Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X4 F26 (On Sale 2014) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   BMW CEO confirms BMW X4 (F26) will be produced. Baby X6 interest anyone? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570168)

tim330i 09-22-2011 12:33 PM

BMW CEO confirms BMW X4 (F26) will be produced. Baby X6 interest anyone?

BMW X4 F26 production confirmed by BMW CEO
(image source: Auto Bild)

The much rumored BMW X4 has been confirmed for production by none other then BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer. The X4, a baby BMW X6 will bring the sports coupe SUV concept down market in both size and price. The production code will be F26 and will likely share power plants, drive train and suspension with the X3. You can think of the X4 as a coupe version of the X3.

In an interview with German magazine Auto Motor und Sport, Norbert Reithofer, BMW CEO, goes on record about the upcoming X4 which will be built under the internal codename F26, so the X4 will hit the market pretty soon.

According to the German report, the CEO says the BMW X4 will be approximately 4.65 meter long (15.26 feet) and feature a similar design layout to the BMW X6

Source speedlux

A smaller, (possibly) more sports oriented X6 sounds like a fun car! Who's going to check out the X4 as a potential next car or second car?

pix335i 09-22-2011 12:51 PM

And the number of cars being produced by BMW continues to go up....

I'm not too keen on this rendering from Auto Bild but I know it won't end up looking like that anyway.

Probably hold off rendering any judgement until there is more information and pictures.

528ikid 09-22-2011 06:14 PM

Who remembers the days of 3 series, 5 series, 7 series, 8 series, z3, x3, x5 and m cars? there are like a billion more now. I miss the good old days. This does seem like an interesting concept though. Now where is the X1 for us market?

Bumer 09-22-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 528ikid (Post 6334979)
Who remembers the days of 3 series, 5 series, 7 series, 8 series, z3, x3, x5 and m cars? there are like a billion more now. I miss the good old days. This does seem like an interesting concept though. Now where is the X1 for us market?

I remember days of just 3, 5, 7, and 8 series. :rofl:

Back to the topic. Cannot judge rendering, will wait for official photo.
I like X6, and if X4 is something similar to X3 with sliced off roof, I'd be interested. Who cares about that useless cargo space. :D

cwsqbm 09-22-2011 08:04 PM

Why?????

We can't have a nice 5-series wagon, a 5-door 1-series, or a 4 cylinder diesel in this country, but they'll build that ugly POS? And I thought the X6 was the dumbest car possible. Shows the limits of my imagination...

sigma95 09-23-2011 07:23 AM

X4 - Getting an X change operation.

An excerpt from my post in response to the Z2 rendering a couple months back:

"Seemed that the sporty coupes were even numbered and sedans/people movers were odd, with a few exceptions (M1 and some 3-series variants).

What's next, the 5-series coupe?"

Anyone else find it challenging to differentiate the new 5/7 series from each other without looking at the numerical tramp stamp on either's posterior?

"Running out of single digits for vehicle nomenclature BMW. I can only imagine the day when so many "niches" are created we'll be stumbling over pronouncing the unwieldy Eleven-series. Ugh. Trying to be all things to all people is going to kill BMW cachet and dilute the overall product. Enough with the X3/6 mad scientist experiments already.

Get back to making driver's cars people aspire to own and lust after their entire childhood ala the M3 and 635csi. If I see a Z4 5-door concept, heck even a sketch on a bev-nap from an uber-Oktoberfested designer, I will part out my 6er out of pure spite in protest."

Whew! That was close. Thought for a minute there I was gonna have to chop up my 6er much sooner than I thought. Don't make me do it BMW. How prophetic was it that I named my just-less-than "murdered out" 6er, "Justifiable Homicide?" The Z2 rendering, now X4 are Signs 1 and 2 the Apocalypse is upon us.

I have some branding/marketing thoughts, ruminations, etc... for the X4. How about the "22", as in Catch? An 2+2 seat Sport Utility Vehicle that is too plump to offer the driver anything resembling an athletic performance and due to its Mini-me X6 dimensions, too diminutive to provide much in the way of Utility.

Cue the BMW Niche Marketing Department, whose existence, like Area 51's, cannot be confirmed, though ironically do that very thing by launching alien craft into orbit only ever to be seen by a few wackos with a HandyCam.

So in an attempt to separate the X4 from the dreaded SUV moniker, the Sports Activity Crossover was born and abruptly euthanized upon realizing nobody wants to be caught dead riding around town in your SAC.

STRIKE 2!

Fitting that the country that invented rocketry, designs a vehicle like the X4/X6 that suffers from the same propulsion dilemma that confounded NASA engineers developing rockets powerful enough to escape Earth's gravitational pull. "Too heavy, add fuel for more power, which adds weight, which requires more fuel, which adds more weight." Do you see where this is going?

