Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Maintenance cost: share your costs! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557285)

beatmb 07-25-2011 11:13 PM

Maintenance cost: share your costs!
 
Greetings.

I understand that the maintenance cost for 3 series varies a lot depending on which shops or dealers you use, it would be helpful if you guys can share some of your information regarding the maintenance cost.

As long as it costs roughly $100-$200 per month, I might afford it but since there's some opinions that one would spend HUGE amount of money and effort to maintain 3 series, I cannot ignore the problem.

You may be more appreciated if your bimmer's 3 series coupe : )

Thank you! And hope you can share the info!

FCBayernFTW 07-26-2011 12:38 AM

Deleted

beatmb 07-26-2011 01:22 AM

Is it the question that shouldn't be asked?

Radiogeek 07-26-2011 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatmb (Post 6212794)
Greetings.

I understand that the maintenance cost for 3 series varies a lot depending on which shops or dealers you use, it would be helpful if you guys can share some of your information regarding the maintenance cost.

As long as it costs roughly $100-$200 per month, I might afford it but since there's some opinions that one would spend HUGE amount of money and effort to maintain 3 series, I cannot ignore the problem.

You may be more appreciated if your bimmer's 3 series coupe : )

Thank you! And hope you can share the info!

Since December, when I replaced a sensor in my '08 335i, I have spent exactly $0 on maintaining my car, other than a new RFT tire ($451-installed). The sensor was $700, though...

Also, I have an oil change scheduled on Friday ($79.99)

OK... so I've spent a bit more than $0.

Hot Toddy 07-26-2011 04:17 AM

2011 model with 8,500 miles (8 months old). I have done two interim oil changes on my nickel which cost $201 total. Also had an alignment after too many miles had gone by for it to be free at a cost of $145. No complaints here about maintenance costs.

Hot Toddy

brewder 07-26-2011 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatmb (Post 6212851)
Is it the question that shouldn't be asked?

The implication probably is "if you need to ask, you can't aford it"....

I have a 328xi I picked up out of warranty, and i'm spending roughly $200-$300 per month averaged over the last year... of course, that includes wear/tear items (tires/brakes/rotors/oil/filters), and preventative maintenance (brake fluid/PS fluit/trans/etc,).. I'm very anal about maintaining my vehicles....

Just depends on what you call maintenance... only BROKEN things, or preventative.... But again, if you need to ask about these kinds of cars, you probably don't want to know.

Saintor 07-26-2011 05:01 AM

I am trying to keep separate the costs I pay out of my pocket in opposition to the costs that would normally be covered in the 4years/50000miles.

So far for 8000km (I am at 88000km);
Annual Oil+filter replacement 70$

However my target is to not exceed 5400$ for years 4-7 for maintenance & repairs, everything.

In 2009, I spent 531$ to fix the under-covers that were all broken - my car is lowered. I should have just removed them.

George Allan 07-26-2011 05:04 AM

IMO if you put away $200.00 a month for upkeep you should have a nice surplus after a few years.. This can go toward a new car then.. Unless you have bad luck which some people seem to have with these cars..

I always put away about $100 a month for American or Japanese cars which gave me a surplus for them in the past - one is 11 years old now , a Chev express van.

Our 07 X3 has cost us zero up to now but the Diff is growling and the dealer is
considering to do a fix under warranty now.. This would be very costly on our dime.


George Allan

ctuna 07-26-2011 09:50 AM

Fyi
 
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ting+for+fools

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...e-our-m5s.html

Runflats are overpriced and they don't last very long and they give a less than
smooth ride on all but perfect roads.

Force 07-26-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctuna (Post 6213540)
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ting+for+fools

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...e-our-m5s.html

Runflats are overpriced and they don't last very long and they give a less than
smooth ride on all but perfect roads.

what do you do for your spare?

ddtan 07-26-2011 12:17 PM

You didn't specify whether you were talking about in warranty or out of warranty. Out of warranty, it has been suggested that $1000-$2000 per year is not out of the question. This has not been my experience. Wear and tear items such as tires have been mentioned, and it depends on how expensive you want to go. I don't think that oil changes about $100 are unreasonable. Brakes can be $400-500 per axle. Certain things like Xenon lights can cost a pretty penny to replace. Other wise you are at the mercy of fate for what happens with turbos or injectors if those go, probably north of $1000. Other things that might go are door lock actuators, window motors, radiator leaks, it all depends on your luck. Cat convertors are over $1000 at the dealers.
These things might be cheaper at an independent repair shop, and it is always good to have one of those if you are going to own a BMW out of warranty.

Tom K. 07-26-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatmb (Post 6212794)
Greetings.

I understand that the maintenance cost for 3 series varies a lot depending on which shops or dealers you use, it would be helpful if you guys can share some of your information regarding the maintenance cost.

As long as it costs roughly $100-$200 per month, I might afford it but since there's some opinions that one would spend HUGE amount of money and effort to maintain 3 series, I cannot ignore the problem.

You may be more appreciated if your bimmer's 3 series coupe : )

Thank you! And hope you can share the info!

For a new BMW, required maintenance cost is zero for the first 4 years/50k miles as it's covered by BMW, other than tires & alignments.

After my '99 328i was out of warranty, I averaged about $800 per year in normal maintenance, tires & repairs - but I only drove it 8,500 miles per year and changed the oil at least every 8,000 miles. Also most (but not all) of this maintenance was done by a dealer, rather than a cheaper indy.

But it sounds like you are considering a used E92. So will it be CPO or not? How many miles? What year? What optional equipment? How many miles will you drive per year? What kind of driver are you? etc., etc.

