Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   BMW Tire and Wheel Protection (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561875)

bmwswag 08-15-2011 01:32 PM

BMW Tire and Wheel Protection
 
I took delivery and did not sign up for the Tire and Wheel protection offered at the dealership. It was running $1500 for 5 year warranty. I was wondering if I can purchase something similar elsewhere.

Ilovemycar 08-15-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwswag (Post 6257235)
I took delivery and did not sign up for the Tire and Wheel protection offered at the dealership. It was running $1500 for 5 year warranty. I was wondering if I can purchase something similar elsewhere.

I was talking tires with my friend who has some Michelin first gen PS on his Cayman yesterday. He told me that he had a 5yr tire/wheel insurance that was not from a dealership, but that it was aftermarket. I don't think I asked who it was from, but I can ask via email if you desire. I believe he said it was 1k. He told me that getting something like tire insurance when buying from Tire Rack would be redundant, because his insurance would cover future tires during the time period. So, short answer: yes.

tturedraider 08-15-2011 01:39 PM

$1500 is WAY too much. One of the forum sponsors sells it for around $500.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer

LMC 08-15-2011 02:26 PM

(Incorrect information deleted)

jagu 08-15-2011 03:54 PM

For $1500, you can buy a great set of Michelins and put a spare in the trunk. As for the wheel, you'll just have to be careful.

Edit; I see that you're in Brooklyn. Never mind.

googlers 08-15-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagu (Post 6257577)
For $1500, you can buy a great set of Michelins and put a spare in the trunk. As for the wheel, you'll just have to be careful.

Edit; I see that you're in Brooklyn. Never mind.

What would be a reasonable price?

Mystic1 08-15-2011 05:01 PM

I think we paid $800 when we signed the papers on our 3 yr lease.

jagu 08-15-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by googlers (Post 6257589)
What would be a reasonable price?

I don't know but if it exceeds $700 for 4 years, I'd self insure. Needless to say, when the dealer offered me a 3 year policy for $1200 last week, I declined it. I'll be buying some michelins with the money saved next week.

pointandgo 08-15-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwswag (Post 6257235)
I took delivery and did not sign up for the Tire and Wheel protection offered at the dealership. It was running $1500 for 5 year warranty. I was wondering if I can purchase something similar elsewhere.

Well, you could hypothetically (or actually), buy four new tires from Tire Rack right now or later (I'm not sure what your tire size is), but let's say 225/45R17 B'Stone RE050A, WITH their road hazard protection plan for $1.036.64 plus shipping. For the four tires, Tire Rack charges $84.64 for the road hazard protection (all four). That might allow you to put a little money away for a new wheel if necessary (I est. $400).

I'm not an actuary, but as NYC repairs about 750,000 potholes in the 5 boroughs after each winter season, I'm expecting at least half your original tires to be toast after this coming winter, the rest by next (I'm optimistic). At least one wheel ruined. Wheel flange damage might be repairable.

It's a toss-up if two sets of tires will last you five years.

Just my thoughts.

MB330 08-15-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by googlers (Post 6257589)
What would be a reasonable price?

In 2006 for 4 yr I payed $399 at the time I purchase my car.
2 flat @ 237/per tire payed off in first year.

googlers 08-15-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 6257253)
$1500 is WAY too much. One of the forum sponsors sells it for around $500.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer


I think I know which one you are talking about. Do you think their service is good?

Besides, when do we need to change the tires? After around 30K miles? Thanks!

SD Z4MR 08-15-2011 11:27 PM

There have been many threads and posts on how much people have paid for the BMW Tire & Wheel Warranty. It depends on the length of time of the warranty and it also seems to depend on the model of car. We paid $950 for five years and that is one of the lowest prices I've seen mentioned. We have staggered 18" high performance summer tires and the wheels are unique to the 335is so we thought it was worth it.

Cultr 08-15-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMC (Post 6257354)
Since BMW does not sell wheel/tire protection policies, all such are aftermarket, whether purchased from the dealership F&I person at the time of sale or not.

BMW DOES sell tire and wheel protection policies, certainly not after market, I have it and it is handled by the dealership on BMW's behalf. All the dealerships don't just go out and find whatever insurance company they want to sign up with...

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...rotection.aspx

SD Z4MR 08-15-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMC (Post 6257354)
Since BMW does not sell wheel/tire protection policies, all such are aftermarket, whether purchased from the dealership F&I person at the time of sale or not.

