Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1982 - 1993) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   E30 glass question and Oh, BTW... (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537338)

dreamketcher 04-26-2011 02:12 PM

E30 glass question and Oh, BTW...

I just bought an '87 325 that has glass damage. I am getting a new front windshield and it has a pop out passengers side window that I have to replace. Question... are all E30 side glass the same. I have an 84 318i but they are sealed in... non pop out... as I have to drive the car 350 miles to get it home I am getting the front done there from safelite and I thought I would either bring a side glass with me if I can find one if not just cut a piece of 1/4 in plywood or plexiglass and duct tape it in.
ALSO
it has the 2.93 diff in it will a 2.7x fit and what all should i get to make that change... drive shaft or something like that perhaps CSB... any info is a help... :confused:

_Ethrty-Andy_ 04-26-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamketcher (Post 6024629)
I just bought an '87 325 that has glass damage. I am getting a new front windshield and it has a pop out passengers side window that I have to replace. Question... are all E30 side glass the same. I have an 84 318i but they are sealed in... non pop out... as I have to drive the car 350 miles to get it home I am getting the front done there from safelite and I thought I would either bring a side glass with me if I can find one if not just cut a piece of 1/4 in plywood or plexiglass and duct tape it in.
ALSO
it has the 2.93 diff in it will a 2.7x fit and what all should i get to make that change... drive shaft or something like that perhaps CSB... any info is a help... :confused:

Are you talking about the reR windows in a coupe or the ones in the doors?

Doffs require nothigng other than themselves to replace, but unless you want uber economy, I'd be going the opposite way with your ratios

First time 04-26-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamketcher (Post 6024629)
ALSO

I believe the sealed and pop out glass demensions are the same. But I wouldnt go throught the hassle of pulling the glass off you 318i just to temporarily use it on the '87.

Just find another pop out glass to replace the broken one with if you can.

dreamketcher 04-27-2011 08:46 AM

thanks first time... I was planning to go to a pick n pull... what i am thinking now is that I will get a half sheet of plexi and tape it in... that way i can just get back on the road quicker. I am dreading the drive but am psyched to get the eta..:D

ethrty... I am going for econ... gas is going to 5 buck a gal they say... " I am just a poor boy and a long way from home."...