Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Clock slowing down.. now radio dying (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566899)

m0nkie 09-07-2011 12:03 PM

Clock slowing down.. now radio dying
 
Hi, my 2008 BMW 535i recently started to lose 5-10 minutes a day... today, when i turn the ignition off, the radio dies.. usually the radio stays on until the key is out.

I took it to local shop and they say it might be a battery or connector problem. However, they said I have to take it to a BMW dealer to replace OEM parts..

anyone had these problems? My warranty is over and it cost 139$ for a check up at BMW.. trying to see what is the best way to fix this.

Munich77 09-07-2011 02:36 PM

Do you still have the orginal battery? Might be time to replace the battery.

m0nkie 09-07-2011 02:54 PM

Yes i have the original battery. I think I'm going to have to take a hit and pay whatever the dealer asks for.. Just seeing if other people have had similar issue and any cheaper ways to fix

NC Butterfly 09-07-2011 03:49 PM

I was having similar issues so I finally replaced the original battery in my 08' 528 today at the dealership and it cost me $420.55 :cry:

NY Blue 09-08-2011 05:57 AM

My clock is also slowing down. But I noticed that if I turn off the radio before I shut down the engine, it tends to lose less time. I don't have any problems starting the car or anything like that. But if I leave the radio on while sitting in the car with the engine off, I get a battery warning sign within a few minutes. Are these signs that I need a new battery as well? At my last maintenance visit back in April or so, everything checked out.

GermanCarGirl 09-08-2011 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY Blue (Post 6305902)
My clock is also slowing down. But I noticed that if I turn off the radio before I shut down the engine, it tends to lose less time. I don't have any problems starting the car or anything like that. But if I leave the radio on while sitting in the car with the engine off, I get a battery warning sign within a few minutes. Are these signs that I need a new battery as well? At my last maintenance visit back in April or so, everything checked out.

Sounds like it. I was having the same problem a few weeks ago with the exception of the clock clowing down. If I left the radio on for more then a minute after I shut the car off I go the low battery indicator. Also, my trip odemeter and clock kept resetting every time I turned the car back on again. It turned out there was a problem with one of the wires that charges the battery, and also I needed a new battery. Haven't had any problems since (knock on wood)

NY Blue 09-08-2011 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GermanCarGirl (Post 6305907)
Sounds like it. I was having the same problem a few weeks ago with the exception of the clock clowing down. If I left the radio on for more then a minute after I shut the car off I go the low battery indicator. Also, my trip odemeter and clock kept resetting every time I turned the car back on again. It turned out there was a problem with one of the wires that charges the battery, and also I needed a new battery. Haven't had any problems since (knock on wood)

Oh man! I'll have the dealer take a look at it at the next visit again. Now is it true that batteries are not a covered maintenance item?

GermanCarGirl 09-08-2011 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY Blue (Post 6305920)
Oh man! I'll have the dealer take a look at it at the next visit again. Now is it true that batteries are not a covered maintenance item?

Mine was covered...

NY Blue 09-08-2011 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GermanCarGirl (Post 6305923)
Mine was covered...

Great! Thanks for the info

GermanCarGirl 09-08-2011 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY Blue (Post 6305928)
Great! Thanks for the info

No problem!

m0nkie 09-08-2011 02:25 PM

:( looks like im gonna just have to get raped by dealer.. warranty is over..

Alpine300ZHP 09-08-2011 07:17 PM

^^^ You have nothing to worry about. Simply be proactive and replace the battery because that is the problem. The car starts shutting down features to conserve battery power when the battery gets near the end of its life hence your clock and radio issues. I replaced mine recently with a Duralast from PepBoys. Cost $99 bucks and is a like OEM replacement. Make sure you mount it correctly, attach the vent tube and get it registered at the dealer after you install it. The whole install took me about 15 minutes including time to remove the trunk interior cover panel and reinstall it. There is no need to pay dealer prices for this. The registration cost me $60 bucks and some people pay as much as $125, but it is required to make sure your battery is properly registered to the car's computer. Some people will try to tell you it does not have to be done, but problems can occur and the battery life can be drastically reduced by failure to get it registered.

Good luck.

legend700 09-09-2011 06:23 AM

Recently I have been playing around with some diagnostic software. Below are two screen prints showing details about the battery installed in my 2008 (12/2007) 535i. Sorry about all info. being in German.
Besides total mileage of the car during past 5 days it seems to show total minutes during those 5 days in various temp. ranges in Celsius; if and when battery was replaced; level of charge in hours in various ranges since day one; SOH = state of health; SOC = state of charge; temp. for the season; level of charge for past 5 days per days, etc. etc.
The most important piece of info. is "Startfaehigkeit aktuell" which was the ability of the battery to start the car the last time in %. 100% = brand new battery and 10% = close to fail. Mine was at 29.69% and I will keep checking this, to see how it might deteriorate in the future.
There is more technical stuff there which, however, is over my head.
If a checkup at BMW (and I would not go antwhere else) costs as much as a new battery and seeing that yours is probably 4 years old, get a new battery, but have it registered as Alpine previously said. This updates the info. you see below and lets dozens of control units know what your battery is capable of. For better or worse, these cars are very dependent in a good and healthy battery and I am not sure that today's batteries are up to the job yet.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m...eryinfo_01.png
http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m...eryinfo_02.png

TMQ 09-09-2011 11:38 AM

It would be good idea to get a battery tender and charge it periodically, especially if you go on short trips.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms