Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Cant chip/remap my 1995 E36 328?? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576896)

danny1978 10-23-2011 06:42 PM

Cant chip/remap my 1995 E36 328??
 
Hi all

I have a 1995 E36 328 which I have owned for around 5 yrs. I had the throttle body conversion done a while ago now and fancied a bit more power so I decided to look into getting the motor chipped/re-mapped but was told that my car is not able to be chipped/re-mapped due to the build date. I think my car was built on the 05/1995 whats that about please??

And is there a difference between a chip and a remap and is there a way round this problem I am having

Cheers for your help.

cj.surr 10-23-2011 07:00 PM

You can't get your DME chipped, you have to reflash it with a special tool/software. Look up OBDII tune.

jonesin 10-23-2011 07:03 PM

CJ, that depends if the OP is from London UK, or London ON. The UK didn't have OBD II regulations until later. However, I still don't believe there was a '95 328.

cj.surr 10-23-2011 07:05 PM

oops. didn't notice that. Considering he said "cheers", let's assume he's from UK.

When I first saw this I thought they didn't make 328s in '95, but they must have built them in '95 for them to be ready in '96 :dunno:

jonesin 10-23-2011 07:08 PM

Yes, but they would still be a '96 model year.

cj.surr 10-23-2011 07:11 PM

Maybe he just thinks that his car is a '95 since the build date was in '95...

jonesin 10-23-2011 07:14 PM

Many people don't know what they have. More's the pity :(

DenKare 10-23-2011 10:10 PM

wierd... my 325is is a 1995/8

Kdoherty 10-24-2011 05:07 AM

pretty much all car mfg.'s release the new model year in the last 2 months of the previous model year and extend into the next two months of the next year. so you end up with MY11 cars with 12/10 build dates and stuff.

granlund 10-24-2011 07:44 AM

The 328 was introduced in Europe as a MY-1995 model with build dates from late 1994.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do...one=ECE&arch=0

hornhospital 10-24-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kdoherty (Post 6398348)
pretty much all car mfg.'s release the new model year in the last 2 months of the previous model year and extend into the next two months of the next year. so you end up with MY11 cars with 12/10 build dates and stuff.

I know what you mean, Ken, but the release date doesn't have to coincide with the build date. They are building the next M-Y well before November. Both of my E36s were built in September, but were the following year's model.

danny1978 10-24-2011 11:57 AM

Just checked my Log book and it says the build date is 08/1995

I checked on superchips website for a chip for my car and its telling me they only do a chip for my model after 09/1995 so wtf is that about man? If I cant chip or remap my car ill be pissed as I thought the chip would finish it off nicely, well for now at least next step probably be cams or something

Someone must of encountered this problem before

jonesin 10-24-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danny1978 (Post 6399161)
Just checked my Log book and it says the build date is 08/1995

I checked on superchips website for a chip for my car and its telling me they only do a chip for my model after 09/1995 so wtf is that about man? If I cant chip or remap my car ill be pissed as I thought the chip would finish it off nicely, well for now at least next step probably be cams or something

Someone must of encountered this problem before

Well, should you choose to answer my original question, I'd be spending my time helping you with this post.

HakenTT 10-24-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj.surr (Post 6397858)
You can't get your DME chipped, you have to reflash it with a special tool/software. Look up OBDII tune.

You are wrong! Siemens MS41.1 in 1996-1999 328i and M3 are chippable. You just have to desolder the chip and solder in a socket. Then you can swap chips like OBD1 ecu. But because of the EWS it is more complicated.

Photos here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1583588

drivinfaster 10-24-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HakenTT (Post 6399436)
You are wrong! Siemens MS41.1 in 1996-1999 328i and M3 are chippable. You just have to desolder the chip and solder in a socket. Then you can swap chips like OBD1 ecu. But because of the EWS it is more complicated.

Photos here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1583588

sorta kinda can be done if you know what you are doing. however, for the majority of the public 'diy' types, a plug-n-play flash is simpler. (and legal :eeps:)

i mean, just because i know how to do a prostrate reduction surgery with a bottle brush and a c-clamp doesn't mean it should be done on everybody. not even the pineys.



df

hornhospital 10-24-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivinfaster (Post 6399689)
i mean, just because i know how to do a prostrate reduction surgery with a bottle brush and a c-clamp doesn't mean it should be done on everybody. not even the pineys.



df

:yikes: Who else cringed when they read that?

df, I didn't know you were a urologist. :rofl:

Dibbar 11-02-2012 07:25 PM

Ok so if you do this to an MS41.1 could you use the same tuner chips the 413 uses or do you have to specially program them for this DME? I have no problem putting in a socket, just not sure where to get a chip for it.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms