Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Group Buy - Tint your car (Manhattan by Tom Kovach) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567271)

octopump 09-09-2011 06:29 AM

Group Buy - Tint your car (Manhattan by Tom Kovach)

I will be getting my 535i tinted in the coming week.

I have used Tom Kovach's services in the past (The Art of Tint) and have been very pleased with his work.

Tom uses Huper Optik and Solar Gard films, is very good at what he does and has quite a following. Located in Manhattan.

Before I go to him to try and negotiate something, would anyone here be interested in getting their car tinted in the coming week or two?

bighungry618 09-09-2011 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 6307966)
I will be getting my 535i tinted in the coming week.

I have used Tom Kovach's services in the past (The Art of Tint) and have been very pleased with his work.

Tom uses Huper Optik and Solar Guard films, is very good at what he does and has quite a following. Located in Manhattan.

Before I go to him to try and negotiate something, would anyone here be interested in getting their car tinted in the coming week or two?

Count me in....although a drive to Manhattan doesn't particularly thrill me, It may not be time/cost effective depending on the "group rate" discount you can haggle.

clutchlee 09-09-2011 09:09 AM

how much will it cost?

Toxicpenguin 09-09-2011 01:40 PM

What's the cost? And how long will it take? Count me in too

Art234 09-09-2011 01:48 PM

If you are in New York, please be careful when tinting the windows. The police are beginning to enforce tint laws very strictly...even more so than usual.

bighungry618 09-09-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art234 (Post 6308941)
If you are in New York, please be careful when tinting the windows. The police are beginning to enforce tint laws very strictly...even more so than usual.

Thanks buzzkill....So do you want in on the group rate for tint?

octopump 09-09-2011 05:23 PM

Gentlemen -

No set price as of now since I have not gone to him with this yet.

Posted to see how many owners I'd be able to round-up.

The way these things go is that if we can pack a couple of days of work/ sales for him, we should be able to get a very good price.
Since I don't want to promise what I cannot deliver, I'll refrain from mentioning price for now.

Tinting a F10 takes between 2 and 3 hours (all around save for the windshield).
We can all show-up at the same time, mingle etc. while he does one car at a time or we can do it by appointment.

So it's 3-4 cars so far?

Ian_C 09-10-2011 12:29 AM

Tint

I am in. Let me know the details.

Art234 09-10-2011 12:59 PM

No, thank you, I have no desire to tint, then be forced by law to remove it...but have away at it....

I was just trying to help fellow members be aware of the situation in NY. I know a lot of cops, and have been told that they are getting stricter than ever...

Anyone else you would like to call names?

Needsdecaf 09-10-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art234 (Post 6310687)
No, thank you, I have no desire to tint, then be forced by law to remove it...but have away at it....

I was just trying to help fellow members be aware of the situation in NY. I know a lot of cops, and have been told that they are getting stricter than ever...

Anyone else you would like to call names?

If you tinted to the legal limit, why would you be forced to remove it?

Art234 09-10-2011 02:35 PM

The legal limit in NY is not much darker than the tint already on the car, so as far as I am concerned why bother? Also, some police measuring equipment is questionable, so some will get by, while others may be written up when in fact their tint is actually legal.

That said, I was only trying to be helpful. I have seen MANY cars written up, and fined if they didn't remove the tint over the past year, and according to a friend, enforcement is growing.

Again this ONLY applies within the state of New York as far as I know...

Good luck to those trying to do the group buy.

bighungry618 09-12-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 6309356)
Gentlemen -

No set price as of now since I have not gone to him with this yet.

Posted to see how many owners I'd be able to round-up.

The way these things go is that if we can pack a couple of days of work/ sales for him, we should be able to get a very good price.
Since I don't want to promise what I cannot deliver, I'll refrain from mentioning price for now.

Tinting a F10 takes between 2 and 3 hours (all around save for the windshield).
We can all show-up at the same time, mingle etc. while he does one car at a time or we can do it by appointment.

So it's 3-4 cars so far?

