Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Peeling steering wheel (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562408)

PC in Ohio 08-17-2011 06:24 PM

Peeling steering wheel

We recently purchased a CPO 2007 X3 and noticed today the steering wheel is peeling around the control buttons. Didn't notice this before :dunno::ouch: Is this covered under the CPO warranty? Any remedies?

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1313628304

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1313628300

spokelizard 08-17-2011 06:46 PM

It's a common problem. The pieces can be replaced. I had that done and the replacement pieces no longer have that kind of rubbery finish that peels off, so once replaced it shouldn't happen again.

I had it replaced under the original 4 yr/50K mile warranty. If you still have that warranty in place it should cover it. I don't think the CPO warranty covers this. But since it's a recent purchase, presumably it should have been caught and fixed as part of the CPO process, so the dealer might make an exception.

jman103099 08-17-2011 06:54 PM

I agree. I would think it should have been caught during the CPO process. Make the dealer fix it. :thumbup:

PC in Ohio 08-17-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spokelizard (Post 6262715)
It's a common problem. The pieces can be replaced. I had that done and the replacement pieces no longer have that kind of rubbery finish that peels off, so once replaced it shouldn't happen again.

I had it replaced under the original 4 yr/50K mile warranty. If you still have that warranty in place it should cover it. I don't think the CPO warranty covers this. But since it's a recent purchase, presumably it should have been caught and fixed as part of the CPO process, so the dealer might make an exception.

Thanks! I'll go to the dealer 1st but if unsuccessful with them covering, how much to replace those pieces + labor?

spokelizard 08-17-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PC in Ohio (Post 6262755)
Thanks! I'll go to the dealer 1st but if unsuccessful with them covering, how much to replace those pieces + labor?

I have a 2007 with a standard steering wheel. Here's a link to Real OEM showing the parts. It's #3 and #4 listing for $87.80 each. I'm guessing an hour for installation, just a guess.

If you want to DIY, you should be able to get the parts a little cheaper than the dealer will charge, just make sure you order for the steering wheel you have.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...57&hg=32&fg=35

Again, I think the right thing would be for the dealer to cover this.

Also, check the trim around the power window switches on the left and right doors. It's the same sort of trim, but on mine it had only minimal wear so I didn't notice it until after the warranty ended.

noego 08-18-2011 09:05 AM

BMW apparently used that paint because it 'feels' nice - a nice tactile sensation. the only problem is the driver or anyone riding in a BMW with the paint can't 'feel' it very often because it will quickly peel off. nice!

the dealer should replace the parts. if not then go into flip-out mode until you're satisfied.

dbz426 08-18-2011 11:02 AM

Yeah. deliminating/peeling off steering wheel covers.

I had mine replaced under warranty at the dealer.

The new ones don't have the rubbery paint that can get scratched off easily.

PC in Ohio 08-18-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noego (Post 6263664)

the dealer should replace the parts. if not then go into flip-out mode until you're satisfied.

LOL-I'm taking it in next week. Thx 4 the advice!

Jason Stewart 08-18-2011 04:54 PM

Good luck. I was told by my dealer that BMW considers it a wear issue.

MMME30W 08-18-2011 05:11 PM

Yes, had a 2007, exactly this kind of problem. Addressed under warranty.

igorsky 08-19-2011 08:39 PM

I have a 2008 and had the same issue; dealer replaced it under warranty. If your dealer refuses, he's being a douche and ask to speak with the manager. It's embarrassing that this happens in the first place. What I also have is fading radio buttons that they refused to replace, which really is pathetic for a car in this price range.

X3emist 08-20-2011 07:01 AM

Warranty

The CPO warranty won't cover it but if there is any of the original warranty left it will. As mentioned above this should have been corrected during the certifying process. Hopefully you have not had the car long enough for them to suggest you did this. A good dealer should fix it.

PC in Ohio 08-26-2011 08:05 PM

The dealer fixed it - for $280. Not covered under CPO. " wear and
tear"....oh well, really my fault as I should have spotted this b4 purchase (stupid tax).

They did fix the aux input which now works and didn't charge me for that. I also was given a brand new 328xi loaner for a week and fell in love w that bad boy

PSUEng 08-31-2011 01:35 AM

I had this fixed on my 2007 under 4/50k warranty. And I'm glad too because these parts are expensive. The window switch trim tends to peel as well.

Evlengr 08-31-2011 02:11 AM

Funny they are arguing over replacing my rotors under warranty because they are 7 100'ths of a mm within spec, but the peeling steering wheel they didn't even blink and this is the third time I have had it replaced.

Was amazed they keep them stocked.

UncleJ 08-31-2011 07:40 AM

Probably its a high demand item like oil filters so they have a stock on hand.:rofl:

1stbmwx3 08-31-2011 08:58 AM

Yeah, I'll be getting this fixed soon myself. It is annoying.

Third time replacing it Evlengr???

spokelizard 08-31-2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PC in Ohio (Post 6281562)
The dealer fixed it - for $280. Not covered under CPO. " wear and
tear"....oh well, really my fault as I should have spotted this b4 purchase (stupid tax).

I like that expression, new for me. I've paid a lot of those taxes over the years. :D

spokelizard 08-31-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evlengr (Post 6289030)
but the peeling steering wheel they didn't even blink and this is the third time I have had it replaced.

Was amazed they keep them stocked.

I'm surprised you had to have it replaced multiple times. When mine was recently replaced it no longer has that rubbery surface that's likely to peel. Hope you got the new version now, that should end the problem, hopefully.

1stbmwx3 09-06-2011 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't seem to find the part numbers for my specific steering wheel. The one that keeps showing up is the "3-spoke" wheel. Does anyone know where I can find the numbers for my wheel?

1stbmwx3 09-06-2011 07:22 PM

OK. Answered my own question, which I will put here in case others have the same issues. realoem.com has diagrams and part numbers for all 4 steering wheels available.

32 30 3 455 489, and 490 are the two pieces I need. Now it says $87.80. Hopefully that is both together and not each. It's just a little piece of plastic!

And I am sure swapping them out will be pure delight!

madurodave 09-06-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stbmwx3 (Post 6303008)
OK. Answered my own question, which I will put here in case others have the same issues. realoem.com has diagrams and part numbers for all 4 steering wheels available.

32 30 3 455 489, and 490 are the two pieces I need. Now it says $87.80. Hopefully that is both together and not each. It's just a little piece of plastic!

Should not be too bad of a replacement.

Evlengr 09-07-2011 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stbmwx3 (Post 6303008)

I think it is usually each. BMW parts can be rediculously expensive. The wood trim on the door handle is around $150.

PC in Ohio 09-07-2011 07:03 AM

Each unfortunately :-(

chull 09-08-2011 07:26 AM

Mine Too - Just Painted It

I had the same problem with my 2004. But the consequences were more apparent, as the earlier X3s used white plastic as the substrate underneath so where the rubberized paint peeled off, white was exposed, not the black in these pictures.

As mine is not under warranty, I just pulled the piece off, stripped off the old paint, sanded and repainted it with dark grey matte rattle can paint. I primed it first and then used two coats of paint.

The stripping and painting only took about 1 hour total, but I must have spent nearly that long trying to refit the TORX screws to put it back on. To get the piece off, I used a hex/allen wrench. But with it off, I could purchase the correct TORX driver at the hardware store. But the strange angles were a problem for me to get these screws back in.

The rubber paint is peeling off all over the interior - the button for the top console, around the back of the center console by the power, and around the cup holder. But repainting any of those requires even more complex disassembly, as all of the surrounding rubberized components need to match and thus be repainted.

-Chris