Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Michelin Primacy RFT is flat, where to go? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558873)

casper 08-02-2011 05:15 AM

Michelin Primacy RFT is flat, where to go?

Yesterday my TPMS advised that I had loww pressure on my front right tire, I checked and the tire had no air at all, so I drove home, aproximately 65 miles.

I can no see a nail, bump or puncture on the tire, but I need to take in for repair/replacement, where is the best place to go, BMW dealer or tire dealer?

The replacement costs $500 from Tirerack, I am afraid the dealer will want a lot more, and no, I do not have Tire Insurance

Me530 08-02-2011 05:39 AM

Maybe your dealer would give you the BMW CCA discount?

laser 08-02-2011 05:46 AM

How many miles and months on your Michelin tire?

Get out the DVD that came in your owners manual pouch and read the Michelin tire warranty.

This happened to one of my Goodyears at 8,000 miles (picked up a screw in the tread) and a Goodyear store repaired it under warranty at no charge.

Stealth.Pilot 08-02-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 6228206)
Yesterday my TPMS advised that I had loww pressure on my front right tire, I checked and the tire had no air at all, so I drove home, aproximately 65 miles.

I can no see a nail, bump or puncture on the tire, but I need to take in for repair/replacement, where is the best place to go, BMW dealer or tire dealer?

The replacement costs $500 from Tirerack, I am afraid the dealer will want a lot more, and no, I do not have Tire Insurance

Tires Plus usually is pretty close to tire rack and is local.

RH512 08-02-2011 09:03 AM

I don't believe Michelin has any road hazard coverage, but they have been known to "help out". I would contact them, explain the situation and, ask them for a local dealer. Michelin: 1-866-866-6605 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (M-F) (Eastern Time).

Hope that can work out for you.

djfitter 08-02-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 6228206)

There is NO repair possible for this tire. After being run for ANY time with NO air, much less 65 miles, the side walls are compromised.

dj

ihumphrey 08-02-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfitter (Post 6228595)
There is NO repair possible for this tire. After being run for ANY time with NO air, much less 65 miles, the side walls are compromised.

dj

+1. Although the "you can't repair a run flat is generally bogus", if you actually drive on it while flat for any distance then the repair is out...some/many tire shops refuse to repair them for liability reasons but I have in fact had 2 repaired by the Goodyear dealer themselves, but in both cases they never lost air. In any case I would go with Michelin or an indy tire dealer without insurance...unless the dealer will match prices!

1HOT BMR 08-02-2011 10:27 AM

Perhaps you should consider carrying a small compressor with you for next time. My TPMS light goes on when the tire is down 4 psi. I was up in the mountains last week in the middle of nowhere and my TPMS light came on - I was glad I had my compressor. You could use one to inflate the flat and drive it watching the TPMS and stop and refill as necessary so you don't have to buy a new tire next time. This is what I have and it is super quiet and powerful:

http://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-i7000...2305924&sr=8-1