Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Lifting a 2004 X3? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533684)

Soshrillitsill 04-10-2011 04:46 PM

Lifting a 2004 X3?
 
Does anyone know if you can lift an X3? I'm trying to get some bigger tires to make it look better and do better when camping off road. I was thinking that just getting a little bit bigger shocks it could lift it by just a few inches. Has anyone done something like this? If so what did you do and how larg of tires can an X3 fit? I saw that there was a hunter conversion that did this but I can't find what they used to do it. Below is the link.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/23/h...the-x3-hunter/

Evlengr 04-11-2011 10:14 AM

Don't look to this site for those kind of answers. Most here will admonish you for such thing. Try shimmers site.

Sent from my DROIDX

UberXY 04-11-2011 01:00 PM

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...8_369_full.jpg

mlukas161 04-11-2011 02:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I like the look of a lifted X3 if it's done right. I think these are cool looking...

This is probably the most comprehensive knowledge base regarding all things X-3, so I think you posted in the right place. Not sure anyone here has lifted an X-3 before though, so you may not get a great number of replies.

If you do it, make sure to post photos.

Soshrillitsill 04-11-2011 06:13 PM

Yea ive noticed that no one has really said much about this but I do plan on looking into it more so I can get some tires on that I can feel safe using off road. I am having a custom roof rack being installed a week from today (2-3 day billed time) so I can post pics of that when its done probably by Thursday. Also getting the wheels in a mat black over this next weekend. Here is what it looks like now.

[IMG]Dirt Trails LV[/IMG]


Quote:

Originally Posted by mlukas161 (Post 5988721)
I like the look of a lifted X3 if it's done right. I think these are cool looking...

This is probably the most comprehensive knowledge base regarding all things X-3, so I think you posted in the right place. Not sure anyone here has lifted an X-3 before though, so you may not get a great number of replies.

If you do it, make sure to post photos.


Soshrillitsill 04-11-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evlengr (Post 5988044)
Don't look to this site for those kind of answers. Most here will admonish you for such thing. Try shimmers site.

Sent from my DROIDX

what is shimmers?

mujjuman 04-11-2011 06:17 PM

That would look pretty cool.

Evlengr 04-12-2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soshrillitsill (Post 5989265)
what is shimmers?


sorry xbimmers...fat fingers and auto correct. They seem to be a younger breed of X3 owners that aren't afraid to make changes in their X3's.

People here (not all mind you) seem to think making changes are installing new floor mats.

Soshrillitsill 04-12-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evlengr (Post 5990745)
sorry xbimmers...fat fingers and auto correct. They seem to be a younger breed of X3 owners that aren't afraid to make changes in their X3's.

People here (not all mind you) seem to think making changes are installing new floor mats.


LMAO haha ok ill check it out :thumbup:

zeozaza 04-12-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soshrillitsill (Post 5986351)
Does anyone know if you can lift an X3? I'm trying to get some bigger tires to make it look better and do better when camping off road. I was thinking that just getting a little bit bigger shocks it could lift it by just a few inches. Has anyone done something like this? If so what did you do and how larg of tires can an X3 fit? I saw that there was a hunter conversion that did this but I can't find what they used to do it. Below is the link.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/23/h...the-x3-hunter/

Please update if u find out something, i also have a 2004 x3 and wanted to raise it a little as well... and i bought mine with 18" rims and very low profile tires..

Soshrillitsill 04-12-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeozaza (Post 5991585)
Please update if u find out something, i also have a 2004 x3 and wanted to raise it a little as well... and i bought mine with 18" rims and very low profile tires..

I def. will and if you find any info out please let me know. I just posted the same question to another x3 group that was outlined in the above convo. :thumbup:

ukfan4sure! 04-12-2011 06:07 PM

I can't imaging messing around with all of the expensive steering and handling geometries of these vehicles and keep your sanity.

My mods consist of changing all of the REGULAR defective parts that keep popping up every other paycheck. That's been plenty of "mod" for me.

Evlengr 04-12-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukfan4sure! (Post 5991873)
I can't imaging messing around with all of the expensive steering and handling geometries of these vehicles and keep your sanity.

My mods consist of changing all of the REGULAR defective parts that keep popping up every other paycheck. That's been plenty of "mod" for me.

Any vehicle that costs me more than two regular car payments in a row goes bye bye. Not worth it when lots of good CPO to be had.

mlukas161 04-13-2011 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soshrillitsill (Post 5986351)
Does anyone know if you can lift an X3? I'm trying to get some bigger tires to make it look better and do better when camping off road. I was thinking that just getting a little bit bigger shocks it could lift it by just a few inches. Has anyone done something like this? If so what did you do and how larg of tires can an X3 fit? I saw that there was a hunter conversion that did this but I can't find what they used to do it. Below is the link.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/23/h...the-x3-hunter/

One of the things I'd be worried about is the angle of the driveshaft if you lift it. You'd probably have to lower the transfer case somehow to avoid putting a ton of stress and premature wear on your gears in the rear diff bc the angle of the drive shaft would increase.

X3emist 04-14-2011 04:54 PM

If you got money burnin' a hole in yo pocket, here ya go- http://www.hartge.de/e/offroad_4819.html

Soshrillitsill 04-26-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeozaza (Post 5991585)
Please update if u find out something, i also have a 2004 x3 and wanted to raise it a little as well... and i bought mine with 18" rims and very low profile tires..

So far so good next step larger tires. We maid the roof rack actually have the front part be removable so if you want the sunroof to be free of a rack and just be clear sky's you can. :thumbup:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

muleskinner93 03-31-2012 08:06 AM

did you ever get the lift done? I'm interested in making my x3 more off road friendly

Northwestguy 03-31-2012 09:49 PM

I like where you are going with this. I too am looking to buy one (jumping from the Audi flagship) and go down a similar road.
I have thought about it a little and I think that you could have some delrin spacer blocks machined for spacing between the top of the struts and the body. I'd say a 1.5" to 2" block would get you enough room for a more appropriate off road type tire that would give you more traction and more rubber protecting your rims. Delrin or a UHMW type plastic can be sourced from any decent plastic shop and any machine shop could turn them down in short order.

mlacour99 05-01-2012 11:44 PM

Keep me posted on the lift I'm interested. And also a skid plate would be cool too

TexasTurk 05-06-2012 06:25 PM

So, I was mildly interested in a similar idea. I started with tires. A more off-road savvy friend mentioned tires are usually the easiest way to get some extra ground clearance, and I got a bit over an inch extra this way.

I ended up putting slightly larger-sidewall all-terrain (light truck - style) tires on the wife's X3. They are only 5% higher aspect ratio, so some speedometer error but not much.
I would caution that clearances get tight going much larger than the size I picked out. Like, 10% higher in aspect ratio might contact the rear trailing arm.

You can combat this by changing to different offset or using spacers, as I think there's another 1"-1.5" of clearance to fenders etc. - the spring perches on the front for example leave plenty of room. Also, usually the least of my concerns, but visually, I can point out that there's at least a good half-inch you could move the wheel / tire out before it looks like it's actually sticking out past the sheet metal.

It's not the kind of thing I feel super-comfortable experimenting with, especially because it's the wife's car - not sure how she'll handle a blowout while driving if there's serious tire-to-body contact. But, I've also considered things like modified control arms or strut-to-spindle spacers. Then you'll of course run into issues with the halfshafts drooping too far etc....

There's a lot of challenges that would have to be overcome with most of the above, but it might be pretty cool in the end, so good luck.

murderland 05-06-2012 06:46 PM

is it me or does evelngr has info on many questions about the x3

06bluex3 05-07-2012 03:54 PM

Hi, I am in the process of looking at as well.
Have 17 / 55 wheels, and put cooper 65s on last year and did 7000 Kim's around outback Australia.
Not one puncture! Only raised it an inch, but good grip.

mlacour99 05-07-2012 08:19 PM

My friend suggested maybe using the belstien f 5100 adjustable shocks that would give you about a 2 in lift but I'm not sure if they would fit on the x3

mlacour99 05-24-2012 04:19 AM

http://universalcarlifts.com/product...products_id=64

will this work?

X3emist 05-24-2012 09:26 AM

Another idea
 
For what it would probably cost to successfully lift your X3 you could buy an old beater Jeep Cherokee to use for off roading and camping. You can find those things all over the place real cheap and they are bullet proof.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms