Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   World Permiere: BMW 5GT M Sport Pack (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555667)

Capobranco 07-18-2011 09:54 AM

World Permiere: BMW 5GT M Sport Pack

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/P90077734.jpg

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/07/01/pr...sport-package/

The GT has always possessed serious road presence but the new M package serves to more clearly sharpen and define the GT's sporting character.

Request - please - paddle shifters and a sports exhaust option!

1STBimmer 07-22-2011 06:22 PM

Any ideas when is it going to start production? I've googled it and other than that picture (And one of the interior with cloth/alcantara) couldn't find much more. I am considering geting a 550 but want to wait for the 2012's, especially now. paddle shifters and the dct tranny option would be nice, as well as less conservative colors.

if they brought the 535d then it'd be perfect :rolleyes:

magnumforc 07-22-2011 07:48 PM

Sadly, in my humble opinion, offering an "M" package does little for the real spirit of the GT. Same as it did little for the 328 except suck lots of extra dollars out of buyers' pockets for a few badges and interior treatment that make do nothing for performance. The suspension changes, I woudl hope, would be better than what was offered on the 3 series M package. My daughter-in-law bought one and while they love the car, the price paid over an upgraded 328i just isn't worth it.

I like the idea of more color offerings, but as noted above, performance exhaust, more tire/wheel choices, maybe a Dinan option or at least some decent performance choices would make the deal a worthwhile choice. Not that we are likely to race these on the street, but think about it...getting smoked by a "standard" GT when you paid thousands more for the "M" option would really frost your pumpkin? I'd rather save my money for some sleeper options from Dinan.

Just my opinion anyway.

Capobranco 07-23-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumforc (Post 6207197)
Sadly, in my humble opinion, offering an "M" package does little for the real spirit of the GT. Same as it did little for the 328 except suck lots of extra dollars out of buyers' pockets for a few badges and interior treatment that make do nothing for performance. The suspension changes, I woudl hope, would be better than what was offered on the 3 series M package. My daughter-in-law bought one and while they love the car, the price paid over an upgraded 328i just isn't worth it.

I like the idea of more color offerings, but as noted above, performance exhaust, more tire/wheel choices, maybe a Dinan option or at least some decent performance choices would make the deal a worthwhile choice. Not that we are likely to race these on the street, but think about it...getting smoked by a "standard" GT when you paid thousands more for the "M" option would really frost your pumpkin? I'd rather save my money for some sleeper options from Dinan.

Just my opinion anyway.

Yes - the M package is marketing but how the BMW GT is perceived and defined could benefit from the attention. The classic grand tourer was usually a stylish 2 + 2 that was fast, engaging, and offered the capability of traveling long distances in comfort and luxury. Over the last 50 years GTs have offered different blends of performance and functionality.

The BMW 5GT inspired by the classic idea of the GT, redefines the concept for a new age by offering enhanced functionality and luxury, while retaining sparkling performance. The ethos of the 5 GT is the effortless nature it goes about its assigned mission. The 5GT is an especially flexible platform that offers a spectrum of dynamic and functional settings. The GT can be outfitted and driven as a luxury alternative to the 7 series, a functional luxurious utilitarian hauler, or as a personal luxury GT that offers engaging performance - while this flexibilty is a strength it has also created a gender bending identity crisis.

I have always taken BMW at its word regarding the "GT' script on the back of the trunk lid. I dreamed of a vehicle that would combine the functionality of my 5 series Touring and offered some of the performance of my 911 Turbo. I get it twin turbo V8 power yielding gobs of creamy power, 20 inch wheels and sharp sports+ suspension settings that offer engaging handling, supremely comfortable seats and the luxury of space to haul family or boxes all clothed in an exotic wrapper that exudes serious road presence. Unfortunately, many people do not get it and the new M package will serve to more clearly articulate and define the sporting DNA of the 5GT by burnishing the bona fides of the GT.

BTW a friend of mine recently purchased a Maserati GT a really nice car, but I actually prefer my 550i GT overall, except for the exhaust note the exhaust note of the Maserati is sublime. It would be nice if the 550i GT was a little more visceral. The M package is moving the 5 GT is the right direction.

magnumforc 07-23-2011 03:29 PM

We can agree to disagree here. I love our GT's and wouldn't have anything else. I just think BMWE is embellishing the vehicle with badges and accoutrements with no actial substance. That sid, if they actually made a GT-M, I would be impressed. Bump the power, refine the suspension a bit more, as you note add the visceral growl of a good exhaust note, maybe a more defined hood, black out the chrome strip on the rear deck for a carbon fiber piece with the M motorsports logo, etc. Make it a wolf in sheeps clothing?

Again, my opinion. But judging from personal experience of the family with the extra high pricing for the "M" package which is nothing but what I consider non-functional differences, just for difference sake and to put jingles in BMW's pocket, the engineers in Dingolfing could have made the 2012 spit out a lot more pizazz for the same bucks.

1STBimmer 07-24-2011 07:01 PM

I agree that the m-package is only aeshetic changes but they make the car look a little more aggressive/distinct. I am already thinking of doing the Dinan upgrade once I get the car so I'm thinking the m-pack will compliment the extra power nicely.

11gt535 07-26-2011 05:23 AM

Thumbs down here. If the M group really still exists they should be upset about what HQ has done with their reputation.

chelseafc 07-26-2011 09:30 AM

silk hat on a pig? With the cash BMW has, they shouldn't have just wasted it on this abortion.

Capobranco 07-26-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumforc (Post 6208415)
We can agree to disagree here. I love our GT's and wouldn't have anything else. I just think BMWE is embellishing the vehicle with badges and accoutrements with no actial substance. That sid, if they actually made a GT-M, I would be impressed. Bump the power, refine the suspension a bit more, as you note add the visceral growl of a good exhaust note, maybe a more defined hood, black out the chrome strip on the rear deck for a carbon fiber piece with the M motorsports logo, etc. Make it a wolf in sheeps clothing?

Again, my opinion. But judging from personal experience of the family with the extra high pricing for the "M" package which is nothing but what I consider non-functional differences, just for difference sake and to put jingles in BMW's pocket, the engineers in Dingolfing could have made the 2012 spit out a lot more pizazz for the same bucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1STBimmer (Post 6210135)
I agree that the m-package is only aeshetic changes but they make the car look a little more aggressive/distinct. I am already thinking of doing the Dinan upgrade once I get the car so I'm thinking the m-pack will compliment the extra power nicely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11gt535 (Post 6212977)
Thumbs down here. If the M group really still exists they should be upset about what HQ has done with their reputation.

I find the 5 GT's performance to be more than adequate, indeed, I find it very engaging. It is one of the few cars I have owned - I have owned many sports/GT cars - that I actually look forward to driving everyday. When I purchased the car I was tepid about it frankly I was put off by the sheer Seven Series size but I saw it as an interesting alternative to the typical family/freight /dog SUV hauler. What I did like was the very distinctive styling that endows the car with very serious road presence, the effortless power, and supreme comfort. From the first time I floored the car and was literally thrown back in my seat a la my Porsche 911 Turbo I was smitten. I have never really felt the need for more power or torque. I have used the car not only as a commuter, but also as long distance fast cruiser. I frequently travel two lane mountain roads where I find the GT to be both nimble and fast. The GT drives smaller than its size. The styling is original far less derivative than the Panamera and conveys not only its BMW DNA but also a sense of athletic competency. Over the past year my affection for the GT has only increased. The GT is my fifth and my best BMW.

So what does this have to do with the M package well although I do not thirst for more power and I find the styling of the GT to be winning I see the need for BMW to hone the GTs identity in the marketplace yes the M package is an exercise in marketing but the GT has never been properly marketed to dealers or consumers. I have always viewed the GT as a European luxury performance hatchback most Americans do not understand the concept. Perhaps the M pack will provide a measure of clarity. I will not fight BMW if they were to include/or make available a few sporting options e.g. sport exhaust.

sddjd 07-26-2011 06:24 PM

I don't really understand the objections to BMW offering an M-sport package on this vehicle. It's clearly not to everyone's tastes, but the derision I read on these (and other) boards puzzles me if the basis is that it "only" adds aesthetics and a modified suspension. Now, whether it's a fair value for money is a wholly different issue, but we're not on this board because we're all seeking/driving an economical vehicle :D

Many posts act as if this indicates some new direction; was the same ire directed at the last E39 sport package (which came with aesthetics, m-sport suspension, and M badges but no performance improvements)?

car-fan 07-26-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelseafc (Post 6213493)
silk hat on a pig? With the cash BMW has, they shouldn't have just wasted it on this abortion.

Meanwhile back at the ranch......................:rolleyes:

magnumforc 07-26-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sddjd (Post 6214697)
I don't really understand the objections to BMW offering an M-sport package on this vehicle. It's clearly not to everyone's tastes, but the derision I read on these (and other) boards puzzles me if the basis is that it "only" adds aesthetics and a modified suspension. Now, whether it's a fair value for money is a wholly different issue, but we're not on this board because we're all seeking/driving an economical vehicle :D

Many posts act as if this indicates some new direction; was the same ire directed at the last E39 sport package (which came with aesthetics, m-sport suspension, and M badges but no performance improvements)?

It's not derision or ire in my case. Simply disappointment that BMW chose to add frills instead of actual performance. And, yes, I felt the same way about other models with "M" packages that offered no actual imorovements in actual handling or performance. As I noted above, one in my family has an E90 "M" package that is a nice car, but no actual upscale performance for all the extra money. No nicer actually than a well optioned 328i with Sport Package in any case.

I suppose you could equate it to how the kids with what we "affectionately" refer to as rice burners put large rear wings, ground effects and other large pre-fab pieces on their cars to give them a racy look; those pieces don't produce any power and actually rob the vehicle of performance due to added weight. But to them it looks cool. Tuners are another story and most of them are sleepers without much to notice from the outside.

To each their own. I pay for performance or comfort when I upgrade. From what I see, the M package offers neither.

Capobranco 07-27-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelseafc (Post 6213493)

http://www.thisfullhouse.com/.a/6a00...5d54970b-250wi

Capobranco 07-27-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumforc (Post 6215035)
It's not derision or ire in my case. Simply disappointment that BMW chose to add frills instead of actual performance. And, yes, I felt the same way about other models with "M" packages that offered no actual imorovements in actual handling or performance. As I noted above, one in my family has an E90 "M" package that is a nice car, but no actual upscale performance for all the extra money. No nicer actually than a well optioned 328i with Sport Package in any case.

I suppose you could equate it to how the kids with what we "affectionately" refer to as rice burners put large rear wings, ground effects and other large pre-fab pieces on their cars to give them a racy look; those pieces don't produce any power and actually rob the vehicle of performance due to added weight. But to them it looks cool. Tuners are another story and most of them are sleepers without much to notice from the outside.

To each their own. I pay for performance or comfort when I upgrade. From what I see, the M package offers neither.

You make a very good point...I understand that you think the M Pack materially adds little to the GT and is a questionable value, but don't you see some value from a marketing perspective?

I see the M package as an interesting device to sharpen the identity of the GT. The GT is a great BMW but few Americans understand it.

magnumforc 07-27-2011 11:09 AM

Take a 70K+ vehicle that already appeals to a very small segment of the BMW enthusiasts, even less of the motoring public, add an almost several thousand dollar upgrade to a decorative package, and achieve what? The designer package didn't do anything to achieve greater identity, at least not here in the US. Again, it's only my humble opinion, but the snarl of a set of Borla's emanating from the rear of the GT would do more to turn the heads of the non-believers than the "M" badging. Or maybe if the Borla's came with the "M" badging it would have some value. I'd pay $4000 more for a "performance version" without the badging for sure.

For example, build out a 328i and for $3750 or $1700 over the Sport Package you get almost nothing. You still have to add $100 more to get the wheel with paddle shifters and you're paying ttwice for Park Distance Control (rear only) which comes with the convenience package. Same with the 5 series, the same $1700 gets you the same but it's packaged differently. At least in the 5 it makes more sense the way it's packaged.

This is really a dead issue, I just don't pay for non-functional items. If someone told me for fact that the aerodynamics added to the top speed and reduced fuel consumption, well, I might be able to grab hold of that somehow. ....maybe

Capobranco 07-27-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumforc (Post 6216021)
Take a 70K+ vehicle that already appeals to a very small segment of the BMW enthusiasts, even less of the motoring public, add an almost several thousand dollar upgrade to a decorative package, and achieve what? The designer package didn't do anything to achieve greater identity, at least not here in the US. Again, it's only my humble opinion, but the snarl of a set of Borla's emanating from the rear of the GT would do more to turn the heads of the non-believers than the "M" badging. Or maybe if the Borla's came with the "M" badging it would have some value. I'd pay $4000 more for a "performance version" without the badging for sure.

For example, build out a 328i and for $3750 or $1700 over the Sport Package you get almost nothing. You still have to add $100 more to get the wheel with paddle shifters and you're paying ttwice for Park Distance Control (rear only) which comes with the convenience package. Same with the 5 series, the same $1700 gets you the same but it's packaged differently. At least in the 5 it makes more sense the way it's packaged.

This is really a dead issue, I just don't pay for non-functional items. If someone told me for fact that the aerodynamics added to the top speed and reduced fuel consumption, well, I might be able to grab hold of that somehow. ....maybe

I would definitely pay the price for a Borla exhaust...actually I did on my 911 and also had custom hand made headers fabricated and installed....afterwards my stereo was superfluous.... the exhaust was truly beautiful music! I appreciate the abundance and effortless nature of the power of my 550i but I consider the lack of a more visceral exhaust to be a deficiency. A nice exhaust would burnish the GT's bona fides as a unique and special GT, and provide some additional distinction from other luxury offerings.

Great performance, serious road presence, great comfort and utility.... but the GT has a luxury car exhaust note.....BMW should at least offer a sport exhaust option!

jadnashuanh 07-27-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capobranco (Post 6216085)
I would definitely pay the price for a Borla exhaust...actually I did on my 911 and also had custom hand made headers fabricated and installed....afterwards my stereo was superfluous.... the exhaust was truly beautiful music! I appreciate the abundance and effortless nature of the power of my 550i but I consider the lack of a more visceral exhaust to be a deficiency. A nice exhaust would burnish the GT's bona fides as a unique and special GT, and provide some additional distinction from other luxury offerings.