Trying to keep this thread alive, the discounted rate we receive will depend on how many cars we can actually promise the tint company will be guaranteed business. Please PM me or the OP if you are serious about getting this done. I assure V12 and forum readers that I am 100% onboard with this. I can’t speak for the tinting companies but I guess we can be around $200.00 or less per car, for front sides, back sides, and a one piece rear windscreen.

V12, I counted 4 including yours...Clutchlee seems to be on the fence.

Toxicpenguin 09-12-2011 12:05 PM

Bighungry ... @ 200 bucks I am in for 2 cars ... 2011 BMW and 2008 BMW both 5 series. Let me know when you finalize the price.

octopump 09-12-2011 12:19 PM

Alright - time to make the call. Will do so today and report back.

Thanks.

Note: this thread was viewed 350+ times....

Toxicpenguin 09-12-2011 12:33 PM

When u talk to the tom kovach store can u ask if I have a choice on how much tint I can put on the car? My business partner has a grey f10 and he might be interested too, he wants 30% tint max. I am in Connecticut and state troopers are a bitch on i95

octopump 09-12-2011 01:22 PM

Sure. I don't think VLT has an influence on price in his case but I will double-check.

bighungry618 09-14-2011 12:14 PM

Bump....need participation

octopump 09-14-2011 12:26 PM

Update:

This would be done on a Sunday. Next batch will be done on Sunday Sep. 25.
The booking would be for the whole day for our group and for exactly 5 cars for the day.
Cars in excess of that will be scheduled for another Sunday with another batch for a total of 5 again.

Answers:

Solar Gard film available in 5, 20, 35 and 50% VLT. Same price.
Hüper Optik also available but no discount will be offered for that film.

Tom offers a warranty for the film and his work against cracking, peeling, bubbling, fading for as long as you own the car.

I cannot advertise the group rate here but it's good.
"Group Buy - Tint your car (Manhattan by Tom Kovach)" social group was just set-up for this:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/group.php?groupid=103

Serious owners only as I need to schedule you and if you say you'll come, I need to be able to count on it. You will be asked for your details and given a password. Everything must match when you come on D day.

Please send me a PM before requesting to join the group with a note of what film and VLT you'd like so I know who's who. Thank you.

octopump 09-15-2011 05:50 AM

Morning everyone. We have a few cars. Need more.

bighungry618 09-15-2011 12:37 PM

V12,

Is there a discernable difference between Huper Optik and Solar Guard tints? Since I assume they are both dyed “premium” films, what would be the advantage of one over the other? Set aside cost before answering as I do not mind paying for better quality parts/work.

Thanks in advance

octopump 09-16-2011 06:22 AM

I think the Huper Optik is a true ceramic film, no metal, no dyes. It's also a multi-layer film: thicker than the Solar Gard.

Of interest as well: Total Solar Energy Rejected (TSER) is 60% on the Huper Optik Ceramic 35 (34% VLT), Solar Gard rejects a bit more than half as much.
Both reject 99% for ultra violet light.

Stealth.Pilot 09-16-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 6321611)
I think the Huper Optik is a true ceramic film, no metal, no dyes. It's also a multi-layer film: thicker than the Solar Gard.

Of interest as well: Total Solar Energy Rejected (TSER) is 60% on the Huper Optik Ceramic 35 (34% VLT), Solar Gard rejects a bit more than half as much.
Both reject 99% for ultra violet light.

Doesn't BMWs glass already reject UV light?

octopump 09-16-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot (Post 6321665)
Doesn't BMWs glass already reject UV light?

I too recall reading something to that effect somewhere but could not tell you whether all BMWs do and/ or only after a certain model year and not for all models.

I would expect that from the Series 7 and high-end models in other brands too.

Anyone knows why car makers don't simply offer darker factory windows as an option and avail only in VLTs such it would comply with the country/ state the car will be registered in?

F10Joe 09-19-2011 11:03 AM

I am interested in tinting my windows. Can you pm me both prices that you have received for the group buy? I live in Long Island and I am debating if I want to head out to the city to do this. Thank you.

octopump 09-19-2011 12:18 PM

F10Joe - I sent you an invitation to join our group. Please look for a PM.