Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 (1997 - 2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   540 mods and SC build (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569364)

bricas45 09-19-2011 05:25 AM

540 mods and SC build

7 Attachment(s)
Have these sitting at my house almost ready to install and send DME in for programming! Only a few more parts to go!!! I will photo the install for you all and get dyno numbers.

bmw_n00b13 09-19-2011 07:39 AM

Sweet. I take it that's a Dinan S/C?

bricas45 09-19-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmw_n00b13 (Post 6326855)
Sweet. I take it that's a Dinan S/C?

Sort of... I am building it based off Dinan kit. Utilizing Dinan brackets, Dinan tune (DME, and MAF remap with T9/T15 modules), parts Dinan rebadges, and other parts that are custom made to make space for SC.

stigst3r 09-19-2011 08:08 AM

very nice.... how much?

Flug540 09-19-2011 08:10 AM

Looking good :) I've just gone through the same procedure with mine. Based on the Dinan kit and a lot of custom made stuff to make it fit.

What are you going to do about CCV? I first installed CCV plumbing the way the kit intended - the stock aluminum pipe under the manifold connects the oil separator to the Dinan backplate and the hose from the backplate directly reenters the intake plumbing of the SC. The result - oil dripping everywhere from the intake parts, and intake flooded with oil. I just got it apart last night, cleaned everything. The oil even got into the MAF and air filter.

I read about it and apparently this is normal with boosted motors as the S/C increases the amount of blow-by gases and oil separator cannot efficiently separate the oil anymore so a lot of it goes by and reenters the intake. I've ordered an oil catch can to hopefully resolve the situation. I'm going to remove the stock aluminum pipe that goes to the back of the manifold, install a 180 degree fitting instead and connect to the IN port of the catch can and the OUT port connect back to the SC intake.

bricas45 09-19-2011 12:32 PM

I was going to just hook it up as suggested in the instruction manual/diagrams. Thanks for the advice I may invest in the can tool.

what did you use for the compressor bypass control valve? It looks just like the pierburg part for the SAS pump but that one is electric and the one from Dinan is manual. Is there a vendor PN on this?

bricas45 09-19-2011 12:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
this part...

bricas45 09-19-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stigst3r (Post 6326908)
very nice.... how much?

I am in a few grand on parts.

I will post final tally when I finish. It will be WAY less than their kit online.

bricas45 09-19-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 540alex (Post 6326910)
Looking good :) I've just gone through the same procedure with mine. Based on the Dinan kit and a lot of custom made stuff to make it fit.

What are you going to do about CCV? I first installed CCV plumbing the way the kit intended - the stock aluminum pipe under the manifold connects the oil separator to the Dinan backplate and the hose from the backplate directly reenters the intake plumbing of the SC. The result - oil dripping everywhere from the intake parts, and intake flooded with oil. I just got it apart last night, cleaned everything. The oil even got into the MAF and air filter.

I read about it and apparently this is normal with boosted motors as the S/C increases the amount of blow-by gases and oil separator cannot efficiently separate the oil anymore so a lot of it goes by and reenters the intake. I've ordered an oil catch can to hopefully resolve the situation. I'm going to remove the stock aluminum pipe that goes to the back of the manifold, install a 180 degree fitting instead and connect to the IN port of the catch can and the OUT port connect back to the SC intake.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1610177

Flug540 09-19-2011 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bricas45 (Post 6327387)
I was going to just hook it up as suggested in the instruction manual/diagrams. Thanks for the advice I may invest in the can tool.

what did you use for the compressor bypass control valve? It looks just like the pierburg part for the SAS pump but that one is electric and the one from Dinan is manual. Is there a vendor PN on this?

Hmm, maybe it has to do with my engine being pre-VANOS, but things are a lot simpler with my install. I just have a small vacuum tube running from the back of the manifold directly to the bypass valve. I'm pretty sure this control system wasn't in my installation instructions either and on top of that I had a Dinan technician double check the install and got a thumbs up from him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricas45 (Post 6327445)

Yes, something like that, except for us it doesn't have to go to the end plate anymore. Also, by connecting a 180 degree fitting to connection #3 on the diagram forces the gases into making a sharp turn and hopefully some of the oil will get caught right there before even entering the oil catch can.

http://realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/g/d/27.png

At first I was actually going to replace the oil separator thinking that it's causing the excess of oil to escape the engine and already bought one, but then found the picture below and realized that there is really nothing in it to break and most likely it has to do with efficiency of the part, not its being able to work or not:

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/...hnell/M5OS.jpg

There is another catch can that I considered and liked a lot, PDF is attached. The problem for me is that it is too big and fits nowhere in my install. The space on the driver's side is pretty much all taken up by the expansion tank and relocated oil filter housing. That oil catch can by 42 Design Drafts is about all that I can fit in there. Next weekend I'm also going to start working on the oil distribution block to be able to hook up two oil pressure sensors, plus SC oil feed to the stock oil pressure sensor location.

bricas45 09-20-2011 07:12 AM

maybe it has to do with the SAS system as that is the vacuum lines it is tapping into, which yours wouldn't have. I am trying to figure out if I really need it. I am going to remove the SAS system in the install anyways since the valve is in the way for the brackets, and just plug the inlets to the exhaust manifold.

franka 09-20-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 540alex (Post 6326910)

Catch can is what yadayada did to his twin SC'd car.

bricas45 09-22-2011 05:52 AM

Using a higher viscosity oil should lower blow-by oil as well. I hear with the supercharger set you should only use something like 10w-60.

