos, but I'm always thrown off by how mean and loud exhausts sounds when it is filmed. It never seems to be that loud in real life.

I also like how BMW is pretty honest/conservative about the exhaust performance gains. About 5hp above 6500 rpm. It tells me two things 1) BMW designed the stock exhaust pretty optimally, 2) BMW isn't trying to sell you snake oil performance. Just good sound and a little bit of power.

If it was from some other aftermarket companies I've experienced the claim would at least be 15bhp through the entire rpm range LOL

nekbreaker 03-26-2011 11:00 AM

i got my performance exhaust last month men a loved u get for what u paid sound nice my car is a coupe anyone whos thinking about getting this and have the money go for it

dodell66 03-26-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisk03 (Post 5944910)
So, I finally got my BMW Performance Exhaust installed on my 2011 335i MSport Sedan this past Saturday. Below are my comments and thoughts as well as a few comparison videos for you.

Price:
I picked up over the President's Day Holiday (discount, thanks Patrick) and came in right around $1289 shipped. The install at my local BMW dealer ran me about $125 + tax. All in, pretty happy with the price and probably could have installed myself, but not having a lift would have been a major PITA since you have to cut the pipe.

Fitment:
Being an OEM part, there is obviously no fitment issues. Seeing that there is cutting involved, however, there could have been, so I thought it best to let BMW do it just in case. I'm pretty comfortable doing some things with my car, but cutting my new $1200+ exhaust wasn't one of them. I must say, however, this seems like a "low rent" way for BMW to offer an OEM performance exhaust and do have some concerns about it leaking or coming loose down the line because of the clamps.

Look/Feel:
The PE pretty much looks exactly the same as the stock exhaust that came off of the car except for the tips and the PE came in 3 pieces. The piping was a tad different with what I would call "denting" on the PE, whereas the stock was round all the way. I'm not quite sure why this is, but apparently it is normal from what I gathered online and my SA didn't say anything when I asked. The actual mufflers were also identical, at least on the outside, to the stockers. Obviously, there was a change going on inside the mufflers. The tips stick out a little further than stock and they look subtly aggressive, if that makes any sense. You can see the tips in the video.

Weight/Performance:
Ok, I'm a dummy. In all my excitement I actually forgot to weigh the PE. It is apparently about a 8-9lb weight reduction to stock from my research. I have yet to weigh the stock unit, but it was pretty damn heavy as I moved it out of the car and into the garage (yes, it fits in the 3 with the seats down and tons of protective blankets, towels, etc.). Performance claims from BMW are about 5hp from 6500rpms. Throttle response felt a tad better, but couldn't really feel the huge 5hp bump...ha.

Sound:
Probably the main reason I bought this exhaust, other than the huge power gains. :D Also, seeing that my car is new, I thought it better to go with an OEM part, although I liked Turner's cat back and of course the Akrapovic ($$$). I know I probably wouldn't have any issues with another exhaust, but playing it safe I guess. Anyway, to me, the sound is perfect. A bit more aggressive/throaty/bass-y over stock, especially when you get on it. There really is no drone from the PE, but depending on how you are on the throttle, you can create some. I didn't find it annoying inside the car and all's you have to do is adjust the throttle slightly to get rid of drone if you happen to get some. The one thing I liked (not sure why) is that as you slow down and the car downshifts (I have an auto) it makes a "gurgle" sound, which just adds some aggressiveness or something that caught my ear. I'll let the videos "say" the rest and hope you can get a sense for what I'm talking about. WARNING: It's always hard to tell from a video, however, but the PE does sound great, IMO.

"All in all, I love it. I'm a low-key guy who prefers the subtle approach to most things in life, and this exhaust suits me perfectly. If you like to go big and want something that will set off car alarms and wake the neighbors, then this is not the exhaust for you. However, if you want something that will give the car some character while staying tasteful, it's just what the doctor ordered."* (*aajami - m3post.com. He wrote these 3 sentences reviewing his new M3 PE and I couldn't have said it any better with respect to my 3 Series PE, so yes, I copied...but am giving credit, so don't sue me).

Now, for the fun part...before and after videos. If you have any questions, let me know, or if you live in the Philly area and want to hear in person, shoot me a PM.

PS. First time doing videos, so may be a tad long, but you get the idea. Videos came from my phone...pretty impressed with the quality. I have a street run I'll post soon.

Stock - Cold Start http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNeyd75v30w PE - Cold Start http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nilnZvpcFI

Stock - Warmed Up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPFBoCT7jUM PE - Warmed Up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETZ6_ozLjI8

Quality write-up and videos. Thank you. :thumbup:

Mk23 03-27-2011 12:11 AM

Hate all the popping noises from the N55 but other than that it sounds good. Been wanting the PE for my N54 for years now. Eventually it will be mine...

NecArn 03-27-2011 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mk23 (Post 5950064)
Hate all the popping noises from the N55 but other than that it sounds good. Been wanting the PE for my N54 for years now. Eventually it will be mine...

I love those :) so far so good with N55. Good write-up btw. Has put the exhaust in my mind now :)

PhillyNate 03-27-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

They all burble and pop. Even mine on my 328i. That was one of the selling points for me.

nekbreaker 03-27-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

don't get it cuz my is a n54 buddy and poppin sound are the order of the day

Mk23 03-27-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyNate (Post 5950433)
They all burble and pop. Even mine on my 328i. That was one of the selling points for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekbreaker (Post 5950443)
don't get it cuz my is a n54 buddy and poppin sound are the order of the day

Funny my N54 doesn't pop at all. :dunno:

E92Submarine 03-27-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mk23 (Post 5950851)
Funny my N54 doesn't pop at all. :dunno:

It should. Accelerate in 1st gear to about 10mph and then come off the gas and let the car slow in first gear. You should hear it.

ekuenzli 03-27-2011 05:08 PM

On my 335is it sounds great. Little burble never hurt anyone.

KevinJ_2k1325ci 03-27-2011 06:01 PM

335is has a different exhaust

The 335is has an exhaust valve/flap to control the sound level and the performance exhaust doesn't. Also BMW removed some of the packing material on the 335is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekuenzli (Post 5951470)
On my 335is it sounds great. Little burble never hurt anyone.

Mk23 03-27-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E92Submarine (Post 5950890)
It should. Accelerate in 1st gear to about 10mph and then come off the gas and let the car slow in first gear. You should hear it.

Ah okay, see I very rarely go into 1st unless I am uh "playing" with another car from a light. :eeps: Which like I said is fairly rare. Will have to try it and see.

Jsborn 04-15-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinJ_2k1325ci (Post 5951594)
The 335is has an exhaust valve/flap to control the sound level and the performance exhaust doesn't. Also BMW removed some of the packing material on the 335is.

Resurrecting this thread instead of starting a new one...

I heard a 335is yesterday and if that's what the BMW performance exhaust sounds like, I'm going to order one tonight. Can anyone confirm that the 335is exhaust and the BMW PE for the 335i (in my case, a sedan) sound similar, if not the same?

Thanks!

SD Z4MR 04-15-2011 08:25 PM

I was just reading a thread in the last couple of days where this was debated. I think it may have been an older thread on e90post.

Someone who had them up both up on a lift commented that their labeling and markings on the exhaust system were different. I believe that someone said that the 335is exhaust has the flapper valve and the BMW PE doesn't. I think that it was said that the BMW PE was louder and deeper. The determination was that they're not the same. But I could be wrong.

But the 335is exhaust definitely does sound sweet! I can't wait, it's just weeks away!

PhillyNate 04-16-2011 06:53 AM

Besides the cars themselves, this may be the best product that BMW sells. What I really respect about this upgrade and BMW, besides the sound, is if this is only a 5hp improvement it is the most bonafide 5hp I have ever seen.

E92Submarine 04-16-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsborn (Post 5999715)
Resurrecting this thread instead of starting a new one...

I heard a 335is yesterday and if that's what the BMW performance exhaust sounds like, I'm going to order one tonight. Can anyone confirm that the 335is exhaust and the BMW PE for the 335i (in my case, a sedan) sound similar, if not the same?

Thanks!

If they're not the same, they are very similar.

CALWATERBOY 04-16-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Try a JB3 - exhaust note will improve; driving satisfaction will greatly improve.

Far less $$. Far better result.

Hey....:D

MTNBMW 05-07-2011 07:03 PM

Every moment of the sound is soooooo satisfying on my 335is, the gurggle, the pops, etc...

Orient330iNYC 05-07-2011 07:31 PM

the PE is louder-- no exhaust valve like the stock IS exhaust, plus i'm pretty sure the mufflers themselves are different

MTNBMW 05-07-2011 08:09 PM

Morning starups are most pleasant, loudest. After a bit of warm up it quiets, probably those valves, but it is not difficult to make it gurggle. MUCH better than my '08 335. I love it. I hear it is illegal in EU 'cause too noisy. So we are getting some good things the Euros don't!

Saintor 05-08-2011 08:50 AM

I like mine. My only issue is that people out there get much more of a "treat" (want it or not lol!) than me inside the car.