Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Run flat tires Ride (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579612)

jmnbmw 11-06-2011 05:53 AM

Run flat tires Ride
 
Since we have no choice in not getting the run flat tires, would the ride be overall softer and smoother with the Luxury package versus the Sport package???

sunny5280 11-06-2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmnbmw (Post 6423769)
Since we have no choice in not getting the run flat tires, would the ride be overall softer and smoother with the Luxury package versus the Sport package???

As I'm not aware of a luxury package I assume you're referring to trim levels when you say Luxury / Sport packages. If that's the case I believe the ride would be essentially the same between the two. The Sport trim level doesn't fundamentally change the suspension. The only suspension related difference I am aware of is the Sport trim level adds a "Sport +" option to the driver selectable suspension settings.

fabby 11-07-2011 06:22 AM

Test drove new 5's with runflats this weekend. I was pleasantly surprized at how well they felt compared to the last time I drove them in 08 bmw's and 11 mercedes c class. they are definitely improving.

Spartacus_33 11-07-2011 07:19 AM

Is there any reliable information about whether the F30 will also come without a spare tire?

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

johnc_22 11-07-2011 09:36 AM

Any rumors that run flats have gotten better are just that. I have a late model loaner 328i (probably a 2010 or 2011) and while the ride is fairly compliant, get that thing up to highway speeds and all you can hear is the tires roaring (they are Conti RFT's that are standard on a stripped 328i, is my guess).

Of course it's possible the F30 will somehow improve how RFT's behave on the new models, and these Conti's may be some of the worst of the bunch.

mclaren 11-07-2011 05:07 PM

I like runflats. My 335is has the Michelin PS2 ZP's and they ride fine and are not noisy. People who hate runflats seem to forget the many advantages. My '06 Z4 with the sport package rode harshly but BMW has adjusted the suspension on the 2011s. My Z4 rides fine.

RobertaZ 11-08-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren (Post 6427105)
I like runflats. People who hate runflats seem to forget the many advantages.


Give me regular tires and a spare in the trunk ANY time.

tim330i 11-08-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus_33 (Post 6425868)
Is there any reliable information about whether the F30 will also come without a spare tire?

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

From page 28 of the BMW Press kidd -
Quote:

A further advantage of this system is that a spare tyre and a jack can be dispensed with, thereby saving weight and creating more boot space.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/pdf/bmw-pr...-328i-335i.pdf

That is about as reliable as it gets. No spare tire on the F30 3 series sedan.

Tim

mclaren 11-08-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertaZ (Post 6428333)
Give me regular tires and a spare in the trunk ANY time.

When it's 20 below and snowing and you're on a busy highway with a flat tire you might feel differently.

55 11-08-2011 04:52 PM

BMW wouldn't go back to non RF. It looks like it doesn't affect buying decisions for millions, so why change back?

3284me 11-08-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren (Post 6429076)
When it's 20 below and snowing and you're on a busy highway with a flat tire you might feel differently.

+1 10,000 miles on my conti's and love them so far.

Spartacus_33 11-08-2011 05:52 PM

I really don't have a problem with the RFs.... had them with my 545. It also had a spare for "just in case". It's the NO SPARE thing that I'm not comfortable with.

LS2 MN6 11-08-2011 05:58 PM

Run-flats are just like normal tires in that some run-flats have stiffer sidewalls than others.

When you think a ride is harsh due to the tire it relates directly to sidewall stiffness. The problem with giving away stiffness is that you lose performance.

If BMW uses different tires on a Luxury versus a Sport model one of the tire criteria is sidewall stiffness the Luxury will have less stiffness than the Sport model.

Changing tires on a car can dramatically change the way you perceive the ride quality, obviously.

Side wall height also plays a role. The more sidewall the more "options" you have for stiffness. You can only unstiffen a small sidewall so much.

Trying to group run-flats together as one type with a specific set of characteristics isn't going to get you far. You can only say that on average they have stiffer sidewalls due to design. However you can get some pretty stiff non run-flat tires.

mclaren 11-08-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus_33 (Post 6429411)
I really don't have a problem with the RFs.... had them with my 545. It also had a spare for "just in case". It's the NO SPARE thing that I'm not comfortable with.

Someone posted a situation where not having a spare caused them a real problem. I said that while having a spare would have helped that person the trade off is the thousands that would never use a spare. Having a spare takes up space, adds weight, and adds cost. All that when the vast majority of people will never use it.

SoonerJohn 11-08-2011 06:25 PM

I think a lot of you just like to complain. :-) I've had my '06 325i over crappy Dallas streets and cruising up I-35 to Oklahoma with the cruise control set at 110 (no kidding!) and thought it was great!

Spartacus_33 11-08-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren (Post 6429439)
Someone posted a situation where not having a spare caused them a real problem. I said that while having a spare would have helped that person the trade off is the thousands that would never use a spare. Having a spare takes up space, adds weight, and adds cost. All that when the vast majority of people will never use it.

If you're driving around a major city and have problems with a RF... not a big deal. However,if you're going cross country ... and find yourself in Podunk, Idaho... and have a problem you may have a hard time finding a replacement. A spare could at least get you back to civilization.

sunny5280 11-09-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren (Post 6429439)
Someone posted a situation where not having a spare caused them a real problem. I said that while having a spare would have helped that person the trade off is the thousands that would never use a spare. Having a spare takes up space, adds weight, and adds cost. All that when the vast majority of people will never use it.

It's not so much that BMW doesn't include a spare. It's that they make no place to put one, even a compact, if the owner should want one.

sunny5280 11-09-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus_33 (Post 6429464)
If you're driving around a major city and have problems with a RF... not a big deal. However,if you're going cross country ... and find yourself in Podunk, Idaho... and have a problem you may have a hard time finding a replacement. A spare could at least get you back to civilization.

This.

johnc_22 11-09-2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus_33 (Post 6429464)
If you're driving around a major city and have problems with a RF... not a big deal. However,if you're going cross country ... and find yourself in Podunk, Idaho... and have a problem you may have a hard time finding a replacement. A spare could at least get you back to civilization.

+1

In most cases it will be IMPOSSIBLE to find a replacement except in the largest cities, and you may be forced to obtain it at a ridiculous price from a BMW dealer.

I'd like decent RFTs AND space for a donut spare and a factory option to have the spare provided at purchase time.

55 11-09-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunny5280 (Post 6430554)
It's not so much that BMW doesn't include a spare. It's that they make no place to put one, even a compact, if the owner should want one.

Absolutely. Give us an option, we can spend a few bucks and get a spare.

captainaudio 11-09-2011 03:57 PM

Due to the RFT issue my 335i will be my first and last BMW.

CA

Hot Toddy 11-23-2011 03:00 PM

I hope to make a deal when and if I buy another BMW to trade the run flat tires to the dealer for a set of five regular get flat tires of my choice. Hopefully, the dealer should be willing to do that to make the sale of the car since he can eventually make some more money as he sells the run flats for $400 each. I would be willing to give him some extra money on the front end also just to be able to have the tires I want on the car.

I will go in for my one year service in a few weeks and will probably ask the manager if that can be arranged before pickup of the new car. Just asking.

Hot Toddy




Quote:

Originally Posted by captainaudio (Post 6431593)
Due to the RFT issue my 335i will be my first and last BMW.

CA


laser 11-23-2011 05:37 PM

Take a look at the F10 board sticky nearing 1,000 posts about RoFT bubble issues. :thumbdwn:

volsfan0911 11-23-2011 07:27 PM

Had a flat not too long ago when on a business trip to Montana. Bottom line - rental car, zero cell phone service (Verizon) and literally 75 miles from the nearest "city". The Nissan I was driving? No problem, put the donut on and made it to Miles City. Did I mention it was 5 degrees that morning with a foot of snow on the ground and I was the ONLY car I'd seen that morning on I-94 East? Spare = mandatory IMHO.

johnc_22 11-23-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volsfan0911 (Post 6459559)
Had a flat not too long ago when on a business trip to Montana. Bottom line - rental car, zero cell phone service (Verizon) and literally 75 miles from the nearest "city". The Nissan I was driving? No problem, put the donut on and made it to Miles City. Did I mention it was 5 degrees that morning with a foot of snow on the ground and I was the ONLY car I'd seen that morning on I-94 East? Spare = mandatory IMHO.

I think one if the things that an automobile offers is freedom and independence, freedom to get in the car, and go where ever you want. A spare tire provides some insurance that you can get your own ass out of trouble when needed. With a bad RFT in the middle of nowhere you're toast - you are no longer free or independent but plain stuck waiting for Assist, AAA or whatever to bail you and your $50K paperweight out of East BF. BMW has devolved the automobile by offering no reasonable alternative to RFTs. All they have to do is give me a spare tire well and I'll do the rest.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms