Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Long Crank Issues on 750Li??? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548776)

ActiveCruise 06-15-2011 05:09 PM

Long Crank Issues on 750Li???

Hey everybody,

I have a 2009 750Li. Recently I've been getting this long crank issue when I try to start the car. It comes and goes randomly. I would say that 80% of the time, it takes 2-3 seconds to start the car, and the other 20% it starts up right away. When I try to start the car, I can hear the alternator going, and it's a good 2-3 seconds before the car would fire up.

I brought it into the dealer on Monday, and today the service manager calls and tells me that they're still trying to figure out what's causing it. She said that she had to bring her "Master Tech" in but he couldn't figure it out, so now the shop foreman is going to check it out.

I brought it into Desert BMW of Las Vegas, thinking that these guys are going to know what they're doing because they got pretty good reviews on Yelp and DealerRater, but my service manager says that she "hopes" it will be resolved by Friday.

Does anybody else have this long crank problem? Are there any BMW service guys here that can help point me in the right direction? It is a very special car to me, and I would really hate it if these guys goes snooping around and break something else in the process. Can anyone help me out with any suggestions?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

csmeance 06-15-2011 06:08 PM

The only thing I could possibly think of is to check the fuel pressure and fuel pumps to make sure they are priming and starting up well. I doubt it's an electrical issue otherwise the system would fail or give an error or fault code.

ActiveCruise 06-15-2011 06:30 PM

Yesterday the service manager said that the tech had mentioned that it was either a fuel pressure or fuel pumps, but today, she said that he's still trying to figure out it. Does it sound like a serious problem?

RGSM 06-15-2011 07:28 PM

Is having a "long crank" really a problem?!

Sorry...couldn't resist.

eLECTRO eDITION 06-15-2011 07:44 PM

Battery life maybe an issue in your 2009. Heat and or cold shortens battery life.
Looking forward to your resolution. I have a 2009 also, with thankfully no issues.
Your factory warranty should cover if with in limits.

bruno787 06-15-2011 09:40 PM

my car has developed this problem recently, but i have a 740. will get it checked this saturday.

the long cranks are random, about 2-3seconds longer than normal. this appeared after almost 2 years and 6000miles.

dbs600 06-15-2011 10:00 PM

I too have had same since new.

AdamG13 06-15-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGSM (Post 6134455)

Sorry...couldn't resist.

lol

AdamG13 06-15-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbs600 (Post 6134682)
I too have had same since new.

Really? Surprised you would put up with that. I'd make them fix it if that were happening with my car

hammadurb 06-16-2011 04:44 AM

I just experienced this the other day. I thought that maybe I didn't press the brake hard enough when I was trying to start the car.

dbs600 06-16-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamG13 (Post 6134735)
Really? Surprised you would put up with that. I'd make them fix it if that were happening with my car

Yes, I know, crazy, right? As excessively particular as I am, for some reason it does not bother me. I just don't know...?

gassy 06-16-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGSM (Post 6134455)

Sorry...couldn't resist.

Just ask Anthony Weiner his opinion on that...

ActiveCruise 06-16-2011 02:42 PM

The service manager just called back and said that the foreman gave the approval to swap out the fuel pressure regulator. That's what he believes is causing the problem. So hopefully that will resolve the long crank issue. We'll see if if in fact what it is after they're done. 5 days in the dealer so far...

ActiveCruise 07-16-2011 05:34 PM

Well. It turns out it was the fuel pressure regulator. It was lost fuel pressure every time the car was turned off, thus the long crank when I turned it back on. The replaced it and now it's working just fine.

dbs600 10-26-2012 08:37 AM

My car is 2 years old, has 18,000 miles and I've been experiencing the "long crank" problem more and more often, where after I press the start button it takes the car more than 1 or 2 ignition cranks to get the engine going. Unfortunately, the problem is intermittent and presents itself, if at all, once or twice a day; usually in the morning. The dealer states they are unable to duplicate the complaint. How do I get them to reproduce or acknowledge the problem? Is any data saved on the car's computer systems? Thanks!