Flug540 09-22-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricas45 (Post 6333531)
Using a higher viscosity oil should lower blow-by oil as well. I hear with the supercharger set you should only use something like 10w-60.

That's a good point... I'm now on 0w40.

franka 09-22-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

I think that 60 would be too high for the rest of the engine since none of the internals are changed. Personally I wouldn't go higher than 20w50.

bimmerteck 09-22-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franka (Post 6333716)
I think that 60 would be too high for the rest of the engine since none of the internals are changed. Personally I wouldn't go higher than 20w50.

10w60 will flow fine in these motors, it may not be worth the cost unless the OP is tracking his oil temps and they are high enough to warrant the 60 weight.

franka 09-24-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Is that info on the SC's mfgrs web sites?

Blow-by, especially in a SCrgd engine, is a result of worn rings and cyl walls. Sixty weight oil is not recommended by BMW except for the M5 engine.

Not even Dinan recommends it in their SCrgd application.

z28forlife 09-25-2011 10:50 AM

Have any idea how much power your gonna make?

bricas45 09-25-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franka (Post 6338563)
Is that info on the SC's mfgrs web sites?

Blow-by, especially in a SCrgd engine, is a result of worn rings and cyl walls. Sixty weight oil is not recommended by BMW except for the M5 engine.

Not even Dinan recommends it in their SCrgd application.

The TWS was a recommendation from my local Dinan rep who happens to have a day job analyzing jet engine failure modes for the FAA. There are quite a few papers on the viscosity and blow by suppression. Also I have been using TWS for a few years with fantastic results. Not every engine is the same but mine runs more smoothly on TWS. I am not saying everyone go out and by TWS just saying that is what I use and higher viscosity oils do reduce blow by.

bricas45 09-25-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28forlife (Post 6339259)
Have any idea how much power your gonna make?

Well I am currently at 288hp 303ft-lbs to wheels naturally aspirated. I hope to make at least a gain of 100-120 hp/ft-lbs. That is pretty realistic. Someone with a similar set up put down 413hp to wheels not sure on his torque numbers. With the headers the increase should be a bit more than advertised kit.

franka 09-25-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricas45 (Post 6339297)
The TWS was a recommendation from my local Dinan rep who happens to have a day job analyzing jet engine failure modes for the FAA. There are quite a few papers on the viscosity and blow by suppression. Also I have been using TWS for a few years with fantastic results. Not every engine is the same but mine runs more smoothly on TWS. I am not saying everyone go out and by TWS just saying that is what I use and higher viscosity oils do reduce blow by.

Of course higher viscosity reduces blow-by. So would 80wt gear lube.

But 60 wt is not the best for the balance of the engine. Sure its still running but that doesn't prove anything nor does jet engine experience transfer to BMW IC engines.

bricas45 09-25-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franka (Post 6339310)
Of course higher viscosity reduces blow-by. So would 80wt gear lube.

But 60 wt is not the best for the balance of the engine. Sure its still running but that doesn't prove anything nor does jet engine experience transfer to BMW IC engines.

Do you suggest sticking with 5w-30 that is recommended for the stock motor even when we are pushing these motors 150-200hp over stock output? Seems to me that since we will be raising power that will naturally increase temps and upping the viscosity is the correct action to help combat the rising temp. The TWS is the recommended oil for the S62 which is different but still very similar to the M62.

Also wanted to state, since emotion can't come across through text, that I am not arguing with you more find the conversation interesting and informative.

franka 09-25-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricas45 (Post 6339342)
Do you suggest sticking with 5w-30 that is recommended for the stock motor even when we are pushing these motors 150-200hp over stock output? Seems to me that since we will be raising power that will naturally increase temps and upping the viscosity is the correct action to help combat the rising temp. The TWS is the recommended oil for the S62 which is different but still very similar to the M62.

Also wanted to state, since emotion can't come across through text, that I am not arguing with you more find the conversation interesting and informative.

I do not recommend 5w30. But I do suggest 50 wt like 20w50. Or a 0w50 or whatever first digit will work in your climate and is available.

BMW does allow/recommend 20w50.

bricas45 09-26-2011 02:11 PM

Installed the high flow Walbro fuel pump the other day and wow I had no idea but I think my OEM was out the door. Car runs smoother pump is way quieter now! It was a very easy DIY.

Have a fab shop re-routing my coolant lines and AC lines to make room for the supercharger Wednesday.

AnotherGeezer 09-26-2011 03:30 PM

L-Field will be rockin' once you get that thing rollin'.