Where did you get this idea? BMW used to sell third-party tire and wheel warranties but then got into that business themselves and started charging more than the previous third-party warranties. Or so I've read. Our BMW Tire & Wheel Warranty is definitely from BMW and not a third-party.

googlers 08-16-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD 335is (Post 6258323)
Where did you get this idea? BMW used to sell third-party tire and wheel warranties but then got into that business themselves and started charging more than the previous third-party warranties. Or so I've read. Our BMW Tire & Wheel Warranty is definitely from BMW and not a third-party.

Usually when are we supposed to change tires? After 20K-30K miles?

SD Z4MR 08-16-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by googlers (Post 6258775)
Usually when are we supposed to change tires? After 20K-30K miles?

Tires should be changed when the tread wear indicator is flush with the surface of the tire. Mileage has nothing to do with it as this is highly dependent on how you drive, the road surface, whether you keep them properly inflated, and other factors.

BRWSTER328i 08-16-2011 09:14 AM

my wife and I bought the tire/rim package for $1,000 U.S. dollars. Not a bad price considering how many pot holes are in NJ and the fact that someone likes to drive close to the curbs. Our father has run flats and since he purchased his ED 335i in 2007, he went through about 5 tires. So I guess for him, it worked out. Good luck hunting.

LMC 08-16-2011 09:59 PM

Thanks, Cultr and SD 335is for catching my bad info. I have edited my post. BMW does indded sell tire and wheel protection.

SFgiant84 08-26-2011 01:43 AM

I feel I got a pretty good deal on my Tire/Wheel protection plan. I paid $800 for 5 years of coverage, considering I went with the 19" rims it was a no brainer decision for me.

chrisk03 08-26-2011 10:47 AM

Wow, you guys got some pretty good deals on the BMW W&T warranty. My dealer wanted $1500 for 3yrs last year when I bought my car and they wouldn't negotiate. They even tried the "once you drive off the lot" mind trick. Needless to say, I passed...I'll self insure at that price.

LAFlyer 08-26-2011 02:17 PM

Costco
 
I never considered this coverage. But now that 3 of my 4 runflats have developed side bubbles from pothole impacts (in LA!), I think it's worth considering at the right price. But at a replacement cost of ~$350/tire, you can go through a whole set of tires before your $1500 coverage would pay off. It's not much of an insurance policy if the cost of the premium equals the loss you're insuring against (wheel damage seems much less likely to me).

My solution for replacements tires is Costco - the damage warranty comes with the tires. No extra charge for the coverage. And I verified that they'll replace them if they bubble.

This doesn't help protect the factory tires, but I got a lot of miles out of my tires before I felt I had to replace them.

ouspensky 08-26-2011 06:38 PM

Mechanic said it is worth it
 
I asked my mechanic about the tire policy. They want $1350 for a three year policy in Rochester NY. He told me that it costs $1200 to replace one rim and tire. I work in the Bronx and for me it is a nobrainer. The only thing I don't understand is if the plan comes from BMW how come that person in Oregon paid $900 for five years.?

SFgiant84 08-26-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouspensky (Post 6281462)
I asked my mechanic about the tire policy. They want $1350 for a three year policy in Rochester NY. He told me that it costs $1200 to replace one rim and tire. I work in the Bronx and for me it is a nobrainer. The only thing I don't understand is if the plan comes from BMW how come that person in Oregon paid $900 for five years.?

I'm going to assume your location has something to do with the pricing. Like how you car insurance might be higher if you live in an area with a high crime rate for auto theft or vandalism. I'm sure New York roads aren't maintained as well Oregon since the volume of traffic on the roads there are higher and there a lot more roads to repair. If I didn't make long drives from Portland back to my home town of SF atleast 3-5 times a year I might not have bought the Wheel and Tire insurance.

SD Z4MR 08-26-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFgiant84 (Post 6280030)
I feel I got a pretty good deal on my Tire/Wheel protection plan. I paid $800 for 5 years of coverage, considering I went with the 19" rims it was a no brainer decision for me.

$800 is now the best price I've heard for 5 year coverage. Is this the official BMW Tire & Wheel Protection sold by the dealer and administered by Safe-Guard Warranty Corporation (listed on the bottom of the application/contract)?

If so, that is an excellent price and definitely a no-brainer for 19" wheels/tires!

SFgiant84 08-26-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD 335is (Post 6281503)
$800 is now the best price I've heard for 5 year coverage. Is this the official BMW Tire & Wheel Protection sold by the dealer and administered by Safe-Guard Warranty Corporation (listed on the bottom of the application/contract)?

If so, that is an excellent price and definitely a no-brainer for 19" wheels/tires!

The finance guy was originally asking $895 and yes it's the official one as you described. I was schocked when I saw the original asking price myself, as I was expecting them to ask for $1200 and try to work my down as far I could get them.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms