Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Malfunction codes after battery change (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532607)

dan2875 04-05-2011 10:49 PM

Malfunction codes after battery change

Hello Folks!
I just bought a 2008 528xi last weekend. The battery went dead that night after parking in downtown for a couple hours. Anyways, I drove home about 60miles on the freeway, and assumed the battery would be charged. The next morning, nothing. So I decided to get a new battery, because Ive heard of battery issues with the car, and figured because the car was sitting for so long (probably a few months on the lot),and it has almost 60000miles,I would just get it replaced. I called the dealer, because I know the batt has to be registered afterward. Anyways, besides being 30 miles away, they were booked out a couple of weeks. So, I decided I would change the battery myself and get it registered. I called interstate battery right by my house, and they said they could do it. So I jumped my car, took it down there, and they changed the battery to a mega-tron plus MTP-49/H8 100AH for $230. Anyways, right afterwards, I start the car and have a bunch of error codes. 4x4 malfunction, electrical malfunction, transmission malfunction, AWD, DSC, ABS, EBV malfunction. On top of that, my windows do not work, my remote only locks and unlocks the rear doors. I even changed the battery back to the oem, and same codes. I have bumper to bumper warranty that I bought but there is a 30 day waiting period. I still drive it to work about 2miles a day. Im planning on waiting 30 days and going to the dealer. Interstate batt says they're not liable and refuse to do anything.
Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch.
-dan

2chill 04-06-2011 12:48 AM

I'm full of questions as I don't understand half of what you are talking about due to vague info.

1) Where is Olympia? Are you in the state of Washington? Canada? Greece?

2) Did you buy the car from a BMW dealership or a regular used car dealer?

3) If you only bought the car last weekend, didn't they give you a base warranty?

4) If you bought from BMW, is there another dealer you can take it to?

5) Did interstate ever register the new battery to the car?

The dealer who said they are booked out a couple of weeks sounds to me like they are giving you the shaft because you didn't buy the battery from them. I would ask to speak to a manager. As for Interstate, it probably will be hard to hold them responsible. No real damage done. The car's codes just need to be reset if the battery wasn't registered properly.

Raymond Lee 04-06-2011 05:47 AM

I would follow 2Chills' suggestion.

Munich77 04-06-2011 10:08 AM

If you take a look at the Roundel, unfortunately for our cars, you have to get the battery from the dealer because of the computers.

umermariner 06-26-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan2875 (Post 5975116)
Hello Folks!
I just bought a 2008 528xi last weekend. The battery went dead that night after parking in downtown for a couple hours. Anyways, I drove home about 60miles on the freeway, and assumed the battery would be charged. The next morning, nothing. So I decided to get a new battery, because Ive heard of battery issues with the car, and figured because the car was sitting for so long (probably a few months on the lot),and it has almost 60000miles,I would just get it replaced. I called the dealer, because I know the batt has to be registered afterward. Anyways, besides being 30 miles away, they were booked out a couple of weeks. So, I decided I would change the battery myself and get it registered. I called interstate battery right by my house, and they said they could do it. So I jumped my car, took it down there, and they changed the battery to a mega-tron plus MTP-49/H8 100AH for $230. Anyways, right afterwards, I start the car and have a bunch of error codes. 4x4 malfunction, electrical malfunction, transmission malfunction, AWD, DSC, ABS, EBV malfunction. On top of that, my windows do not work, my remote only locks and unlocks the rear doors. I even changed the battery back to the oem, and same codes. I have bumper to bumper warranty that I bought but there is a 30 day waiting period. I still drive it to work about 2miles a day. Im planning on waiting 30 days and going to the dealer. Interstate batt says they're not liable and refuse to do anything.
Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch.
-dan

Any update????

Did you take care of it? If yes, how, and what needed to be done.

Thanks.

Jaycal3 06-26-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munich77 (Post 5975955)
If you take a look at the Roundel, unfortunately for our cars, you have to get the battery from the dealer because of the computers.

Are you fricken serious????:yikes: FALSE....

Additionally, Here in CT you get a 30 or 60 day warranty with a used car by law... do you not get something similar where you are?

2chill 06-26-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umermariner (Post 6919332)
Any update????

Did you take care of it? If yes, how, and what needed to be done.

Thanks.

I would think this was taken car of since this thread is over a year old...but he never did let us know what the outcome was. Also, since he never posted anything ever again, I doubt we'll ever get an answer.

dan2875 06-26-2012 10:44 PM

All it needed was a reprogram. the place I got it from just reprogrammed it for me. apparently, the battery was a different type than oem.

umermariner 06-27-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan2875 (Post 6919525)
All it needed was a reprogram. the place I got it from just reprogrammed it for me. apparently, the battery was a different type than oem.

Oh ok...
How much he charged? You ever looked into reprogramming it yourself for maybe next time?
If yes, any insights?
Thanks.

dan2875 06-27-2012 07:26 AM

It was free cause I had just bought it. Have no idea how to program myself...

umermariner 06-27-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan2875 (Post 6919955)
It was free cause I had just bought it. Have no idea how to program myself...

Programming was free coz you just bought the battery :O.. which place is that :O

vimendoz 12-01-2012 01:43 PM

hello,
I had my battery replaced yesterday due to an emergency and not close to any bmw dealer and I put the same battery that you install.
now the exact same errors are appearing on my 2008 528i.
please tell me what did you do to fix it and how much did it costs you?
I am way out of warranty and will like to see how much is the damage going to be.

thanks so much

dan2875 12-01-2012 04:04 PM

i took it back to the place i bought it from, and all they did was reprogram the computer, because the battery types are different. Hope that helps.

longerone 12-02-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan2875 (Post 7225545)
i took it back to the place i bought it from, and all they did was reprogram the computer, because the battery types are different. Hope that helps.

By implication, my understanding is that if you change your battery with the original type OEM, NO error codes will show up.

H F 12-02-2012 09:38 PM

i myself have installed two batteries from auto zone in my car , never had them registered. never had any problems. alls i did is put in the battery with the same characteristics as the original, the only thing ihad to do is reset the clock and date. actually the battery i installed is actually for a mercedes.cause it had more cranking amps . and it fit inthe compartment better. was closer to the original battery size. Some aftermarket batteries are smaller than the original, i really dont think registering the battery is necessary, only cause i havent had any issues. can someone explain why registering the battery is nessesary,

longerone 12-03-2012 06:32 AM

Dan 2875 needs to buy this battery http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ries/_/N-af333
The likely error to get will be only the AWD steering, which will clear after starting the vehicle and turning the steering to extreme left and right.
Also you can reset your computer by yourself, if you have the OBD 2 cable and learn to program it.

Phil75070 12-03-2012 09:09 AM

My indy replaced my dieing battery in my '05 545i with an Interstate mtp-93. Reviews on this battery are all excellent.

saintaz@cox.net 12-30-2012 06:53 PM

2005 BMW 525i-read all the code stuff and was hesitant-went to OReilly and the kid was insistant it was like changing a battery on any other car. Sure enough just had to reset date and time. What I noted when they showed me the battery options-some batteries needed to have reprogramming and some did not. I bought one ($134.00) that did not specify reprogramming and it all works great.