Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 M5 (1998-2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   E39 M5 starting problems (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568350)

Heinekenlover10 09-14-2011 07:57 AM

E39 M5 starting problems

I have scoured the internet and not come up with much hopefully someone can help.

I got up this morning went out to the car and my trunk and doors opened just fine. When I went to start the car I got about a quarter turn on the ignition and lost all power in the car. I hooked up my booster thinking the battery might just be dead let that sit for about and hour and tried starting again now had power in the car but it would not turn over. When I disconnected the booster the power now remained on and checked the voltage at the battery it was reading 12.4V. So I tried to star the car again now with no booster and when I turn the ignition I loose all power again just like I did the first time. I now went back to the trunk to check the voltage again and as soon as I touched my voltmeter to the battery the power came back on. My suspicions are a bad battery though it is only 18 months old and I have had no problems, my starter is dead but that does not explain the total power loss, I have a ground shorting issue? Thanks in advance for the help.

Kyle

timfitz63 09-14-2011 09:20 AM

Sounds a lot like an issue that I recently experienced on an '89 Firebird Formula that I own: I suspect your starter is shorted out. It happens, and the symptoms were a lot like what you're describing.

Unfortunately, the only way (I'm told) to verify this is to remove the starter and bench-test it. And if it is the starter, be sure to load test the battery after installing a new starter; I had to replace both on my Formula, as the shorted out starter apparently took the battery down with it...

Good luck!

Heinekenlover10 09-14-2011 09:24 AM

Thanks for the response. Looks like I got to the bottom of it I removed the battery to have ti checked it was fine as I suspected. Despite the terminals and cables looked good I cleaned them up with some steel wool and replaced the battery with dielectric grease on the connections and I am now up and running again.

timfitz63 09-14-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heinekenlover10 (Post 6317836)
Thanks for the response. Looks like I got to the bottom of it I removed the battery to have ti checked it was fine as I suspected. Despite the terminals and cables looked good I cleaned them up with some steel wool and replaced the battery with dielectric grease on the connections and I am now up and running again.

Well, good! Glad it was something simple (and inexpensive) in your case! It wasn't so much in mine...! ;)

redfisch 09-28-2011 02:45 PM

It could also be a flakey ignition switch. If the problem comes back, I would suspect that as they often fail on aging E39s and cause all kinds of strange intermittent symptoms