Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Some F20 Pictures from the dealer (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573451)

AzNMpower32 10-07-2011 09:50 AM

Some F20 Pictures from the dealer

6 Attachment(s)
Because it seems as if I'm the only one in the US who somewhat likes the F20 1er, I strolled down to Atlantic BMW in Kapstadt (Cape Town). Here are some gratuitous pictures of the F20 that just arrived in SA dealerships two days ago (taken with my mobile phone).

At this point normally I'd talk about a test drive but I don't think they would appreciate a foreigner (especially an American :eeps:) test driving their brand new fleet of cars. But the upshot is this; the interior materials are more substantial in touch and feel than its predecessor and the trunk/boot space seems a bit more useable. Rear legroom is slightly improved but if the folks in the front are tall, those in the rear are going to be pressed for room. Headroom is quite good and the steering wheel feels nice and chunky. I thought the Sport trim would be overkill on the exterior looks but I like the interior on it better.

Prices for the SA market start at around R268.000 for the entry 116i petrol and go up to around R235.000 for the top-dog 120d diesel, plus options of course. Prices inclusive of 14% VAT. Fuel consumption figures are pretty good as are the CO≤ emissions.

By the way, as expected, the salesmen/advisors were much more knowledgeable about the cars than dealers in the US. We had a nice conversation, nothing pushy or the "get out" attitude. He even know about cars in the US market, like how we get xDrive models in the US but not in SA. How's that for proper advisor behaviour?

mgthompson 10-07-2011 10:14 AM

I saw it two weeks ago at the Frankfurt car show. It looks much better in person than it does in pictures.

SilverX3 10-07-2011 11:21 PM

It s here I sat in and still ugly

Andrew*Debbie 10-10-2011 07:09 AM

I'm considering an F20 as a potential replacement when our MINI comes off lease in February.

The UK petrol F20s are powered by MINI engines! Yup. The same 1.6L unit in set up for longitudinal mounting tuned for 136HP or 170HP. I'm not sure how I feel about this. The MINI motor is a good engine but it doesn't feel like a BMW engine to me. On the other hand, petrol F20s have lower fuel consumption then the car they replace. I'll reserve judgement until I can drive an F20. I missed my chance at a BMW UK sponsored drive event. Didn't find out about it in time.

F20 UK list price is lower then the e87 too. The e81s and e87s have had significant factory incentives. Maybe the lower list price is not really a lower price.

greengoose 10-11-2011 09:22 AM

Will there be a coupe version of the next generation 1 Series? Everywhere I look I see this 5 door hatchback, but have not seen any pics of any coupes or cabs

Andrew*Debbie 10-11-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greengoose (Post 6372228)
Will there be a coupe version of the next generation 1 Series? Everywhere I look I see this 5 door hatchback, but have not seen any pics of any coupes or cabs

Just the 5 door at the moment with a 3 door hatch due within a year. The coupe and cabrio will stay on the current platform for now. This is typical for BMW.

UK market has moderate incentives on the 3-door hatch and smaller incentives for the coupe.

amancuso 10-11-2011 12:25 PM

Loving this new hatch, shame BMW NA will not bring it to the USA.

jman103099 10-11-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amancuso (Post 6372652)
Loving this new hatch, shame BMW NA will not bring it to the USA.

Wait... I thought they were? :dunno:

SilverX3 10-11-2011 10:44 PM

the two door sedan / coupe will be a 2 series apparently

launch here next weekend and I have been invited

Andrew*Debbie 10-12-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman103099 (Post 6372804)
Wait... I thought they were? :dunno:

Do you have a source? I haven't heard anything one way or the other.

AzNMpower32 10-12-2011 11:03 AM

I don't think the F20 is headed to North America. BMW doesn't really see a market.........:rolleyes:

devla 10-12-2011 05:28 PM

For what its worth, Sep issue of Roundel says it is.

CJ Type S 10-12-2011 07:24 PM

I saw the F20 at the Welt a few weeks ago and I don't really think it looks that much better in person. Just no real design direction on the front end and the back is almost a replica of the VW Polo. I do think the interior is nice and the materials are better than the current 1 Series.

Superschnell 10-18-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie (Post 6369806)
I'm considering an F20 as a potential replacement when our MINI comes off lease in February.

The UK petrol F20s are powered by MINI engines! Yup. The same 1.6L unit in set up for longitudinal mounting tuned for 136HP or 170HP. I'm not sure how I feel about this. The MINI motor is a good engine but it doesn't feel like a BMW engine to me. On the other hand, petrol F20s have lower fuel consumption then the car they replace. I'll reserve judgement until I can drive an F20.

The petrol engines in the F20 are new constructions and equipped with a twin scroll turbo.

The old Mini engines were Chrysler products, also used in the Neon. I believe they switched engine in 2007 with the new model generation.
I have a 2005 Cooper S myself, and this old construction doesn't make half as fun as the new BMW-developed ones.

I tried the 118i during the introduction at dealer in September and loved it! :D

jman103099 10-18-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devla (Post 6375712)
For what its worth, Sep issue of Roundel says it is.

That would be my source. :thumbup:

jsc 10-18-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superschnell (Post 6387191)
The petrol engines in the F20 are new constructions and equipped with a twin scroll turbo.

The old Mini engines were Chrysler products, also used in the Neon. I believe they switched engine in 2007 with the new model generation.
I have a 2005 Cooper S myself, and this old construction doesn't make half as fun as the new BMW-developed ones.

I tried the 118i during the introduction at dealer in September and loved it! :D

The 2007+ Mini engines were a joint development with PSA Peugeot CitroŽn.

Andrew*Debbie 10-19-2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsc (Post 6388319)
The 2007+ Mini engines were a joint development with PSA Peugeot CitroŽn.

Yes. All current MINI petrol engines are based on the BMW/PSA CitroŽn joint development and are built at Hams Hall in England.

The BMW N13 motor in the F20 uses the same engine block. The N13 is built at Hams Hall. The N13 bottom end is more or less the same as what is in the current MINI Cooper S, but reconfigured for RWD. The top end is updated with the new turbo charger.

The N13 will be in some future MINIs. I'm guessing it will go into the next MINI xxxx S and JCW. 170HP is about right for the S and the JCW will have to be a little higher output. It is also possible the JCW could get a BMW 2.0L I4 motor but that is an uninformed guess.

The 3 cylinder N37 will be going into the upcoming F56 MINI but not into any BMWs. I'm guessing the One and Cooper.

I had thought (guessed wrong?) the N13 was also going to be the range extender motor for the i3 and i8. Latest rumours is the range extender motors will be based on BMW motorcycle engines. :dunno: link --> http://www.carsuk.net/bmw-i3-ev-to-g...ange-extender/

From the time you hit the start button, MINI engines have a distinctive sound and feel that is not BMW. I'll wait until a test drive to see if BMW somehow changed the N13 to be more BMW like.

AzNMpower32 10-19-2011 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie (Post 6388477)
Yes. All current MINI petrol engines are based on the BMW/PSA CitroŽn joint development and are built at Hams Hall in England.

The BMW N13 motor in the F20 uses the same engine block. The N13 is built at Hams Hall. The N13 bottom end is more or less the same as what is in the current MINI Cooper S, but reconfigured for RWD. The top end is updated with the new turbo charger. BMW is building the N13 in

The N13 will be in some future MINIs. I'm guessing it will go into the next MINI xxxx S and JCW. 170HP is about right for the S and the JCW will have to be a little higher output. It is also possible the JCW could get a BMW 2.0L I4 motor but that is an uninformed guess.

The 3 cylinder N37 will be going into the upcoming F56 MINI but not into any BMWs. I'm guessing the One and Cooper.

I had thought (guessed wrong?) the N13 was also going to be the range extender motor for the i3 and i8. Latest rumours is the range extender motors will be based on BMW motorcycle engines. :dunno: link --> http://www.carsuk.net/bmw-i3-ev-to-g...ange-extender/

From the time you hit the start button, MINI engines have a distinctive sound and feel that is not BMW. I'll wait until a test drive to see if BMW somehow changed the N13 to be more BMW like.

I agree. I've driven both the 118i (E87) and the Mini, and the engine in the 1er was definitely smoother and more refined than that in the Mini. Not that the 4-cyl in the Mini is bad or anything, but it ain't a 1er.