Great performance, serious road presence, great comfort and utility.... but the GT has a luxury car exhaust note.....BMW should at least offer a sport exhaust option!

Keep in mind that the turbos act like their own muffler...it's hard to get a turbocharged engine to sound like a normally asperated or even a supercharged one. For me, I'd rather not have the 'song' of the exhaust intruding on a long journey. It's okay if on full-bore, but on a long distance cruise on the interstate, I'll take quiet any day.

jdubbs 07-27-2011 12:01 PM

I like the looks of the package, but I doubt it will do much if anything for sales in the US. Dealers are already reluctant to order GTs for their inventory, and while I think the exterior refinements in the M package would make the GT more appealing to more buyers, no dealer is going to order it for stock (upping the MSRP of an already hard-to-sell model, for purely aesthetic gains) unless it's a no-cost option, or included in the existing Sport package.

Capobranco 07-27-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadnashuanh (Post 6216132)
Keep in mind that the turbos act like their own muffler...it's hard to get a turbocharged engine to sound like a normally asperated or even a supercharged one. For me, I'd rather not have the 'song' of the exhaust intruding on a long journey. It's okay if on full-bore, but on a long distance cruise on the interstate, I'll take quiet any day.

A friend of mine has a Maserati and while I am not a huge fan - the exhaust note is almost reason enough to buy - just sublime.

I could get very excited if my BMW GT had an exhaust note option akin to this....the
550i GT has the performance of a GT but the exhaust note of a luxury car - Back up the GT badge with GT sound!
I realize I am probably a minority on this point...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSgRA...eature=related

1STBimmer 07-27-2011 03:09 PM

The M packages stand more for 'marketing' than Motorsport, but I'd like to see how it's packaged on the GT once the details are announced.

quackbury 07-27-2011 06:47 PM

My 2 cents. The M Package serves the same function as Individual paint and trim: It makes your ride just "that" little bit more exclusive and more "yours". Of course there are other ways to do this: wrap the car in your choice of color, add 22" chromed wheels. fender skirts, a roo bar, paint yoru calipers electric magenta, etc. Compared to those other options, the M pack is quite appealing.

I had the M Sport package on my 2003 540, and it was sublime. Really completed the look of the car, and made it "mo better" than all the other E39's running around Boston. And if we get an F10 instead of an F07, it will have the M Sport, as I hate the front bumper on the non-M Sport F10's. (The bizarre droop in the center section looks too much like a double chin to me).

From the limited number of photos, I'm not sure the F07 M Sport package completes the look of the car, the same way the E39's, E60's and F10's do. But I think it's great to have that option.

1STBimmer 08-06-2011 02:27 PM

Got the details

Ok finally got a hold of the GT ordering guide... The M Sport Package (ZMP) adds the following:

All models:
19" style 302M wheels. staggered on Rwd cars, not staggered on AWD
Optional 20" style 303M wheels (+$1000)
M Steering Wheel
Aerodynamic Kit
Shadowline trim
Anthracite headliner
Sport Package :dunno:
Increased top speed limiter

Addl for 535i GT
Multiple contour seats

Addl for 550i GT
Includes sport exhaust

Cost (msrp)
535i: $4800
550i: $4200

ZMP requires ordering (paint) 300, 354, 416, 668, A52, A89 or B90

magnumforc 08-06-2011 05:12 PM

Here's what you get over the Sport Package alone:

M Steering Wheel
Aerodynamic Kit
Anthracite headliner
The requirement to order special paint at $550 additional.

The Sport Package already includes the multi contour seats, the 19" rims and tires, shadowline trim, and increased top speed limiter. Thus $4800 for the M Sport Package vs $2200 for the Sport Package alone. Like Dirty Harry said..Do You Feel Lucky? in this case enough to spend $2600 on what?

1STBimmer 08-06-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumforc (Post 6238464)
Here's what you get over the Sport Package alone:

M Steering Wheel
Aerodynamic Kit
Anthracite headliner
The requirement to order special paint at $550 additional.

The Sport Package already includes the multi contour seats, the 19" rims and tires, shadowline trim, and increased top speed limiter. Thus $4800 for the M Sport Package vs $2200 for the Sport Package alone. Like Dirty Harry said..Do You Feel Lucky? in this case enough to spend $2600 on what?

You get the most expensive front & rear bumpers and fancy door sills, plus a sport exhaust. To each it's own... :thumbup:

magnumforc 08-06-2011 09:19 PM

The sport exhaust ONLY on the 550i though. The 535i with the M package doesn't get that but just as expensive. What...I lose the lighted BMW doorsills I already paid once for? AWK!! LOL