Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Vehicle battery needs to be replaced on a 10 months old car???? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579733)

zgt88 11-06-2011 04:01 PM

Vehicle battery needs to be replaced on a 10 months old car????
 
We have the 535ix purchased last year in December so it's been 10 months with 9000 miles. Wife drives the car most of the time but when I took the car out today, I get an warning says "You may still drive the vehicle, have the battery replaced at the next opportunity".

I have never had a car that needs the battery replaced in less than a year. This is almost telling me that the alternator is bad or the battery is not charging the battery properly. Is battery included in the warranty? We have already has a bad experiance with the dealer during purchasing I am really hoping the car can hold up to it's reputation. :dunno::dunno:

Anyone else had issue with the battery within the first year? or even two?

Thanks guys!!!

2011 535IX | Black Sapphire

Needsdecaf 11-06-2011 04:13 PM

It has been a fairly common problem with these cars. Does your wife do a lot of short trips? The charge while coast system may be a bit suspect....

zgt88 11-06-2011 04:22 PM

Wife uses the car every other day, not short trips but stop and go traffic as that is our daily life living in the DC area. I just don't understands that we have had other cars where I don't need to replace the battery until 3-4 years. It just seems like these cars are just draining the battery even if they are just sitting there.

2011 535IX | Black Sapphire

Needsdecaf 11-06-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zgt88 (Post 6424866)
Wife uses the car every other day, not short trips but stop and go traffic as that is our daily life living in the DC area. I just don't understands that we have had other cars where I don't need to replace the battery until 3-4 years. It just seems like these cars are just draining the battery even if they are just sitting there.

2011 535IX | Black Sapphire

There have been problems with electrical on this car. Take it in, make them replace it under warranty. Don't let them give you any jive about your driving habits.

Emilner 11-06-2011 05:32 PM

I have been through 2 in 12,000 miles :(

zgt88 11-06-2011 06:16 PM

Thanks for the note "decaf". I plan to call the dealer tomorrow just to get a feel what they will say.

To Emilner, I (wife does not care much) also wanted to get the 550ix in four years. At least that is the plan. We will do the European delivery next time. 2 batteries in 12000 miles... Wow! Did you had to pay for it or it is covered under warranty? I seriously don't want this to be a yearly thing...

BZATWORK 11-06-2011 06:48 PM

Disconnect the fax machine and the coffee maker from the cigarette lighter when the car is not on.

zgt88 11-06-2011 07:09 PM

I knew I shouldn't use this as my backup power specially for that cup of good coffee.. Lol

w5lx 11-07-2011 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BZATWORK (Post 6425168)
Disconnect the fax machine and the coffee maker from the cigarette lighter when the car is not on.

When the car is turned off, there is no power going to the cigarette lighter socket.

Needsdecaf 11-07-2011 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w5lx (Post 6425715)
When the car is turned off, there is no power going to the cigarette lighter socket.

There is to the one under the passenger's feet, though. That is not switched even when the car is locked.

RH512 11-07-2011 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf (Post 6425726)
There is to the one under the passenger's feet, though. That is not switched even when the car is locked.

Sorry to go somewhat OT but if that one stays on then it can be used for a trickle charger? You're sure...yes?

Emilner 11-07-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zgt88 (Post 6425104)
Thanks for the note "decaf". I plan to call the dealer tomorrow just to get a feel what they will say.

To Emilner, I (wife does not care much) also wanted to get the 550ix in four years. At least that is the plan. We will do the European delivery next time. 2 batteries in 12000 miles... Wow! Did you had to pay for it or it is covered under warranty? I seriously don't want this to be a yearly thing...

It was covered under warranty- and I would assume it will continue to be covered either under the warranty or free maintenence program. It was rather frustrating...

1HOT BMR 11-07-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH512 (Post 6425803)
Sorry to go somewhat OT but if that one stays on then it can be used for a trickle charger? You're sure...yes?

No, that one eventually goes off too. I have my V1 connected to it and I'm using this outlet because it switches off after a few minutes - open or locked doors is the same :thumbup:

Going back on topic: this is just a deficiency of the novel charging system BMW developed to save a few ounces of gas. This is simply another flaw of the F10 - why should anyone have to use a trickle charger to avoid replacing the battery every few months? :thumbdwn:

Brad wool 11-07-2011 08:57 AM

Just picked my car up today. It needed a new battery. This has been the only problem other than the tires. I will not even get started on that topic.

zgt88 11-07-2011 01:04 PM

Called the dealer this morning to bring the car in on Wednesday. However, they said it may or may not be covered under the warranty depending on the issue. I am not going to argue with them over the phone so called NABMW Customer relations and explained my situation. She is very determined that the car is still under full warranty and should be covered 100%. She told me to call her if the dealer thinks otherwise. Feel a little better now but it's still a hassle to bring the car in and etc...

Anyway keep you guys posted on the visit on Wednesday.

Hey Brad Wool, nice shine on that new car of yours.... regarding tires, I purchased tire insurance from
Robin Agee
Financial Services Manager
Flow BMW
336-788-3333 ph

Since you have already took delivery, not sure if she will still take the order but call her anyway...all she can say is no right?

autojack 11-08-2011 02:41 PM

What's up with this? My "Replace Battery" warning indicator recently came on at 8600 miles during my 11th month of ownership. How can this be? It has to be covered under the 50K mile warranty - doesn't it? Guess I will find out when I get into the dealer next week.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience about the frequency of this on our new F10s?


Warranty coverage?

Brad wool 11-08-2011 02:47 PM

My car has 6k and it was covered no questions asked.Let me know what happens ? Good luck

yogi799 11-08-2011 03:52 PM

You guys are freaking me out... If something is intentionally done to reduce the charging current while the vehicle is operated to save gas, and a $100 battery needs to be replaced every year, I am officially and seriously outraged and will forever change my opinion about BMW. Fake and non-existant "savings", which in reality switch profits from the oil industry to car battery makers and/or other parts makers (start-stop function and all the elements that destroys prematurely, incl. the battery...) and BMW service centers at the same time. All of that to show a better number on the MPG fact-sheet, but in practice fooling us all and robbing of money in bright daylight.

I sure hope this is just a glitch that some F10s are experiencing, although, even that sounds scary I must admit. Seems like a no-win situation.

Needsdecaf 11-08-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogi799 (Post 6429173)
You guys are freaking me out... If something is intentionally done to reduce the charging current while the vehicle is operated to save gas, and a $100 battery needs to be replaced every year, I am officially and seriously outraged and will forever change my opinion about BMW. Fake and non-existant "savings", which in reality switch profits from the oil industry to car battery makers and/or other parts makers (start-stop function and all the elements that destroys prematurely, incl. the battery...) and BMW service centers at the same time. All of that to show a better number on the MPG fact-sheet, but in practice fooling us all and robbing of money in bright daylight.

I sure hope this is just a glitch that some F10s are experiencing, although, even that sounds scary I must admit. Seems like a no-win situation.

I think you're overreacting.

YOu also act like this technology is unique to BMW. All automakers are being forced into measures like these to meet fuel economy or CO2 output measures. These technologies are coming, and as they are new, there will be teething problems.

zgt88 11-08-2011 07:05 PM

Dropped off the car today instead of in the morning. All the information is in the key fob, so as soon as they put the fob in the cradle they can tell what the problem is. In my case, the error is showing electrical problem which makes me think that my battery may still be ok or just not charged properly by the system. However, the service manager did tell me that they don't see this message very often. Either way, I will find out tomorrow as they need to monitor it overnight. I hope is just a minor wiring problem, fix it and I'll be on my way. Reason> they gave me a Toyota Carolla as a loaner. Nothing against Toyota's as I have the van and a Camry but going from a 300HP down to a 132HP car is a challenge to get use to...LOL.

yogi799 11-08-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf (Post 6429340)
I think you're overreacting.

YOu also act like this technology is unique to BMW. All automakers are being forced into measures like these to meet fuel economy or CO2 output measures. These technologies are coming, and as they are new, there will be teething problems.

Really? Save a few ounces of fuel for land fills full of dead batteries? If a battery is in need of replacement after a year of driving, clearly there is something wrong. And if the technology is not perfected, don't install it in a $60k car. If they gave you a car which wouldn't start every other time because of new improved fuel efficiency, would you also call it teething problems? Give me a break.... They have years of development time and we're not their guinea pigs. I am very concerned based on these reports.

1HOT BMR 11-08-2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogi799 (Post 6429659)
Really? Save a few ounces of fuel for land fills full of dead batteries? If a battery is in need of replacement after a year of driving, clearly there is something wrong. And if the technology is not perfected, don't install it in a $60k car. If they gave you a car which wouldn't start every other time because of new improved fuel efficiency, would you also call it teething problems? Give me a break.... They have years of development time and we're not their guinea pigs. I am very concerned based on these reports.

I agree with you but I'm ready to replace the battery once a year if necessary. I knew going in that buying this BMW would be a reliability risk and an expensive one at that. Were you really hoping to get Acura reliability on a first year production over engineered 5 series? BTW, I'm at 9K+ miles and 11 months so I'm a prime candidate for the dreaded "replace battery" message :D

radarguy 11-09-2011 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogi799 (Post 6429173)
You guys are freaking me out... If something is intentionally done to reduce the charging current while the vehicle is operated to save gas, and a $100 battery needs to be replaced every year .......

Just to freak you out a little more, the battery costs more than $400 to replace - not $100.

alex_c 11-09-2011 05:12 AM

I drove my 2011 535 for 14 months, 17,000 miles and had zero battery issues. Almost every week the car would stay parked for 2 or 3 days while traveling and never was a problem. And mine was an early July 2010 build. I think this battery issue may be an isolated case and not an expected behavior.

ssj 11-09-2011 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_c (Post 6430186)
I drove my 2011 535 for 14 months, 17,000 miles and had zero battery issues. Almost every week the car would stay parked for 2 or 3 days while traveling and never was a problem. And mine was an early July 2010 build. I think this battery issue may be an isolated case and not an expected behavior.

If you do not drive for a few days, but drive a good distance on the others, the battery will not have issues. It is just stop and go low
mileage that seems to be a problem.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms