Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   BMW ConnectedDrive Interest (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538853)

Levster 05-03-2011 06:54 AM

BMW ConnectedDrive Interest

Hey guys, I've been researching BMW ConnectedDrive/BMW Apps for a while now and it really peevs me that those of us with Combox's can't get a software update to add this feature. I've been talking to a couple vendors who do their installs and they don't have anything available for us 7 series yet, so I want to solicit BMW NA on behalf of as many F01/F02 owners as I can get formally requesting a software update for ConnectedDrive/BMW Apps. I'll write the letter and submit it to the board for approval and then we can all sign and send to BMW NA. I know its a longshot but it's not a lot of work for anyone it can only help. If you don't care about ConnectedDrive or think the BMW Apps are useless to you let me give you a few points to consider:

Having CD/Apps will raise the resale value of your car because it's a feature many regular owners won't have/pay money for

The current apps available (Facebook, Twitter, Pandora) are JUST the beginning. Imagine saying the iphone is useless because you didn't like the apps on it when it first came out, the BMW App store WILL GROW. It's not hard to imagine weather apps and movie showtime apps in the future just to name a few, in 1-2 years the suite of apps will be amazing I'm sure, and we'll miss out on all of them if we don't make a push to get it now.

ConnectedDrive will have more than just apps, ConnectedDrive is a platform to drive all types of functions in iDrive like internet browsing for example. Right now the only way to get CD is through the BMW Apps/6NR option, I'm sure in the future this may change but for us it
may be the only opportunity for us to get this function.

You already paid for the damn car! Don't let yourself get shortchanged because you happened to get your car in the wrong month, you paid 80 grand plus for the car you might as well have at least the opportunity to have every single function thats available to other buyers of the car, within reason, and trust me this is within reason, if 3rd party vendors can add this function for other models you know BMW's engineers are fully capable of incorporating it the next software update. And just to be clear, I'm not asking BMW to make it free, we should pay just like everybody else, it's only $250, compared to the price of the car or an iphone cradle its nothing.

I'll post more links on CD/BMW Apps in a seperate thread soon but for now I need to get interest in who's willing to put their name on this letter, it's not a lot of work at all, it's basically no work to be honest all you have to do is read the letter and sign of you agree, and if for nothing else sign it for your fellow 7 owners who do value and want this feature.

Thanks for reading this far and sorry this turned into a monster post :)

nyranger74 05-03-2011 05:22 PM

Which vendors have you contacted. I just finished a full Combox/6NR/PlugIn retrofit for my E70 2011 X5

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

Levster 05-03-2011 06:43 PM

I talked to Patrys and Aleks and they both said they don't have anything for the F series yet, do you?

fmiddleton 05-03-2011 07:31 PM

I got my email from Patryk this morning with a no-go on any F-series cars yet...but I also offered mine up as a guinea pig :D. So, bottom line, yes I'm a bit peeved that I don't have connected drive, although I've seen a post somewhere else that BMW is planning a retrofit module for June, which is about in line with a tip-off from my dealership that they were hoping to have something soon (was told on the day I got the car, but not by the sales guy)

And of course, yes I'd sign it...

Levster 05-03-2011 08:05 PM

good to hear, I don't know if you've read the BMW NA bulletin saying that 6NR/CD won't be offered on pre-03/11 build cars but it's good to hear that your dealership is getting word otherwise. I think there's a possibility BMW will offer it on their own but now is the time to make a big push as owners because they will listen to us, especially if we're organized and in relatively large numbers. we'll change that sig of yours ;)

fmiddleton 05-03-2011 08:45 PM

I would be interested to know...those who've used Patryk et al, is there a physical device that needs to be added. If not, I might make the investment in a cable and hook mine up to the computer to see if I can trip the magic flags.

nyranger74 05-04-2011 03:12 AM

I went with Patrys for my retrofit. I know hes working on a solution for F series. For just the apps it's a software update and firmware update for the CIC. To get the plugin it's a hardware/wiring retrofit. I doubt BMW will offer this.

spadae2 05-04-2011 09:57 PM

Spoke to a BMW factory rep at NYC auto show. States "we are working on the upgrade path, the software is made to be upgraded."

Levster 05-05-2011 12:43 AM

Good news, I'm working on a draft of the letter now, I think it'll be really good for us as 7 owners to put our weight behind this issue now. I emailed my service rep too, waiting on a response.

Laureate2 05-05-2011 08:42 AM

Sign Me UP

I'd love to get this update and believe that a formal letter can be very effective. Please let me know when I can sign. Good show!!!

Levster 05-05-2011 10:10 AM

Great, it'll be ready by the end of this weekend. Lets do this guys!

dingus 05-05-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spadae2 (Post 6044640)
Spoke to a BMW factory rep at NYC auto show. States "we are working on the upgrade path, the software is made to be upgraded."

Are you sure he wasn't talking about upgrading the apps themselves? Because BMW has talked about that a lot.

What we want to know is if they will add the Apps feature itself (6NR) to older cars that don't have it at all.

CobraCabbage 05-05-2011 07:55 PM

Bimmer Retrofit told me that they should have a combox retrofit for the F01 in June.

spadae2 05-07-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingus (Post 6046675)
Are you sure he wasn't talking about upgrading the apps themselves? Because BMW has talked about that a lot.

What we want to know is if they will add the Apps feature itself (6NR) to older cars that don't have it at all.

Yes, I told I him mine is a 2010 Jan build and wanted the combos update along with the direct iPod connection.

Levster 05-07-2011 03:04 PM

So if they're doing a retrofit those of us with the combox already will only need a software update correct?

nyranger74 05-08-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levster (Post 6050433)
So if they're doing a retrofit those of us with the combox already will only need a software update correct?

It's a hardware too, if you want the plug-in and video out?

Levster 05-08-2011 09:40 AM

what if you only want CONNECTEDdrive/Apps?

nyranger74 05-08-2011 10:56 AM

It's just software

Sheemer 05-11-2011 10:13 PM

excellent idea and followthrough let me know where and when to sign (mine as a May 2010 build)

Levster 05-11-2011 11:41 PM

You got it, I'm drafting it as we speak. I've been super busy so I wasn't able to have it ready by past weekend but hopefully I'll he ready to post a draft by Saturday or Sunday night.

fireswami 05-13-2011 05:50 PM

i'm interested!

thrang 05-14-2011 10:01 PM

Interested as well - 2011 740i, July 2010 build...

fireswami 05-15-2011 07:24 PM

Does anyone know if the dealerships are going to offer an upgrade to 6NR to support BMW Apps for those of us with the 2011 Nov/Dec build 740's? My dealer in Berkeley, CA said there wasn't an upgrade yet but to keep in touch. Let me know if anyone knows anything, thanks!

kbansal 05-19-2011 12:30 PM

I would definitely be interested to get this upgrade.

Sheemer 05-21-2011 09:27 PM

whats the latest?