Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   replace battery (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549146)

mautzi 06-17-2011 11:48 AM

replace battery

Just got the replace battery message on my 550i xdrive with 9800 miles (8 months old). Says that I may continue to drive but I should replace the battery at the next opportunity. I have not called the dealer yet. Any one else see this?

moe4ever 06-17-2011 02:04 PM

I'm not even sure where the battery is located, I surely miss the simplicity of my e39.

Needsdecaf 06-17-2011 02:18 PM

Yes, it's been a fairly common bugaboo. Some cars have had issues with charging.

bfv 06-17-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moe4ever (Post 6138179)
I'm not even sure where the battery is located, I surely miss the simplicity of my e39.

in the trunk

Glock 32 06-17-2011 10:36 PM

Yip, Same place as the E39

ssj 06-18-2011 09:30 AM

How many freeway miles do you drive daily? There have been sporadic reports about the battery going bad when you do not drive enough freeway miles for an adequate charge.

bfv 06-18-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssj (Post 6139527)
How many freeway miles do you drive daily? There have been sporadic reports about the battery going bad when you do not drive enough freeway miles for an adequate charge.

I thought battery will charge when you drive in city as city driving requires frequent braking/deceleration.:dunno:

ssj 06-18-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfv (Post 6139550)
I thought battery will charge when you drive in city as city driving requires frequent braking/deceleration.:dunno:

My SA told me that the battery requires freeway driving to recharge adequately. He said 20-30 mile drive would be adequate. Unfortunately there are several of us who drive in stop/go rush hour - even if on the freeway most of the time. He said that was inadequate and recommended I charge the battery once weekly.

Rafa 06-18-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssj (Post 6139527)

I drive an hour and a half of stop and go traffic every weekday, and only get to drive at highway speeds during the weekend. However, I have not had issues with the battery or with charging, in over 9k miles. I would attribute any instances of the battery going bad to defects in the battery or alternator, not to any design issues. I am confident that a normally functioning battery and alternator would not develop any problems even when the car is driven few or no freeway miles.

jagu 06-18-2011 08:57 PM

This is utter nonsense that the battery requires a special pattern of driving to properly charge. If they should deny warranty coverage because of that, as they often did with e60s, we'd have a problem.

mautzi 06-19-2011 04:23 AM

most of my driving is highway at normal to high speeds (65-75% hwy miles)

Slaymaster 06-19-2011 04:33 AM

By chance is the battery still in it's shipping mode from the factory? Some have posted here the dealerships sometimes over look this as part of the prep which causes the battery not to charge per spec.

mautzi 06-20-2011 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaymaster (Post 6140771)
By chance is the battery still in it's shipping mode from the factory? Some have posted here the dealerships sometimes over look this as part of the prep which causes the battery not to charge per spec.

not sure but the car is 8 months old. Calling dealer this am.

bfv 06-20-2011 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssj (Post 6139578)
My SA told me that the battery requires freeway driving to recharge adequately. He said 20-30 mile drive would be adequate. Unfortunately there are several of us who drive in stop/go rush hour - even if on the freeway most of the time. He said that was inadequate and recommended I charge the battery once weekly.

If that was the case, then I would see many "battery dead" F10s during my daily driving in NYC:dunno: If you look at "efficient dynamics" panel under RPM panel, the blue panel (in the shape of a battery) will light up as you take foot away from accelerator or brake. Maybe, charging has something to do with the duration of idling of engine at certain speed (can be done only on "free" freeway).

Sophisto 06-20-2011 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfv (Post 6138270)
in the trunk

ehh, actually it is where in the E39 was the spare wheel :mad:

laser 06-20-2011 06:45 PM

Could Damage the Battery

Happened to be reading the "Service and Warranty Information" booklet that came with the car and noted on page 22 ..... "Battery Care" ..... "If your car is driven only for short distances of less than 10 miles over a prolonged period of time, without an occasional drive at highway speeds, the engine's charging system will not maintain the battery".

Not agreeing with this just noting the caveat!

mautzi 06-21-2011 06:56 AM

Tech said this is a fairly common issue with the 550s, he has seen one come in with as little as 3000 miles. Replaced battery, apparently the new batteries are not having the same issues as the originals

ssj 06-21-2011 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mautzi (Post 6144777)
Tech said this is a fairly common issue with the 550s, he has seen one come in with as little as 3000 miles. Replaced battery, apparently the new batteries are not having the same issues as the originals

Cost?

mautzi 06-21-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssj (Post 6144795)
Cost?

Zero - under warranty

1HOT BMR 06-21-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssj (Post 6139578)

What your SA told you sounds like pure BS to me and if indeed it is true then this is a serious flaw that reflects poor engineering and design. Charge the battery once a week? :rofl::rofl:

ssj 06-21-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR (Post 6146210)
What your SA told you sounds like pure BS to me and if indeed it is true then this is a serious flaw that reflects poor engineering and design. Charge the battery once a week? :rofl::rofl:

See previous post by laser

lovers535xi 06-21-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfv (Post 6139550)

Copy Paste from the F10 manual:
The energy of motion of the vehicle is converted to electrical energy while coasting. The vehicle battery is partially charged and fuel consumption can be lowered.
So what is coasting -- When approaching a red light, take your foot off
the accelerator and coast to a halt in the highest applicable gear. On a downhill slope, take your foot off the accelerator and coast in a suitable gear.

1HOT BMR 06-25-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssj (Post 6146230)
See previous post by laser

OK, BMW is covering its a** for the poor design. It amazes me to continue to see examples of what we have to put up with to drive the "ultimate driving machine" ha!. FWIW, I've driven only in town and only short trips for the past three weeks and I haven't seen any low battery messages yet. I guess I better take it out on the freeway pretty soon or else . . . . ::rolleyes::

BobRBob 06-26-2011 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laser (Post 6144016)
Happened to be reading the "Service and Warranty Information" booklet that came with the car and noted on page 22 ..... "Battery Care" ..... "If your car is driven only for short distances of less than 10 miles over a prolonged period of time, without an occasional drive at highway speeds, the engine's charging system will not maintain the battery".

Not agreeing with this just noting the caveat!

Duly noted.

"Efficient Dynamics" - Right. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Ridiculous. :thumbdwn:

tlm999 01-10-2012 05:43 AM

I received the 'replace battery' message this weekend. Took it in yesterday and was told that the car needed to be reprogrammed as there is nothing wrong with the battery. Picking it up this morning. Only time will tell if the problem is solved.