Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Wind noise Passenger side (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557306)

R&E 07-26-2011 03:34 AM

Wind noise Passenger side

First of all, just want to say up front, love my 2011 X3, butt…
I seem to have a whistling noise coming from the front passenger side. It happens while going over 100kph. X3 has been in 3x’s.

First was diagnostic and problem was verified; dealer service said it was coming from engine compartment (gaskets around air ducts or something like that).

Second was attempt to fix; dealer was not able to fix and said they would need to work with Munich and come up with an answer.

Two to three weeks later we received a phone call to bring the car in to be repaired. Dropped it off in the morning and picked up in the afternoon. Still whistling. Dealer service said that engineers in Munich would work on a solution and call us when they come up with something.

I am grateful that this is not a mechanical issue and am able to drive it around while a solution is being worked. And to be honest, I have not heard the whistling noise myself, since I have hearing loss, but I can hear my wife complaining.

Wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue.

MBHYD 07-26-2011 06:20 PM

I have the same issue. When ever I go over 45-50 MPH. I am planninng to go to the dealership and see what they have to say.

alanintx 07-26-2011 06:31 PM

I had wind noise on the driver's side and BMW replaced the door seals. There is still some wind noise, but not as bad as it was initially.

AzNMpower32 07-26-2011 09:23 PM

Same problem, except in my dad's X5.

Surprise, surprise, they both come out of the same factory.

Want the Thrill 07-26-2011 09:42 PM

Hmmmm, mine is making a humming noise when I go 50 + mph. Mine sounds like is more on the front drivers side though.

R&E 07-26-2011 10:51 PM

weather has been bad here the last few day, lot of rain. I want to tape up the seals and see if the noise goes away. Will do one at a time; door, mirror, windshield, maybe even hood. Hopefully it clears up this weekend and I can pinpoint the source. Going to use masking tape, should not be a problem as long as it is not on too long.

R&E 08-09-2011 12:59 PM

Finally fixed. One of the seals between the door, window and mirror. Not sure which one, but BMW had it for a couple of days and no more noise!

dtc100 08-09-2011 02:52 PM

We have this issue on the 3 series. The whistle mostly comes from the driver side mirror. Not so noticeable when the window is closed.

Hopefully it is not the same place because BMW should have this resolved by now. It has to do with the two-piece mirror casing construction.

perlman007 01-28-2013 08:56 AM

Does anyone know if this affects the 2013 X3s as well (Dec 2012 build)? I noticed a slight whistle from the passenger side almost as soon as I picked my car up from the PCD in SC. It occurs around 80 mph and sounds almost like someone's nose is whistling. It is kind of hard to hear, but very annoying once you notice it. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't diagnose (asked me to come back again when someone with "better hearing" would be around).

jass168 03-05-2013 09:04 PM

I got same problem on my 2013 X6M, i have 2010 X6 35i but no whistling noise, and i just using paint marking tape to cover all the area, windshield, wipe blade, door seal, sun roof seal, and i just found out it's made by the mirror , the wind went through between mirror and mirror frame gap creating the noise, maybe it's not your case but you can try this and marking tape method, hope that helps

dtownx3 03-29-2013 06:58 AM

Perlman007,

I have a 2013 x3 as well, January-ish build of 2013. I have the whistle too, passenger side, usually over 40-50MPH. Just brought it in, they failed to fix it... I think it's now worse because they made the cabin quieter by replacing door trim and tightening the passenger door. I think it's coming from a molding or mirror, or roof rail... I drove at speed and lowered the window and still heard the noise.

The masking tape idea is an interesting one. I'm scheduled to take it back in, in a few days. Maybe I'll try that.

Did you get it fixed?

dtownx3 03-29-2013 08:15 AM

Jass168,

Do you mean it was created by the gap between the mirror itself and the housing? ... i.e. on the mirror-side, facing the driver?

noka 03-29-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtownx3 (Post 7480221)
Jass168,

Do you mean it was created by the gap between the mirror itself and the housing? ... i.e. on the mirror-side, facing the driver?

I wondered about that also. I figured it meant that either air is entering somewhere else from the front and exiting through that gap, or there is some vacuum effect and air is being pulled into that gap and swirling is creating some noise. Would be interesting to know, if someone actually knows.

perlman007 03-29-2013 12:54 PM

I believe it is actually cause by the indentation between the two pieces of the housing (not between the mirror and the housing). If you roll the window down at speed, and place your finger on the groove you will be able to make the noise change/ stop.

BMW NA and the dealership have said that there is presently no fix. They have suggested temporary measures where they would fill that portion of the gap with some black caulk.

Not ideal.

dtownx3 04-01-2013 11:48 AM

Brought mine back today, they gave me a loaner X3 which does not exhibit the noise. I took the tech out and he heard the noise as well... so now it's back there. If you put some tape on the indentation, does the noise go away?

The tech I had on the ride along this morning said they had an ultra-sonic device there which they could use to diagnose these issues. He explained that even compressed air could jet up through cracked lift pads into the cabin, then out again. In other words, noises like this might have very complex jet-stream behavior which is hard to diagnose... Anyway, he seemed to imply that this device was capable of determining leaks in the cabin.

The service manager already thinks I'm a lunatic because most of their older guys can't hear the problem at all. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if they give it back to me without the problem fixed. If I wanted a noisy minivan I would have bought one...

dtownx3 04-01-2013 11:53 AM

Perlman007,

BTW, do you have any written correspondence from BMW NA or the dealership acknowledging this as a problem?

perlman007 04-01-2013 12:34 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have any written documentation. Make sure to ride with them and lower the window to hear / diagnose. My hypothesis is that the side view cameras might be causing it, not sure if your loaner has them or not.

dtownx3 04-01-2013 01:09 PM

Perlman007,

Interesting. I don't have the side view cameras, only the reverse one. I guess you have that "top down" view system? The loaner doesn't have it either. I'll have to take some pictures of the passenger mirror on this car, and then take some of mine to look for differences.

The tech I had was an older guy; I think the older guys simply can't hear the high-pitched noise when they sit in the driver's seat... On the first ride I had to drive so the other guy could hear it. My wife hears it... so I hear about it. :)

They just called and are keeping it for another day. I guess I'll know more tomorrow.

dtownx3 04-02-2013 11:27 AM

Hey Perlman007,

Just got the call. The said they have fixed the problem, I'll believe it when I ride in it!

Interesting, my service guy said there is now a bulletin for the noise, because many are experiencing it. He said on my vehicle there was a missing foam pad in the roof rail and that BMW have released a service bulletin for the proper adjustment of the back door and front door hinges. Maybe you can bring it back, now that there is a service bulletin?

I'm optimistic they've got it fixed. I'll let you know.

noka 04-02-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtownx3 (Post 7489403)
Hey Perlman007,

Just got the call. The said they have fixed the problem, I'll believe it when I ride in it!

Interesting, my service guy said there is now a bulletin for the noise, because many are experiencing it. He said on my vehicle there was a missing foam pad in the roof rail and that BMW have released a service bulletin for the proper adjustment of the back door and front door hinges. Maybe you can bring it back, now that there is a service bulletin?

I'm optimistic they've got it fixed. I'll let you know.

SB number might help people. Is it referenced on the work order?

dtownx3 04-03-2013 06:41 AM

I looked on the work order and sadly no SB number was there. They have the door trim and some kind of dampening part listed. The problem is not 100% solved.

We'll see where this goes next.

Capobranco 04-03-2013 08:14 AM

X3 35i M Sport - 2-13 build - no wind noise - slight whoosh around the mirrors at very high speeds but not bothersome at all.

dtownx3 04-03-2013 09:42 AM

Hey Capobranco,

Yup, I've got the whoosh at high speed, as would be expected for something sitting so high. I think it's a build quality issue. Something is definitely not to spec, since they demo I drove on an identical road at identical speed within 10 minutes of each other didn't exhibit the noise.

Maybe the sheer awesomeness of the 35i makes the noise disappear. :)

Capobranco 04-03-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtownx3 (Post 7492019)
Hey Capobranco,

Yup, I've got the whoosh at high speed, as would be expected for something sitting so high. I think it's a build quality issue. Something is definitely not to spec, since they demo I drove on an identical road at identical speed within 10 minutes of each other didn't exhibit the noise.

Maybe the sheer awesomeness of the 35i makes the noise disappear. :)

Ha Ha! - yeah, the 35i in all its awesomeness, is a very entertaining ride and totally deserving the moniker "BMW - TUDM". I do not think the very slight wind noise, that I find unobtrusive, is a build quality issue - IMO more a design issue related to the very large mirrors. There is no noise at legal speeds. Your point about height is a good one - at some point - something as large and up right as an X3 is going to create some noise. Overall I find my X3 to be a very quiet cruiser. BTW I am wildly ecstatic that BMW endowed the 35i with a very sporting exhaust note - not only does it feel like a BMW - it sounds like a BMW - vroommm!

egunner 04-04-2013 06:30 PM

Wind Noise

I haven't read the whole post, but my son had a wind noise on his new M5. Turned out to be the outside rear view mirror.
Gunner