Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Towing and hitches! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534342)

db2boy 04-13-2011 09:40 AM

Towing and hitches!

Hi all,
First post so please go easy with me on a question that might be sacrilege in the 6 world! Currently considering a couple of vehicles, one of which is a 2004 645 that I am leaning towards.

Could I use the 6 to tow a single jet ski? If this is acceptable can anyone recommend any hidden hitches to do this please?

Many thanks

Ant

BlaZinMJ3 04-13-2011 10:46 AM

Please dont ruin the 6 series with a hitch. Can it be done? I'm sure it can. Should it be done? I hope you dont. I have a jetski as well and use my SUV.

db2boy 04-13-2011 11:18 AM

Hmm I suspected this would be the line of reply - can you expand on the context of 'ruin'? Do you mean spoil the lines, don't get it near the water, abuse the drive train from towing?

I have just moved to the US and don't have a fleet of cars here (as you appear to - nice!!), difficult to get credit as my credit history from the UK counts for nothing here and no idea how long I will stay currently so reluctant to move money from the UK at this time. I was hoping for one vehicle for now to get by with and was hoping I could make the 6 do this without changing plans and heading more down the SUV route :-)

Thanks

Ant

whitedesigns 04-13-2011 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=db2boy;5993521]Hmm I suspected this would be the line of reply - can you expand on the context of 'ruin'? Do you mean spoil the lines, don't get it near the water, abuse the drive train from towing?

Oh Boy. You're going to hear about it.

You see, putting on a trailer hitch is out of the question, but adding a spoiler, putting huge rims that make your car look like a covered wagon, and spending 5K to increase horsepower by 3% is just fine.

Welcome!

BlaZinMJ3 04-13-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db2boy (Post 5993521)
Hmm I suspected this would be the line of reply - can you expand on the context of 'ruin'? Do you mean spoil the lines, don't get it near the water, abuse the drive train from towing?

I have just moved to the US and don't have a fleet of cars here (as you appear to - nice!!), difficult to get credit as my credit history from the UK counts for nothing here and no idea how long I will stay currently so reluctant to move money from the UK at this time. I was hoping for one vehicle for now to get by with and was hoping I could make the 6 do this without changing plans and heading more down the SUV route :-)

Thanks

Ant

well in that case, by all means, put a hitch on.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2004_BMW_6+Series.htm

pablo645 04-13-2011 12:26 PM

Now , now whitedesigns, don't be too hard :nono:. Lets give him some help :D. Personally I wouldn't do it (putting a hitch on a GT) but it's your car db2boy and you are in America now so you can do whatever you want with it. The members here treasure their cars and will tell you not to do it, not because the car mechanically isn't capable but because the car is a sports car and is too beautiful to be treated in any other way.I understand your situation so think carefully what you really want. Do not let your desire cloud your judgment. Sure, you want a 6 but is it practical for your needs? Think about your purchase beforehand otherwise you may regret it. I moved into a 6 because the wife has the SUV that we use to haul things.

gregb 04-13-2011 12:39 PM

I suspect that you will get mostly negative responses from the members here. I wouldn't do it, but like many other members, I have an SUV driven by the wife that can handle it. It would definitely "violate" the sports performance purity of the six and be a questionable move. I suggest you find a beat up pickup truck for less than a grand, which would do the job much better. One practical question might be the pull out of the water on a wet ramp, depending on how steep - I know a jet ski doesn't weigh much, but with that torque, the tires break free rather easily.... (I do recall backing down a snow-covered hill that my six couldn't handle in the last snow event here in Buckhead... :(

Bk650 04-13-2011 12:55 PM

find a friend with a truck lol.. Im jk..kinda.. Its your car man do what you have to but im with blazin plz dont if you can avoid it.

TopDownInFL 04-13-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitedesigns (Post 5993670)

You see, putting on a trailer hitch is out of the question, but adding a spoiler, putting huge rims that make your car look like a covered wagon, and spending 5K to increase horsepower by 3% is just fine.

Welcome!

ROFLMAO!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pablo645 (Post 5993700)
Now , now whitedesigns, don't be too hard

Pablo - I think he was being sarcastic. :thumbup:

tampamark 04-13-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db2boy (Post 5993251)
Hi all,
First post so please go easy with me on a question that might be sacrilege in the 6 world! Currently considering a couple of vehicles, one of which is a 2004 645 that I am leaning towards.

Could I use the 6 to tow a single jet ski? If this is acceptable can anyone recommend any hidden hitches to do this please?

Many thanks

Ant

Do it if you want. You won't hurt this car towing a stupid jetski.

I have had company cars for the last 10 years, from Taurus to Malibu to Equinox. All with less beef in the system and able to pull a jetski. Just think of the weight like some fat dudes in the car with you. It will handle it no problem and not give you any fits. Pulling lawn trailers, a real boat (not a dingy), or more would be a real strain.

If you buy a 645 it is nothing more than a ~$25k car, treat it like such.

Me, I bought a Jeep just for this function. But I am not sure you would be willing to buy a second vehicle around $10k just for a simple task. Not to mention the additional insurance, yearly registration, upkeep, etc.

http://mysite.verizon.net/mark00/sit...s/IMAG0060.jpg

vegas645 04-13-2011 07:41 PM

How about towing a fifth wheel??

Jaronk56 04-13-2011 08:04 PM

BUY A TRUCK! please dont tow anything with a sports car.... Everyone will be laughin in the inside... atleast i would

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1700035_n.jpg
My towpig

BlaZinMJ3 04-13-2011 09:10 PM

nice rxp. i had to give mine up because the ocean used to toss me around on that thing. went and got the rxt so the weight could keep me down

645/333 04-15-2011 01:29 AM

Towing hitch

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregb (Post 5993728)
I suspect that you will get mostly negative responses from the members here. I wouldn't do it, but like many other members, I have an SUV driven by the wife that can handle it. It would definitely "violate" the sports performance purity of the six and be a questionable move. I suggest you find a beat up pickup truck for less than a grand, which would do the job much better. One practical question might be the pull out of the water on a wet ramp, depending on how steep - I know a jet ski doesn't weigh much, but with that torque, the tires break free rather easily.... (I do recall backing down a snow-covered hill that my six couldn't handle in the last snow event here in Buckhead... :(

Why would you want to get salt water all over your rear axle and suspension ??? very corrosive, and the sand, worse than having your swimming trunks full of it........lol

tampamark 04-15-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 645/333 (Post 5997773)
Why would you want to get salt water all over your rear axle and suspension ??? very corrosive, and the sand, worse than having your swimming trunks full of it........lol

If he does it he had better have a towel in that front seat. When loading up a ski on the boat ramp you always end up getting freshly soaked, then you have to jump right in your vehicle and drive it up and out.

As far as saltwater, that is what hoses and a freshwater rinse is for.

Quote:

One practical question might be the pull out of the water on a wet ramp, depending on how steep - I know a jet ski doesn't weigh much, but with that torque, the tires break free rather easily
Traction Control should make this simple. Boat ramps are not that steep. Slippery, yes. But he should be able to ease it out.

db2boy 04-16-2011 12:47 PM

Great reading and some sound and funny advice :-) Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. I'm torn now and have been browsing SUVs as well now. Sensible option is SUV for mountain bike and ski etc, fun option is the 6. Still pondering........

Rgds

Ant

3Pedals_6Speeds 04-16-2011 03:08 PM

As mentioned, it's your car, do what you want. i wouldn't, for all the reasons stated.

One consideration may be the resale. Given the overwhelming majority would not do this to their car, your future buyer pool may shrink enormously as they won't know exactly how you used the hitch (really heavy stuff that's bad for the car, or lots of salt water dips without rinsing. You might bec losing hundreds of dollars for every use, in which case, go rent a pickup for the day.

tampamark 04-16-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Pedals_6Speeds (Post 6001047)
As mentioned, it's your car, do what you want. i wouldn't, for all the reasons stated.

One consideration may be the resale. Given the overwhelming majority would not do this to their car, your future buyer pool may shrink enormously as they won't know exactly how you used the hitch (really heavy stuff that's bad for the car, or lots of salt water dips without rinsing. You might bec losing hundreds of dollars for every use, in which case, go rent a pickup for the day.

I feel like a myth-buster in this thread! Bottom line is a hitch can be removed by simply taking the bolts out and dropping it. Very simple process. So no one would ever know he even had a hitch. Perhaps there are some folks who have cars now on this board that someone at one time had a hitch. You will never know.

Having put a hitch on to every company car that I have had over 14 years I have become a real pro at installing hitches. Installing and removing 12 hitches to a variety of cars in 14 years will do that. These hitches are straight bolt on items, even novice wrenchers can put one on. I can install and remove a hitch in 15 minutes typically. Someone doing for the first time would take maybe an hour. Or more if they struggle.

Install instructions:
http://sitepro12.sitepro.com/masterl..._11513_INS.pdf

db2boy 04-17-2011 08:56 AM

Keep it coming chaps. I have been pondering whilst having an internal conflict in my mind and looking at SUVs. With regard the resale value I think that is a fair comment if I was constantly planning to lug around a heavy load. Taking a single wave runner out 3-4 times a month down the road can't have that much of an impact on such a beast of a car!?! Its a BMW, it has a nice torquey engine and when towing one would be expecting to do things calmly and smoothly :-)

Valid point on getting in the car after being in the water, no matter what vehicle I end up getting would definitely be investing in waterproof seat covers and mats for weekend fun trips :-)

Thanks for the pointer to the hitch. I can't find any pictures of a 6 with one installed (maybe that is a sign!), was interested to see one the hitch connector that slots into the frame was removed how visible the hitch frame was - anyone know of such an image?

Thanks

BlaZinMJ3 04-17-2011 12:17 PM

dude, just buy one. you seem to have made your mind up. buy it, install it, and post it so in the future when someone asks about hitches, we can point him/her to this thread.

3Pedals_6Speeds 04-17-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tampamark (Post 6001101)
Bottom line is a hitch can be removed by simply taking the bolts out and dropping it. Very simple process. So no one would ever know he even had a hitch.

True, but a comprehensive inspection is going to reveal holes drilled on the underside. Agreed though, just do it, it's your car.

tampamark 04-17-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Pedals_6Speeds (Post 6002651)
True, but a comprehensive inspection is going to reveal holes drilled on the underside. Agreed though, just do it, it's your car.

The installation instructions show that existing holes are used, I posted the link above. No new ones are drilled. That is why I say there will be no evidence. If I was him I would have very little concern with resale value linked to the hitch.

After removing numerous hitches over the years, once they are off there is no way to tell they were ever there. Especially when the bolt holes that are used will have the original bolts placed back in them.

TxTaz 04-17-2011 03:34 PM

Just don't forget the speed rated trailer tires. :rofl:

Do what you want and forget about what others say. It's your car.

Jitoo 04-18-2011 03:40 PM

It's your car and you will cetaily get stares with the "custom job"

Hey if I were you get the 6er and rent a truck for the weekend when you need to tow your jetski

tampamark 04-18-2011 08:54 PM

Too bad this hitch isn't available for his car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cA7rMgWJ8M