Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   BMW 550xi m sport vs Porsche panamera 4s (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558429)

Brett0429 07-31-2011 05:35 AM

BMW 550xi m sport vs Porsche panamera 4s

I know I'm in a BMW forum. I would get the dinan upgrade asap.
Now let's forget the looks of car I like both I just really want opinions on the drives and how the power would be I drove both many times looking for something from u guys to help me decide. The difference in price is not a decision maker for me.
I have owned e92 m3 loved it but want awd and a bigger car I owned Infiniti m35, cts non v. Had a MB E550 4matic liked it but really felt disconnected from road. Please any help would be great
Thanks

pharding 07-31-2011 05:39 AM

Both are fine cars. If money is not a concern get the Porsche. However the 5er is a much better value.

ish 07-31-2011 06:06 AM

F the Porsche...go with the Maserati Sport GT S

http://www.maserati.com/maserati/en/...roporte-S.html

Stealth.Pilot 07-31-2011 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ish (Post 6224087)
F the Porsche...go with the Maserati Sport GT S

http://www.maserati.com/maserati/en/...roporte-S.html

This Maserati is way more fun to drive than the Porsche. But it depreciates much faster, is long in the tooth and will soon be replaced by a newer design.

If you go this route, I'd suggest buy used.

Brett0429 07-31-2011 07:01 AM

I'm only comparing BMW and Porsche thanks

Cary Bimmer 07-31-2011 07:05 AM

I liked the driving experience of the 5 series more than the Panamera. Better comfort, interior layout and ability to see blind spots.

Disclaimer: I do own a 911 and believe that is the sweet spot for Porsche IMHO.

Also. I agree on the Dinan upgrade. Heard from my local rep. Sometime in the next 2 weeks it s/b released. :thumbup:

Kamdog 07-31-2011 07:22 AM

The BMW will draw a lot less attention on the road, so if you prefer people to recognize your car, go with the Porsche, if you want to pretty much slip under the radar, go with the BMW. IMO, in everyday driving, you use such a small percentage of each cars capability that it renders them virtually the same performance wise. I think the BMW is more comfortable and more up to date.

ish 07-31-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett0429 (Post 6224141)

Then I would go with the BMW for sure. Decades of development have gone into the refinement of the 5 and it shows. BMW builts THE BEST sport sedans in the world, thats what they do. In addition I believe the current 5 is the most beautiful yet.

IMO the Panamera is just another model Porsche pulled out of their ass to grab market share. I just dislike everything about it and I was not impressed driving it.

BTW- I also own a 911 C4S so that might tell you something.

Quote:

This Maserati is way more fun to drive than the Porsche. But it depreciates much faster, is long in the tooth and will soon be replaced by a newer design.

I agree this is one of the best ways to buy a Maserati, leasing a new one through your business, then buying it at lease end is probably #1.

Quote:

ish 07-31-2011 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett0429 (Post 6224141)

Then I would go with the BMW for sure. Decades of development have gone into the refinement of the 5 and it shows. BMW builts THE BEST sport sedans in the world, thats what they do. In addition I believe the current 5 is the most beautiful yet. IMO the Panamera is just another model Porsche pulled out of their ass to grab market share. I just dislike everything about it and I was not impressed driving it.

BTW- I also own a 911 C4S so that might tell you something.

Quote:

I agree this is one of the best ways to buy a Maserati, leasing a new one through your business, then buying it at lease end is probably #1.

Quote:

Hell YA !!!!:thumbup:

alex md 07-31-2011 07:58 AM

BMW550 xi M vs Panamera 4 i would go for BMW
if you compare 4S my choice would be Panamera, but agree with pharding BMW is better value

iamthewalrus 07-31-2011 08:32 AM

Totally subjective, but the BMW is much more attractive. And I typically really like Porsches. But then, should you trust my judgement? I drive a BMW X3 after all!

-James
Seattle, WA
2006 BMW X3 m-sport, manual

solstice 07-31-2011 08:40 AM

If you have driven both and can't decide go for the BMW due to the better service deal. Personally I would go for the Panamera since for me there is no comparison driving them back to back. The Porsche wins by a mile in my books due to superior driving dynamics even if the steering isn't perfect and I'm one of the few that really like the looks of the P car. I'm in Italy now and saw two black Panameras in front of an official building in Naples closely guarded by the drivers and they stand out much more than the many mercs and bmws.

Leslierc 07-31-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot (Post 6224115)

Not to mention that the Maserati continues to have reliability problems. I'm stuck on BMWs even though I like the looks of the Panamera very much. From what I know and have seen about this car, the Panamera is scary fast.

dunderhi 07-31-2011 09:42 AM

I drove both, and the Pana is better suited for the curves than the F10. That said, I picked the F10, since it is a relative bargain when compared to a Pana Turbo, that is after you add Dinan and some proper wheels and tires (about $8-9k). The specs between the two cars actually match up pretty well.

grizzles 07-31-2011 09:47 AM

Too many buttons in the Porsche but if money was no object then fully loaded Panamera. Is Panamera 4 or 5 passengers?

TJPark01 07-31-2011 10:04 AM

Dream to drive, nightmare to look at. There's no sugarcoating it, the Panamera is hideous to look at.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmeeF9ZtkCA

planet 07-31-2011 10:04 AM

I believe the Panamera is 4 passengers only.

Brett0429 07-31-2011 05:36 PM

Come ON I need more help lol

TJPark01 07-31-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett0429 (Post 6225230)
Come ON I need more help lol

OK aside from the Butterface looks of the Porsche, the Bimmer is more of a traditional sedan. The Porsche is a hatchback, and the trunk is tiny, which means you have to put the seats back if you want to put anything back there like golf clubs. You can't go anywhere far in the Porsche with backseat passengers because the seats are not made for comfort. The back seats force you to sit upright like you're getting ready to tackle the Nurburgring, where as the BMW is the normal configuration.
The Porsche is a better drivers car for sure and more sport than luxury, whereas the BMW is the other way around. Sure the 550ix is still blisteringly fast, but it's big, so don't expect it to dance around a mountain pass like an M3. Both cars have their merits, so if you value sport over comfort and function over form and you don't care about the large price difference, it sounds like the Porsche is for you.

fkim011 07-31-2011 06:01 PM

Since you have stated that money is no object and you want the better car. Then the Porsche is hands down better then the 5.

I have driven the Panamera on the track during a Porsche driver event vs the Alpina B7, A8 and S63 and these cars just cannot compete in any level. The Panamera S with full leather will outdrive, outhustle, and has one of the best transmissions ever made SO FAR in the pdk.

After I remodel my house, and get some fianances in order, I will be getting rid of my 550i Msport for the Panamera Turbo. When I bought my 550i after a number of test drives comparing it to the Panamera S, I also thought the 550 was 95% of the car the Porsche was. The same week I got my 550i, my father picked up his P. Turbo so we decided to trade cars for a week. I will not compare acceleration because this is no contest that the Porsche wins hands down. However, all driver controls are far more intuitive and convienent in the Porsche. You have an area next to the speedometer that shows navigations, all car controls, car data, radio, ect which during a test drive is a "neat" feature but in everyday life, it is a must have. On top of that, I got 22MPG overall wth the PDK and people who have the S on various porsche websites have been getting 21+ easily overall. In my 550, I get 20 MPG overall with 100 less horsepower and an extra gear. The brakes, the suspension, and how tight the car feels is just where the porsche excels at. The only area where my Msport beats the Porsche at is value in price. My Msport was loaded up at 76,XXX with basically every option and the Panamera S I was looking at 95 and change. I should of bought the Porsche....

Just for reference in my the last 2 years I have owned a E92 M3 sedan, 997 C2s, Bmw X5 4.8, Range Rover Supercharged, MBZ E63, MBZ SL65, Caymen S ...

alex md 07-31-2011 06:13 PM

Again OP comparing Panamera 4S and BMW 550 xi M
It is quite obvious from driving perspectives few cars can match P Turbo, but now we are in 130-140K range
I test drove P4 and and was not impressed, very different story with 4S, but again in final analysis BMW was better overall deal
If you ready to spend about 100K for PROPERLY equipped Panamera go fot it, it is def has an aura of exclusivity about it

Brett0429 08-01-2011 07:13 PM

Thanks

Brett0429 08-03-2011 08:25 PM

Drove Porsche again helpppppppppp

Stealth.Pilot 08-03-2011 09:55 PM

I think it depends what you value.

Panamera 4S:
+More road feel, better traction and higher cornering speeds.
+Distinctive looks.
+Prestige, ability to impress people
- Everything is optional and to get the Porsche vaguely close in equipment to an 80k 550Xi you would spend 120k
- Lot of technology Porsche doesn't offer (surround cameras, HUD, HD Nav screen, Apps, etc.)
- Flip side of better traction and cornering is that the car is too in control and therefore lacks edge when driving. BMW is more scary and fun.

BMW 550xi
+ Faster in straight line with the $3K Dinan upgrade - will pull out over a Panamera noticeably
+ Much better technology
+ More equipment and luxuries for the price
+ More fun - feels a little bit edgy relative to the Porsche from a driver standpoint. It's not as composed as the Porsche.
- Looks the same as a humble $45k 528i. Very low key.
- Less road feel and slower cornering (still not bad)

leanofpeak 08-03-2011 10:28 PM

i am in between a 550xi and a panamera s/4s too. leaning heavily towards the bmw. what really sucks is that the 2012 pannys are hitting the lots now, the 2012 550's wont be here for another 2 1/2 months.

all the more reason to buy the panny now. plus it does drive so nice. and that transmission.