Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Remote Control Key Fails Intermittently (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546315)

cincy61 06-04-2011 02:47 PM

Remote Control Key Fails Intermittently

My remote control key on my 2011 535xi often fails when the car has been sitting in the sun. I have to manually unlock the car and hold the key to the steering column to start it. The temperature of the remote control doesn't seem to matter. The battery on the remote was putting out 3 V. I changed the battery to a new one (reading 3.1V) but it is the same. When the car cools off, the same remote works fine.

I took it to the dealer but it was working fine when I got there and they had no ideas.

Can anyone explain this to me?

thanks

cincy61 08-20-2011 11:55 AM

Remote Key Fails Intermittently

Just a follow up - it began to fail more frequently (although still when the car temperature was elevated). I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the receiver and it works fine. The part took 7-10 days to arrive however.

planet 08-20-2011 11:57 AM

Thank you very much for following up with the resolution.

pera 08-20-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincy61 (Post 6267875)
Just a follow up - it began to fail more frequently (although still when the car temperature was elevated). I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the receiver and it works fine. The part took 7-10 days to arrive however.

Did the dealer indicate what the issue was with the key fob ?

dadesidon 08-20-2011 01:39 PM

I am having this exact problem in Dallas and am 100% sure it is because of the sun. It only started after the car was left outside. It's annoying. I have a call in to the dealer to get this remedied. Will update.

cincy61 08-20-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pera (Post 6267910)
Did the dealer indicate what the issue was with the key fob ?

It isn't the key fob. The receiver is an electronic device in the dash somewhere. Presumably as it heats up, some soldered joint or other stops working.

EIAlfonso 08-20-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadesidon (Post 6267993)
I am having this exact problem in Dallas and am 100% sure it is because of the sun. It only started after the car was left outside. It's annoying. I have a call in to the dealer to get this remedied. Will update.

Same thing here
I also noticed that it happens when the car is left outside

pera 08-21-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincy61 (Post 6268171)
It isn't the key fob. The receiver is an electronic device in the dash somewhere. Presumably as it heats up, some soldered joint or other stops working.

Thanks for the information cincy61

Diplomatic 04-03-2012 11:35 AM

Glad I found this thread, now I know I'm not the only one, had my car for just over 2weeks and I'm expreriencing the exact same thing. If the car is parked outside for a few hours the remote stops working and I have to use the key to unlock the car and put the remote to the steernig column to start the engine. Leave it in the garage overnight and it works just fine. The guys in the delearship were looking at me with skpeticism all over their faces (ofcourse it didn't help that it was 8am and everything worked fine).....I'm going back tomorrow

DreamCar 04-03-2012 12:09 PM

Looks like this issue is comming up recently.. added it to our sticky.. OP if you have the details of the serivice (What is the part number?) done please share it!.

maroon1991 07-13-2013 02:43 PM

I have the exact same problem with my 2011 550. Starts fine in cooler weather. If the car is left in the hot sun for >few hrs, the fob won't work. I have to hold it next to the steering column before it says "key detected, starting car possible". The car has been in the shop now 2weeks. Finally the SA called yesterday, says they will order a new antenna, will take another 4 days to get here. Is the antenna the same thing as the FBD or receiver, Ive seen mentioned above? The next thread #18 seems to be the same problem and the invoice included in one of the posts shows the part no.