Recently BMW, known globally for it's marriage of computer wizardry and controversial automotive design have green-lighted the Sports Utility X-over Information Technology edition X4, or for short, X4 IT SUX. :thumbdwn:

bmwbmc 10-01-2011 03:54 AM

I don't like where BMW is heading lately. Too much crossover between the models. I agree with sigma95, it's not as easy anymore to differentiate the 5 and 7 series and i would go as far as to say that 3 series is not that different either. It seems that size is the main factor that separates the 3, 5 and 7 series and it starts to become boring.
True that BMW sales have gone through the roof, but so did Toyota at some point and i don't think that's necessarily a good thing. Not trying to compare the two car manufacturers, it would be near to impossible, but i think BMW is starting to become a common car, like so many others. Of course, one couldn't blame BMW for trying to increase sales by diversifying the offer, that's what they want the most, but i can see this damaging the brand in the long run.
Not to mention that some new models they came up with in the last few years are ugly as hell, and X1 takes the first place in that poll. Personally, i could never see the point of making the X3, only to have to beef up the X5 afterwards and then they built the horrendous X1. The 1 series isn't scoring any points with me in the aesthetics department either. But that's just my opinion and the large number of X1 on the road here in europe proves that the BMW is becoming ever more popular and a common sighting these days.
I feel that the desirability of owning a BMW has decreased dramatically. The new BMW lacks a certain "feel" that the old BMW had and that played a huge role in making it one of the most wanted car brands in the world.
The longer this trend continues, the more a find myself drifting away from BMW and being attracted to the other major car manufacturers like Audi or Mercedes. I love BMW, but don't agree with the direction towards which is heading.
And having made this point, about the X4 i can only say:
WHY???!!!

1985mb 10-01-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwsqbm (Post 6335245)
Why?????

We can't have a nice 5-series wagon, a 5-door 1-series, or a 4 cylinder diesel in this country, but they'll build that ugly POS? And I thought the X6 was the dumbest car possible. Shows the limits of my imagination...

Seriously. You can't get a 5- or 7-series diesel in this country, or any diesel with MT (which VW offers, btw). The F11 has disappeared and if the F31 is brought over, it will probably end up being offered in just 1 variant like the now-departed E61 (not the most powerful engine, AWD, and no sport suspension). BMW's idea of offering a practical & versatile 5-door is the uber expensive (and uber ugly) "5 GT"

Meanwhile, Audi not only has the A7/S7, but in Europe also has the 5-door A5 & S5 Sportback (gorgeous cars). They've also consistently sold the 5dr A3 in the US unlike BMW and the 1-series. They have their traditional SUVs, but instead of plugging every imaginable (or unimaginable) niche in the SUV/CUV space like BMW's X6 and X4, they are building more and more sporty sedans and wagons/hatchbacks

LMC 10-01-2011 11:51 AM

I can hardly wait for the forthcoming pickup truck. :eeps:

bredi 10-11-2011 11:48 PM

If BMW brings the X1 to the US, it would easily sell more than ten X1's for every X4.

1stbmwx3 10-28-2011 09:20 AM

IMHO the X6 is sexy. Not sure if I like this though. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be just a smaller X6, but I'm not sure if it will sell. Not many X6's out there.

luckydog 12-03-2011 08:19 PM

Very nice.I like the larger tires ,on the smaller body. It appears to be a short car,witch i like. Of course the price of them new will be prohibitive.:yikes:

///M-ratedE90 12-04-2011 04:29 AM

Looking forward to the vert...!
:angel:

bmw325 12-05-2011 08:12 AM

My guess is that China is driving most of the demand behind these crossovers. Even the regular X3; as the majority of them get shipped there. I'm guessing the combination of bad roads, and the desire to stand out factor in.

hhgolf 02-01-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim330i (Post 6334358)
BMW X4 F26 production confirmed by BMW CEO
(image source: Auto Bild)

The much rumored BMW X4 has been confirmed for production by none other then BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer. The X4, a baby BMW X6 will bring the sports coupe SUV concept down market in both size and price. The production code will be F26 and will likely share power plants, drive train and suspension with the X3. You can think of the X4 as a coupe version of the X3.

In an interview with German magazine Auto Motor und Sport, Norbert Reithofer, BMW CEO, goes on record about the upcoming X4 which will be built under the internal codename F26, so the X4 will hit the market pretty soon.

According to the German report, the CEO says the BMW X4 will be approximately 4.65 meter long (15.26 feet) and feature a similar design layout to the BMW X6

Source speedlux

A smaller, (possibly) more sports oriented X6 sounds like a fun car! Who's going to check out the X4 as a potential next car or second car?

I might consider this one if it has a hatch that can swing wide open enough so,I could load my 80# Honda snowblower into it for service.
would go with less than max wheel size as our roads aren't the best. 17 inch rims work nicely on my 335xi