Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Blacking out the reflectors! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563338)

Gjm127 08-22-2011 08:20 AM

Blacking out the reflectors!

You know the ones on the American version on the fenders? They're orange and they kinda ruin the Black-on-black style... Is it illegal to black out? How do you do it? Tape? Vimyl? Paint?

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer

boilers93 08-22-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gjm127 (Post 6271101)
You know the ones on the American version on the fenders? They're orange and they kinda ruin the Black-on-black style... Is it illegal to black out? How do you do it? Tape? Vimyl? Paint?

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer

Yes, it is illegal to "black them out" or otherwise make them non-functional, or non-amber.

Most people on here who do not like the look either buy replacement bits prepainted to match their car's color, paint them themselves, or replace them with clear reflectors (still against the law but arguably a better safety choice).

Kreush33 08-22-2011 05:46 PM

Here is just one place I found

http://www.bimmian.com/REF/90

andyffer 08-22-2011 11:44 PM

You can buy them but its tricky to remove, risk ****in up the bumper a little..
I sprayed them while they were on the car, just masked off with blue tape and newspaper and good to go

SD Z4MR 08-22-2011 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyffer (Post 6272983)
You can buy them but its tricky to remove, risk ****in up the bumper a little..
I sprayed them while they were on the car, just masked off with blue tape and newspaper and good to go

I removed and replaced both of mine in 15 minutes. The first one took 10 minutes and the second one five minutes after I determined the best method to use from removing the first one.

ECS Tuning had a sale on the smoke reflectors in March and I paid $2.95 for them.

paximperium 08-23-2011 04:24 AM

Technically illegal but rarely if ever enforced.

bmwKbiker 08-23-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD 335is (Post 6272988)
ECS Tuning had a sale on the smoke reflectors in March and I paid $2.95 for them.

Are the smoke one still reflective or completely non-functional like the painted ones?
I don't care for the orange but they do serve a purpose.

SD Z4MR 08-24-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwKbiker (Post 6275440)
Are the smoke one still reflective or completely non-functional like the painted ones?
I don't care for the orange but they do serve a purpose.

I haven't actually shined a light on them but they have the same reflectorized prismatic surface as the originals. This was also a concern of mine. The originals don't look very good but they're there for a purpose. It might save you from getting your nose clipped inching out of a blind intersection at night. Although I'll have to admit that the last time I bought a new bike I removed the reflectors on the spokes. :)

3ismagic# 08-24-2011 05:00 PM

Tom could you post a pic of the smoked reflectors on the Le Mans blue? I never thought that's the kind of mod I would make but more and more have been considering it.

SD Z4MR 08-24-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3ismagic# (Post 6276937)
Tom could you post a pic of the smoked reflectors on the Le Mans blue? I never thought that's the kind of mod I would make but more and more have been considering it.

Sure! (These pics also show my gloss black painted calipers.)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-I...0/IMG_8019.JPG https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-H...0/IMG_8021.JPG https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y...0/IMG_8109.JPG https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-P...0/IMG_8064.JPG

I bought the smoke reflectors because they were so incredibly cheap with the sale price. I figured that if I didn't like the way they looked I'd get the painted ones, but they look fine to me. They almost disappear on LMB and they're probably still functional (I'll check tonight). I just checked and ECS Tuning has them for $2.95 again: http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/7162...MK-A/ES205212/.

bmwKbiker 08-24-2011 09:51 PM

Tom,
If you report back on the smoke reflectors that would be a real plus. If the have at least some reflectivity that is what I'm going the with.

SD Z4MR 08-24-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwKbiker (Post 6277522)
Tom,
If you report back on the smoke reflectors that would be a real plus. If the have at least some reflectivity that is what I'm going the with.

I tested them out tonight. My wife put her car at the end of our cul-de-sac and I pointed my car at the front side of her car. The reflectors did stand out but I'm sure it's not anywhere near as bright as the yellow ones. A better test will be if I tape the old yellow reflectors onto the front fender next to the smoke reflectors. Maybe tomorrow night and I'll try and get a picture. Bottom line, there is some reflectivity.

Groovejet 08-25-2011 06:20 AM

Thanks for that link SD335is. Was looking through the sidemarkers and noticed they had them in clear. Do you people think the clear ones would look good on a silver 335I coupe?

SD Z4MR 08-25-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groovejet (Post 6277941)
Thanks for that link SD335is. Was looking through the sidemarkers and noticed they had them in clear. Do you people think the clear ones would look good on a silver 335I coupe?

No idea, but they would probably blend in more than the yellow ones.

Verts4Ever 09-10-2011 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD 335is (Post 6272988)

Tom, I wanted to thank you for pointing out this deal. It's still on, and I bought a pair of clear reflectors for our vert.

And I'd like to express kudos to ECS Tuning for their great customer service. UPS mangled ECS' carefully packaged shipment and broke one of the reflectors, and ECS immediately sent me a new pair without question. They've definitely got my business from now on! :thumbup:

Problemeveryday 09-10-2011 07:32 AM

i simply just put dark black vinyl over it. that way if **** goes wrong i can simply just remove it. plus it took me 2 minutes to do for both sides. no mess. no ruining other parts.

Stinger44 09-10-2011 08:39 AM

I replaced mine the first year of ownership. So far, only one state inspection station (BMW dealer) caught it and refused to do the inspection until I put the reflectors back in. I went to another inspection station and they haven't caught it yet.

So far so good.:thumbup:

bear-avhistory 09-10-2011 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just ordered a set for my Space Gray car. Thanks for the info.

Verts4Ever 09-10-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Problemeveryday (Post 6310223)
no ruining other parts.

How could other parts be ruined by replacing the reflectors?

Everything I've read indicates it's a very simple mod: (1) turn wheel in; (2) heat adhesive from inside wheel well with wife's blow dryer; (3) use thumbs to pop old reflector into wheel well; (4) clean off any old adhesive; and (5) put new reflector on. Ten minutes max for each side.

Am I missing something here?

hyperzulu 09-10-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verts4Ever (Post 6310438)
Am I missing something here?

Yes, Megan Fox insisted on popping out the old reflectors with her huge thumb and dented the fender. It was really tragic.

texdrake 09-10-2011 11:41 AM

Misconception

IT IS A HUGE MISCONCEPTION by most of the public that amber side reflectors are required in the USA. Vehicle requirements are actually made and enforced at the state level (in most cases).

I had heard several times that Texas requires the side reflectors but THEY DO NOT require side reflectors for passenger cars. Check your states requirements:

Texas Side Reflector:

"Inspection/Rejection Criteria

20.21 Reflectors (Side). Refer to Reference Section for lighting diagrams.

1. Required on all:

Buses 80 inches or more in overall width.

Trucks 80 inches or more in overall width.

Trailers and semitrailers 80 inches or more in overall width.

Trailers and semitrailers 30 feet or more in overall length."

I actually removed my amber ones today and put on some clear ones from ModBargains.com

3ismagic# 09-10-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texdrake (Post 6310578)

I actually removed my amber ones today and put on some clear ones from ModBargains.com

Hey Tex can you post some pics of the clear on the Deep Sea Blue?

Jason @ BMS 09-10-2011 12:19 PM

When I got my E92 I popped mine out and painted them with some color match spray paint (with my paint code) and popped em back in. They have looked awesome ever since. Personally I would order some repainted from Bimmian.com, they are only $70.00 and they match the factory paint perfectly. My spray painted ones are ok because the car is black. Other colors may want to consider buying them.

texdrake 09-10-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3ismagic# (Post 6310608)
Hey Tex can you post some pics of the clear on the Deep Sea Blue?

Sure, will do it tomorrow

Chop362 09-10-2011 07:02 PM

I purchased oem pre painted ones and never mind on those "Smoke or Clear" reflectors. If that's your idea of replacing the orange it is hardly worth the effort.Blow dryer and an old credit card/gift card does the trick with 0% damage.Stay away from anything sharp or pointed I.e screwdriver.I forget where on line i purchased but they even sanded out the serial #'s on the reflectors before priming....Looks awesome to say the least.Do not go the cheap route for not all the same....Trust me on this.:thumbup: