Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 (1997 - 2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   engine swap questions (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534447)

rambii 04-13-2011 05:22 PM

engine swap questions

So I'm swapping the engine in my car with the same but newer engine. I have a 1998 528i, the engine is M52B28. I wanted to to know what needs to be replaced on the car since I'm going to be swapping the engine. I've been searching for an hour on and off this forum and I haven't found anything.

Can anyone please help me and give me some input on what needs to be replaced??

Thanks!

Jimmys 530i 04-13-2011 06:10 PM

Oil pan gasket, oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, thermostat housing, water pump, intake manifold gasket, exhaust manifold flange gasket, motor mounts, guibilo, transmission mounts, exhaust manifold end gasket, vacuum hoses, power steering hoses, vanos seals, vanos to cylinder head gasket, intake boots, cold crank case ventilation valve along with all hoses, and fuel injector o-rings.

That is my shopping list when I swap an engine. Many people will omit parts, but I hate doing warranty work, so I change everything the first time. I have not had a single comeback for over 20 engine swaps.

lild 04-13-2011 06:20 PM

there are some difference's with the older single vanos and the newer double vanos. you will need a ecu, wire harness, different type of o2 sensors, maf, possibly tranny, some of the older ones had the gm tranny in it, vanos silinoid. so if you get a used motor get a complete with intake manifold, even these are different. unforanutely bmw changed quite a bit form 98 to 99 and on.

plus what the previos poster posted.

Jimmys 530i 04-13-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lild (Post 5994608)
there are some difference's with the older single vanos and the newer double vanos. you will need a ecu, wire harness, different type of o2 sensors, maf, possibly tranny, some of the older ones had the gm tranny in it, vanos silinoid. so if you get a used motor get a complete with intake manifold, even these are different. unforanutely bmw changed quite a bit form 98 to 99 and on.

plus what the previos poster posted.

Oh, I didn't realize the op wanted to put a TU into his car. The swap from a 98 to a 99+ requires a lot of work. I would stick with the current engine that is in the car. You can get an engine from a 96-99 328i e36 chassis, or 97-98 528i. I have done a swap from a 2002 530i manual into a 1997 528i automatic. It was very difficult, and in the end, I probably spent over 20 hours programming the car.

JimLev 04-13-2011 09:15 PM

Plus the TU engine uses drive by wire, he has a throttle cable.
He's better off sticking with the same engine.

rambii 04-14-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimLev (Post 5995032)
Plus the TU engine uses drive by wire, he has a throttle cable.
He's better off sticking with the same engine.

the mechanic is dealing with the swap im not doing anything. i just wanted to know what to look out for and i dont want him to rip me off saying you have to replace a bunch of unecessary things. also, i want to make sure he replaces the things that need to be replaced.

i think its going to be a swap with the same year engine so he can avoid the headache. i dont have to much info on the swap, my dad is taking care of everything.

thanks btw for the input.

lild 04-14-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambii (Post 5995961)
the mechanic is dealing with the swap im not doing anything. i just wanted to know what to look out for and i dont want him to rip me off saying you have to replace a bunch of unecessary things. also, i want to make sure he replaces the things that need to be replaced.

i think its going to be a swap with the same year engine so he can avoid the headache. i dont have to much info on the swap, my dad is taking care of everything.

thanks btw for the input.

no problem. there is a lot to change out, so it's best to stick with the same yr. or just have the one you got rebuilt.