Tuesday 10-26-2012 07:52 PM

I have (had) the same issue. Last night I played around with ISTA/D and did an injector calibration. I also adjusted the idle up a bit and reset all adaptations - so far so good. I will report back if the problem returns.

dbs600 10-26-2012 10:15 PM

Can you please elaborate; how do you: (1) ISTA/D, (2) do an injector calibration, (3) adjust the idle up and (4) reset all adaptations?

kpumroy 10-27-2012 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itschase (Post 7160313)
I have (had) the same issue. Last night I played around with ISTA/D and did an injector calibration. I also adjusted the idle up a bit and reset all adaptations - so far so good. I will report back if the problem returns.

Yes please do tell.

Tuesday 10-27-2012 10:08 AM

If you guys plan on owning your BMW's for more than a few years - and especially if you own one out of warranty, ISTA/D is definitely something you should be googling. They are dealer tools, available online to those determined enough to spend the time hunting them down. With ISTA/D you can check and test the functions, errors and parameters of each module in your car. It's pretty amazing - the other night I did a dynamic drive test and the car started rocking around back and forth. I was even able to program a key to my car last night despite the dealer telling me I 'need' to pay them to do it.

Injector calibration is exactly as it sounds - primarily this feature is reserved for replacement of a single or multiple injectors, it is essentially a way for the car to determine the flow rate of each injector and balance fuel delivery with injector timing.

Adjusting the idle up, again - translated literally. I raised the idle because I felt it was too low. You can make adjustments in any direction in increments of 10rpm up to a maximum of 150rpm per session.

If you run a tune this set of software is really useful because you can delete any trace of 'tuner codes' before sending your car in for service.

The software is free but you'll need an emulator to make it work properly (called ICOM emulator, not free) - and can run either in VMWorkstation or native install HDD's can be found on eBay. Run a search, if you trust your computer skills you'll be happy you now know about this.

Check out ebay or the BMW coding forums for more details.

*i am not a seller of this software nor am I affiliated with any sellers of BMW software. I just use it and thought it worth talking about since it is so insanely useful.

kpumroy 10-27-2012 02:14 PM

Thanks for the post, this is the type of information I am interested in. I follow the coding forum but it seems it is mostly about the fluff, settings for electronics comfort access options etc. I think it would be helpful to be able to tweak some of the driving dynamics. I have been hesitant because what I have seen seems to be kind of black market stuff, especially on ebay.

bimmery 10-29-2012 12:32 AM

hello.
i'm hv no knowledge about it but may i know where u boght the Icom .nowaday everyone selling Icom but a china clone(some are good quality)i scare get a bad clone Icom(they say can spoil the ecu while doing programming) did u try to do any programming?thank in advance

Tuesday 10-29-2012 06:39 AM

I do not have ICOM (or clone), I use the software emulator. I might buy a Chinese clone one of these days - if I get a good one I will definitely share my source.

Tuesday 11-01-2012 09:49 PM

Just replaced my fuel pressure regulator/filter tonight- pretty easy to do. Turns out ISTA was only a temporary fix. If the cranking issue doesn't subside I will replace the low pressure fuel pump. If it STILL does it, then I might cave and let the dealer fix it. I loathe taking my car in to the point where I gladly pay for and install my own parts - even though the car is CPO with factory warranty.

D.B.V. 03-14-2013 10:57 AM

I too had the long crank issue, along with an intermittent shudder when sitting at a red light. Also, occasionally the car would start, but then immediately die when cranking.

The initial visit to the dealer yielded the idler RPM being raised, which didn't really do much, but did make the problem less apparent.

The second and most recent visit, they are replacing the injectors and spark plugs, due to minor leaking with the injectors. I will report back, but I think that would fix the issue, as apparently it IS fuel related for most.

Also, the master tech did a low/high pressure check and said everything was fine, this after me specifically referencing fuel line issue I read about here. :)

D.B.V. 03-14-2013 12:56 PM

Update: Tech found a broken connector on the engine harness. Being replaced as well.