Point being that there is no easy answer to your question.

Tom

SD Z4MR 07-26-2011 03:14 PM

Brand new 335is Coupe currently with 1900 miles.

Total cost of maintenance so far: $581.44 to replace the right rear tire which picked up a screw during our ED in Germany at 1321 miles.

beatmb 07-26-2011 05:27 PM

To all of you : )

I really apologize that my question was definitely vague. However, all of your answers greatly helped me out : )
It seems that I will order bimmer 335i coupe on Sept. when the new gen is coming out : )

Thank you all!

jagu 07-26-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatmb (Post 6214605)
To all of you : )

I really apologize that my question was definitely vague. However, all of your answers greatly helped me out : )
It seems that I will order bimmer 335i coupe on Sept. when the new gen is coming out : )

Thank you all!

Yeah, that might be better. Maintenance will be free.

swiss_seth 07-26-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewder (Post 6212930)
I'm very anal about maintaining my vehicles....

Just depends on what you call maintenance... only BROKEN things, or preventative.... But again, if you need to ask about these kinds of cars, you probably don't want to know.

Same here but its good for the car to be a type A when I was 18 I got my moms Buick Regal GSE and 50k miles and drove it to 150k. I kept such good care of it I got an excellent trade value on it even at that mileage

With anything that is quality made I say "good in, good out" So being proactive is right!

swiss_seth 07-26-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddtan (Post 6213897)
You didn't specify whether you were talking about in warranty or out of warranty. Out of warranty, it has been suggested that $1000-$2000 per year is not out of the question. This has not been my experience. Wear and tear items such as tires have been mentioned, and it depends on how expensive you want to go. I don't think that oil changes about $100 are unreasonable. Brakes can be $400-500 per axle. Certain things like Xenon lights can cost a pretty penny to replace. Other wise you are at the mercy of fate for what happens with turbos or injectors if those go, probably north of $1000. Other things that might go are door lock actuators, window motors, radiator leaks, it all depends on your luck. Cat convertors are over $1000 at the dealers.
These things might be cheaper at an independent repair shop, and it is always good to have one of those if you are going to own a BMW out of warranty.

When you said HID xenons what is it that is known to likely fail? The ballast or bulb?

Hootsama 07-26-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Toddy (Post 6212921)
2011 model with 8,500 miles (8 months old). I have done two interim oil changes on my nickel which cost $201 total.


Just curious, but why?

ddtan 07-26-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiss_seth (Post 6214756)
When you said HID xenons what is it that is known to likely fail? The ballast or bulb?

Didn't mean to imply that they are known to fail, only that they are expensive when they do. (compared to headlights I'm used to)

SD Z4MR 07-27-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootsama (Post 6214772)
Just curious, but why?

I'm guessing, but he probably did a break-in oil change around 1200 miles and a 5,000 mile oil change. I've already done my break-in oil change and plan to change the oil at 5,000 miles, per Mike Miller's Old School Maintenance Schedule.

Hot Toddy 07-27-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD 335is (Post 6215808)
I'm guessing, but he probably did a break-in oil change around 1200 miles and a 5,000 mile oil change. I've already done my break-in oil change and plan to change the oil at 5,000 miles, per Mike Miller's Old School Maintenance Schedule.


SD 335is: You are exactly right.

Hot Toddy

Wilassasin 07-27-2011 02:12 PM

The runflats will probably the worst issue with these cars.

Ilovemycar 07-27-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatmb (Post 6212794)
Greetings.

I understand that the maintenance cost for 3 series varies a lot depending on which shops or dealers you use, it would be helpful if you guys can share some of your information regarding the maintenance cost.

As long as it costs roughly $100-$200 per month, I might afford it but since there's some opinions that one would spend HUGE amount of money and effort to maintain 3 series, I cannot ignore the problem.

You may be more appreciated if your bimmer's 3 series coupe : )

Thank you! And hope you can share the info!

So far, $0 after 2 years.

I foresee my first maintenance expenditure being the rear tires. Between a couple of tire models I am considering, there is a doubling of price between them. So I think with tires you can either spend quite a bit, or have it be a relatively modest expenditure.

Perhaps I just don't understand what is required for these cars, but past $200 per month sounds really excessive to me! I baby my car too, paint is always protected, I charge the battery probably once a month, etc.

However, I might not put on half the miles on the bimmer that some people here do.

Perhaps within a couple of years I can see a brake job- we will see if I shall try my first DIY brakes there. Also the spark plugs for when that days comes many years from now, after reading a thread here. For such projects, I intend to have help for sure, perhaps even hiring a friend (pro mechanic) to teach me. Bushings, I'll either hire said friend or the local BMW specialty independent shop.

jsoto 08-31-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom K. (Post 6214248)
For a new BMW, required maintenance cost is zero for the first 4 years/50k miles as it's covered by BMW, other than tires & alignments.

After my '99 328i was out of warranty, I averaged about $800 per year in normal maintenance, tires & repairs - but I only drove it 8,500 miles per year and changed the oil at least every 8,000 miles. Also most (but not all) of this maintenance was done by a dealer, rather than a cheaper indy.

But it sounds like you are considering a used E92. So will it be CPO or not? How many miles? What year? What optional equipment? How many miles will you drive per year? What kind of driver are you? etc., etc.

Point being that there is no easy answer to your question.

Tom

Nothing is for free!

SuperTerp 08-31-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsoto (Post 7045809)
Nothing is for free!

Yup, even if you got 200k miles with nothing but tires, insurance, and gas you still probably paid more for those things then the guy in the honda/toyota, so no matter what happens you're paying premium costs ;)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms