Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   8 Series - E31 (1989 - 1999) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Got my 91 850i. Now, exhaust and body kit suggestions please (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557952)

Iamtheonlyreal1 07-28-2011 04:53 PM

Got my 91 850i. Now, exhaust and body kit suggestions please
 
I purchase my 76,000 mile 850i on wednsday, now I am looking for more suggestions..

I am wanting a nice racey soundine exhaust.. I would prefer it to look factory and be either mufflers or from the cats back..

I am interested in the Performance chips, I have seen several cheap ones on EBAY, but I afraid to order one.. What has everyone had the best of luck with..?

I am looking for a nice styling change in Lowering Springs and lower body kits.. Anyone have experience with particular brands they liked.. I dont really want a fast and furious look, but I want something that makes the car look classy and aggressive. Any Suggestions and Pictures..

I think I have the wheels sorted out.. I found some powder coated black 2002 530i 19in staggered wheels, I am hoping the offset is correct, anyone know for sure?

Thanks.. I am loving the car, and am looking forward to making it my own in style, I just dont want to buy crap...

Here are a couple of pictures.. I gave 8000 dollars for the car, and everything works and drives perfectly


http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...7-28122651.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...7-28122726.jpg

TxGr8White 07-28-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamtheonlyreal1 (Post 6219151)
I purchase my 76,000 mile 850i on wednsday, now I am looking for more suggestions..

I am wanting a nice racey soundine exhaust.. I would prefer it to look factory and be either mufflers or from the cats back..

I am interested in the Performance chips, I have seen several cheap ones on EBAY, but I afraid to order one.. What has everyone had the best of luck with..?

I am looking for a nice styling change in Lowering Springs and lower body kits.. Anyone have experience with particular brands they liked.. I dont really want a fast and furious look, but I want something that makes the car look classy and aggressive. Any Suggestions and Pictures..

I think I have the wheels sorted out.. I found some powder coated black 2002 530i 19in staggered wheels, I am hoping the offset is correct, anyone know for sure?

Thanks.. I am loving the car, and am looking forward to making it my own in style, I just dont want to buy crap...

Here are a couple of pictures.. I gave 8000 dollars for the car, and everything works and drives perfectly
]

MAGNAFLOW with stock tips (if you wish to keep stock appearance). Retain the center resonator, use 2.75" or 3" pipe from the resonator back.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/100_0404.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/100_0429.jpg

Performance Chips: Do NOT waste your time or money on ebay chips - they are most always just a copy of what you already have in the ca from the factory. Do yourself a favor and order a set of WOKKE V2 chips - Absolutely the BEST performance enhancement for relatively cheap.

Springs: either EIBACH on all 4 corners, or H&R fronts with cut stock in back. - Get a set of BILSTEIN shocks and Strut inserts while you are there. Another important item is a set of static camber plates.

Body kits: there are several ones out there. If you want it to look "stock" and classy, look at the CSi pieces straight from BMW.

The 530 wheels will not work.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...40-revised.jpg

Iamtheonlyreal1 07-30-2011 11:21 PM

Are there any later model wheels that will work right? What are the sizes of the wheels on your cars, diameter and width? I was looking at some 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 at at 25mm offset. I would really like to make sure they fill out the wheel well properly, and it appears yours do, so any helpt there would be great...

I am also guessing your cars are lowered, so what items did you purchase to get the stance you have pictured..?

TxGr8White 07-31-2011 08:26 AM

The E31 is one of only a couple of BMW models that have a low offset for the wheels. IMHO, don't go larger than 18. I have E31-specific BBS Style 5 wheels on the white car. They are 17" diameter and staggered - 8" and 9". The black car has 18" RONDELL Style 58 wheels, also staggered - 8.5" and 10". The white one has EIBACH springs, the black one has M-tech springs, both have BILSTEIN Shocks and strut inserts.
The advantage of the 17" wheels are that they even out the ride on the EIBACHs, there is a larger selection of tires available, and the rubber won't cost you an arm and a leg - I can get a set of 4 quality tires for arond $500-$550 installed. The 18's limit you to a smaller selection of tires. This is especially true if you want to go wih a staggered set.
There are quite a few E31 owners that run on 19 and even 20 inch wheels, and they will tell you that those work out just fine. What you won't hear much of is that those wheels are very suceptable to being bent or fractured. The smaller sidewall of 19 and 20 tires offers little protection from bumps and potholes - and believe me a 4200-4500 pound car will damage them quickly.

Iamtheonlyreal1 07-31-2011 09:22 AM

When you say low offset, are your 18 inch wheels +25 ? I dont want to run spacers to get the wheels where they need to be.. I appreciate the help, and thank you for your time..

TxGr8White 07-31-2011 09:31 AM

The 17's are +10mm for the front and +19mm for the rear. The 18's (IIRC) are +13mm for the front and +20mm for the rear.
Good for you on the spacers, that is not a good way to go if you can help it.

Iamtheonlyreal1 07-31-2011 09:40 AM

I appreciate the help there... You are the man...

I have been doing some research on the Performance Chips, and seems the Wokke is the way to go.. I also found a complaint about the chips and throttle response or touchiness, and that is something I was going to do some research on. My cars throttle is sensitive, there is alot of engine braking cruising down the road.. If you are not very very attentive to the throttle pedal, you get a real erratic off and on of the throttle.. I have not checked if I have a chip already installed, but perhaps is does.. If so, do you know of an adjustment for this annoying problem? I enjoy the car, love the way it drives, but this takes alot away from the car.

I also need to find the sensor or module that controls the drivers windows movement up and down as you open the door.. The window works fine on the normal up and down controlled with the switch, but the door entry actuation isnt working at all... Sorry for all the questions, just like to get these issues taken care of, and you seem to know what is going on...

Iamtheonlyreal1 07-31-2011 09:51 AM

Also.. I was just down in your area yesterday to try and buy some wheels.. I actually live in the Lake Texoma area, just about an hour and a half north of Dallas..

TxGr8White 07-31-2011 10:39 AM

The early 850's (1991) had some issues with sensitive throttle - BMW offered a chip update a long tiome ago for this. It could be that your PO never went and had this done. The WOKKE V2 chips take care of any of that, but keep in mind that the throttle response will be instantaneous.
As for the window drop, it is possible that the microswitch in the door handle (there are a couple of those) has gone south. Another possibility is that the door ahndle mechanism itself is on the verge of failure - i.e. the actuator bar is slightly bent and does not contact the microswitch as it should.
Try to slowly lift the door handle WITHOUT trying to open the door - see if it triggers the window drop. If so then it is a door handle problem.

Iamtheonlyreal1 07-31-2011 11:04 AM

Where is the best place to buy the Wokke V2 Chip? I can only find a place on EBAY, and I am not sure it isnt a knock off.. The seller has Wokke in his EBAY ID, but I just want to be sure...

Thanks Again.

TxGr8White 07-31-2011 12:45 PM

send an email to: info@wokke.de
I believe he charges a little less than the ebay cost.
Tell him that I sent you (you will get it faster).

Iamtheonlyreal1 07-31-2011 01:02 PM

I ordered some Flowmaster Super 44's today, and should get them on next week.. I am hoping they are what I am looking for with sound and performance. Where did you get your Camber Static Plates and Bilsteins.? I cant seem to find a great source for all around parts.. What is the best source for some of these performance and suspension parts.?

TxGr8White 07-31-2011 06:51 PM

Flowmasters are LOUD!
Static Camber plates were made in-house, Bilsteins I got from ebay a while ago.

Iamtheonlyreal1 07-31-2011 07:08 PM

I am hoping if I install the resonator tips on there, it will balance them out a bit.. I have always had good luck with Flowmasters on other cars, and hope they arent too loud in the interior compartment.. If so, I will change them to something else...

I had a 91 Ferrari Testarossa that had hollowed out cats and a performance exhaust, which sounded bad ass.. It was a rear mounted muffler also, so there wasnt really any interior resonance..

TxGr8White 07-31-2011 08:35 PM

Well, good luck.
I have done many iterations of exhaust compnents on this car and can tell you without a doubt, that if you delete the stock center resonator you WILL have cabin drone (and it is VERY annoying).
The MAGNAFLOWS are almost too loud on longer stretches.
The BMW V12 sounds nothing like the TR - it never will, but it will drone on you if you aren't careful.

Iamtheonlyreal1 07-31-2011 09:02 PM

OH.. I am not deleting the resonators... I am planning on only replacing the actual mufflers, and putting the factory tips on the Flowmasters also.. The exhaust will be completely factory all the way up to the mufflers.. And believe me, I know the BMW sounds nothing like the Ferrari, but a V12 sounds very good when you can hear it a bit more..

Iamtheonlyreal1 08-09-2011 03:02 PM

Here are some pics of the wheels installed.. I may space out the fronts a bit, but I am not sure.. 18x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rear with a 20mm offset front, and a 25mm offset rear... I got an awsome deal on them from my supplier with the tires mounted, balanced, lugs bolts, etc..



I was hoping to have it lowered today, but ran out of time.. Tomorrow is the exhaust time..



http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...eal1/001-4.jpg



http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...eal1/002-4.jpg

Iamtheonlyreal1 08-14-2011 09:03 PM

Got it lowered, and I have my spacers on the way.. I have the Magnaflow with X-pipe done, and removed the resonators, which sounds perfect. The Wokke Chips, I have a Dinan Trans Chip coming, Drilled Rotors on the way.



I have been debating on the body kit, but can seem to make myself pull the trigger on it..



http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...real1/850i.jpg



http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...eal1/850i2.jpg



http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...eal1/850i3.jpg

old-school 09-14-2011 08:30 PM

Nice ride! I love those 850i's, Way ahead of their time styling wise for sure. Looks new today. Not outdated at all. Great price too.

BartoloRacing 09-15-2011 10:41 AM

Looks awsome with lowering kit. I'll be going that route with mine as well.

Enjoy your new ride!!

D.M.R. 10-01-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxGr8White (Post 6219367)
MAGNAFLOW with stock tips (if you wish to keep stock appearance). Retain the center resonator, use 2.75" or 3" pipe from the resonator back.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/100_0404.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/100_0429.jpg

Performance Chips: Do NOT waste your time or money on ebay chips - they are most always just a copy of what you already have in the ca from the factory. Do yourself a favor and order a set of WOKKE V2 chips - Absolutely the BEST performance enhancement for relatively cheap.

Springs: either EIBACH on all 4 corners, or H&R fronts with cut stock in back. - Get a set of BILSTEIN shocks and Strut inserts while you are there. Another important item is a set of static camber plates.

Body kits: there are several ones out there. If you want it to look "stock" and classy, look at the CSi pieces straight from BMW.

The 530 wheels will not work.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...40-revised.jpg

Nice :thumbup:

dshields13 03-31-2012 09:49 AM

HI - I just bought a 91 850i as well, same color as yours, and am looking for wheels/tires. There are so many options, but I have been leaning to something like you have pictured. What size tires are you running? May I ask what kind of deal you got,a nd maybe even from who? I also have the same problem with the window, my mechanic has determined its an issue with the module. When it was cooler it did not work, but now that its warm its working fine, go figure. I'm going to have it replaced anyway but he said it will probably be June before he can secure one. He said he checked everywhere in the States and Germany to no avail. Your ride looks very nice, and I can't wait to get mine road ready!!

TxGr8White 03-31-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dshields13 (Post 6740125)
HI - I just bought a 91 850i as well, same color as yours, and am looking for wheels/tires. There are so many options, but I have been leaning to something like you have pictured. What size tires are you running? May I ask what kind of deal you got,a nd maybe even from who? I also have the same problem with the window, my mechanic has determined its an issue with the module. When it was cooler it did not work, but now that its warm its working fine, go figure. I'm going to have it replaced anyway but he said it will probably be June before he can secure one. He said he checked everywhere in the States and Germany to no avail. Your ride looks very nice, and I can't wait to get mine road ready!!

The Tires are KUHMO ECSTA ASX 245/45/17 in front, 275/40/17 in back. The Wheels are BMW Style 5 (E31 specific - staggered) and were bought from GAULT BMW in NY (talk to Charlie Spear - they give 8-owners a very nice discount off of list).

You have the dreaded General Module failure. Your mechanic apparently did not check everywhere. I could help you out there, since I refurbish these and currently have 7 or 8 of them handy. This option is far cheaper than getting a new one from BMW - if you are interested, shoot me a PM.

Good luck with the restoration.

jolmsted 04-05-2012 08:12 PM

I am interested in buying a 850, I have found a 91 850 with 100000 miles. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to look for. Is it as great a car as it appears.

TxGr8White 04-05-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolmsted (Post 6752871)
I am interested in buying a 850, I have found a 91 850 with 100000 miles. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to look for. Is it as great a car as it appears.

Describe the color red - I bet you cannot. Much like this vague question to an automobile you haven't even posted a picture of.

The 850 in general is a great car - I even have 2 of them (as do a lot of other 8-owners), but that does not mean you aren't looking at the worst example. Do you have a link to this car? VIN? DO you know what has been done to it as far as maintenance, mods, etc.?

There is a really good "Pre-Purchase Checklist" that can walk even the most novice 8 freak through what to look for.

There is a wealth of info both here and over at bimmerforums, all you have to do is check the archives and/or ask the question. Be advised though: you need to provide as much info on the car in question, other wise you might not get an answer.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms