Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   eBay parts: whats good, whats acceptable, and what to avoid (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533279)

drive by72 04-08-2011 04:40 PM

eBay parts: whats good, whats acceptable, and what to avoid

Hey festers! So whilst chatting in the chamber of OT last night I had this idea, the idea of making a thread where anyone whos bought ebay parts for their E36 can write up a small review on its quality and the likes. Its just like consumer reports, for bimmers. Simple criteria is what it is, a picture or two, price, a link if possible, and of course what you think of it. I'll start.

I bought an ebay radiator as you all know. Well, keeping it short and sweet, it hasnt let me down and, for 145 shipped, I'd definitely buy it again. It came with a 14" aux fan, which doesnt really have much going for it, but I used it in my FDM. All aluminum construction means no more plastic to break, which is what made me lean towards this over a Behr OEM one. Heres a few pics

http://i55.tinypic.com/2dbt75s.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/1ziqzn.jpg
Fat welds around everything

http://i55.tinypic.com/bevqdz.jpg
*brackets not included;)

Hopefully this one works. This could save many festers' tails in the future :thumbup:

crisscross 04-08-2011 05:10 PM

Emblems are fail, but the 80 fan blower is win :)

Good:

DDM style m3 front bumper
Corner lights
Metal bleed screw

Acceptable:

El Cheapo intake
Headlight bulbs

Thats all I can remember right now..

FenderBender 04-08-2011 05:10 PM

I like this idea, many think all Ebay parts are junk, just as many people think all Ebay parts are great.

From ebay I have ordered:

Foot pedals-great

F1 Stage II Clutch package-superb

All sorts of gauges, aftermarket, and the cluster-great

Fog lights-great

Corners-great

I'll be ordering an ebay brand of seats sometime soon, I'll let everyone know the quality of them.

drive by72 04-08-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderBender (Post 5982584)
I like this idea, many think all Ebay parts are junk, just as many people think all Ebay parts are great.

I think we can all agree though that ebay turbo kits are junk (had to get that one out of the way before a n00b asks)

FenderBender 04-08-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drive by72 (Post 5982601)
I think we can all agree though that ebay turbo kits are junk (had to get that one out of the way before a n00b asks)

This is true, but not all Ebay turbo parts are junk.

miles_trail 04-08-2011 05:26 PM

How about them electric turbos?, they're good right?, and they add like 4,000,000 HP at each of the four wheels, right?.

ZeGerman 04-08-2011 05:29 PM

+1 for fog lights being good. I've had OEM, DDM, and eBay fog lights. Pretty much no detectable difference in quality between any of them.

cj.surr 04-08-2011 07:51 PM

I've bought fog lights, an emblem and a corner from ebay, all of which I was happy with.

crisscross 04-08-2011 07:56 PM

The hong kong emblem I got for my old e36 was crooked. When it was in the tabs, it was tilted like 10 degrees to the right :rofl: and the text was noticeably different than the OEM one I replaced.

Good thing it was only $5

cj.surr 04-08-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crisscross (Post 5982936)
The hong kong emblem I got for my old e36 was crooked. When it was in the tabs, it was tilted like 10 degrees to the right :rofl: and the text was noticeably different than the OEM one I replaced.

Good thing it was only $5

Oh well, I paid $3 for mine and it fit fine... I don't know how graphically correct the emblem was though.

drive by72 04-08-2011 09:20 PM

Mes got another item: radiator support.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
50 bucks, came in black, and wasnt bad as far as quality goes. Sure it wasnt OEM name but its a radiator support, there isnt really anything that can go wrong other than missing/wrong holes (which wasnt the case with this). I'm happy with it.

Another one that was pretty good was this nose panel
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Unlike the radiator support, this was OEM name. It was 100 shipped to my door. There isnt really much to say about it, other than it lined up properly. It was primed when I got it, so it was ready to go for any color with a quick 400 sand.

I'm just going down the "won/purchased" tab under my ebay :rofl: Is it bad if I have more to write as well?

FenderBender 04-08-2011 09:23 PM

I'm sure I have plenty more to write about.

drive by72 04-08-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderBender (Post 5983135)
I'm sure I have plenty more to write about.

Yes, yes I bet you do

: popcorn:
We have until the world ends

eclipsor 04-09-2011 01:05 AM

I basically got my whole cooling system from ebay and had no problem

I have also chrome kidney grills, but they look way too much like cheap plastic and thats why theyre not on my car

And I also have 2 ebay emblems which look good to me :]

OH! and the taiwanese prepainted lip spoiler is legit

I want to get wheel emblem decals but idk what size :/

kode302 04-09-2011 05:05 AM

I bought replacement clutch 180,control arms 110,and magnetic drain plug free with ebay bucks. All have been good to me. That 4,000,000 hp electric turbo sounds tempting though.

PhilipWOT 04-09-2011 05:57 AM

The only ebay part I have ever bought was a pre-painted avus E46 style lip spoiler that was on my M3. The quality of material used was fair, but not great. The color match was near perfect, but the paint was cheap and began cracking and fading badly after just 2 years.
I guess for $35 it was ok, but I definitely won't be buying another one.

Sent from my pants using WeinerApp

license2chill 04-09-2011 04:26 PM

ive bought all kinds of parts from ebay... maxima halos and led tail lights, turn signal mirrors, egr valve... catback exhaust for an impreza, tail lights.... euro grill, halo headlights, neuspeed short shift kit, tektonics tuning racing chip, clear side mArkers for jetta.... fog light housing and foglight minus the bulbs for m3, gforcechip, front an rear exhaust maifold, peake research tool... everyhthing was amazing and what i wanted except the gforcechip that i didnt give a fair trial... also i was expecting the foglights to have bulbs in them an the manifolds wont b here for a few days

tchavera 04-09-2011 09:10 PM

i've only bought tail lights from ebay and was very unsatisfied. cheaply made and cheaply sealed. i guess it's expected for 55 shipped. i posted negative feedback but they offered me a 20 partial refund to change my feedback. so i swallowed my pride and changed it

crisscross 04-09-2011 09:13 PM

:rofl: I didn't know they could do that. How good is feedback then if it can be changed?

I forgot I got the entire front suspension rebuild kit from FCP groton, it was great quality. :thumbup:

ZeGerman 04-09-2011 09:24 PM

Man, I wouldn't change a negative review for anything if it was justified. People need to know when crap is crap, and they essentially bribed you into lying. Better thing to do would be to agree to change your review, accept their compensation, spend it, then change your review back to negative and notify eBay that a vendor is bribing unsatisfied customers to provide falsified reviews.

miles_trail 04-13-2011 09:01 PM

How about O2 sensors?, does any one have experience with the ebay ones?. The first one that pops up is a Bosch for $56 shipped, which sounds way better than $82+ S&H from bavauto, I assume since it's a Bosch it would be fine, they also have Walker, APW, and FTK.

Moeman10 04-13-2011 09:06 PM

How did I miss this thread for like 5 days? Good idea Chad.

ZeGerman 04-13-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miles_trail (Post 5995004)
How about O2 sensors?, does any one have experience with the ebay ones?. The first one that pops up is a Bosch for $56 shipped, which sounds way better than $82+ S&H from bavauto, I assume since it's a Bosch it would be fine, they also have Walker, APW, and FTK.

I'm not sure I would trust the seller if you are seeing Bosch O2 sensors for significantly cheaper than elsewhere. I'm not saying it's too good to be true, but I've heard stories of cheap Chinese knockoffs being sold as OEM parts (essentially like someone selling fake watches, but for car parts).

noexceptions325 04-14-2011 12:09 AM

Ebay 65 dollar fuel pump is great... but add your own clamp to the internal hose at the to PRIOR to the first installation otherwise it will pop off and cause you immense grief. Ebay interior panel clips were Excellent for about .04 cents a piece. The ebay window sliders from turkey $2.50 a piece were a little tight but seem to work GREAT. DEPO smoked tails are awesome fitment was tricky but the quality and shipping was wicked fast, for around 35 bucks (submitted offer) you cant go wrong :thumbup:

i could go into all the e30 parts but i digress
ohh and license to chill... your a moron GTFO... we're in the e36 section no-one wants to hear about you stupid maxima parts, g-force maf resister, or integra parts..... stop being stupid and contribute

Leovigilde 04-14-2011 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moeman10 (Post 5995014)
How did I miss this thread for like 5 days? Good idea Chad.

It came out of nowhere! I just found it to! Lol funny thing is, is I remember him saying he was gonna start this lol

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App