Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Radio problems...anyone? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579858)

Leslierc 11-07-2011 08:30 AM

Radio problems...anyone?

I am currently parking my 135i in our driveway (my 7 and my wife's Smart occupy the garage) and I've noticed that my iPod connection has been problematic ever since the temperatures at night have been in the low 30s-40s. When I first start the car the iPod selection appears in the menu and the selected song will conntinue to appear on the radio screen even though the music cuts off or won't play. I've noticed the the problem solves itself if I disconnect the iPod and hold it in my hand for a while to warm it up. I've begun disconnecting the iPod from the car and storing it with my key fob inside the house and this seems to work as well. The iPod and BMW connecting cable are both new; so, I'm thinking that this is just a symptom of the cold and nothing more. However, I thought I would check-in and ask here in case anyone else has experienced anything like this.

energetik9 11-08-2011 05:03 AM

Sorry, haven't experienced that with my 335 or with my wife's 128. Although I will say we keep our cars in the garage, behind an insulated garage door.

However, I have no doubt that an iPod is subject to some complications in cold weather.

Leslierc 11-08-2011 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by energetik9 (Post 6427839)
Sorry, haven't experienced that with my 335 or with my wife's 128. Although I will say we keep our cars in the garage, behind an insulated garage door.

However, I have no doubt that an iPod is subject to some complications in cold weather.

Thanks! I really do think it's a factor of the cold weather because I have the same iPods in my 7 and my wife's Smart, which are garaged, and have no problems with those devices.

BeemerMeUp 11-09-2011 07:53 PM

I'm going to go with it being on the iPod. I have had the same problem with my iPod touch and hot/cold weather. I know lately my phone (Samsung Fascinate-Droid) has issues with freezing when it's freezing outside.

maybebmw 11-17-2011 07:25 PM

It's the iPod. I've just recently been having the exact same problem. It never happened last year, even in the most bitter cold, yet it has happened several times in the past month. I have mine set to play all of the tunes in alphabetical order (3 months straight with no repeats), and have found that it takes longer to come on, and when it does, it defaults to showing the first song in alphabetical order. It will keep this song displayed for the entirety of the trip, even though it plays the song it should be playing in the order it should play it in (ex: will display Absolutely Sweet Marie, but will play Toad). Cycling the on/off does nothing. I have to power down the car for a while, then power back on again for it to switch back to being normal.

I think I have fixed the issue by waiting for the iPOD to completely connect before doing anything to it, such as powering it off, changing the tune, etc. If it is allowed to completely connect, no issue. If I interrupt it, issue.

ProRail 11-17-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslierc (Post 6426006)
I am currently parking my 135i in our driveway (my 7 and my wife's Smart occupy the garage) and I've noticed that my iPod connection has been problematic ever since the temperatures at night have been in the low 30s-40s. When I first start the car the iPod selection appears in the menu and the selected song will conntinue to appear on the radio screen even though the music cuts off or won't play. I've noticed the the problem solves itself if I disconnect the iPod and hold it in my hand for a while to warm it up. I've begun disconnecting the iPod from the car and storing it with my key fob inside the house and this seems to work as well. The iPod and BMW connecting cable are both new; so, I'm thinking that this is just a symptom of the cold and nothing more. However, I thought I would check-in and ask here in case anyone else has experienced anything like this.

Seems unlikely that the cold would be a problem,

Andrew*Debbie 11-17-2011 11:32 PM

Don't let your iPod freeze or bake.

From Apple's Tech Specs:
Quote:

Environmental requirements

Operating temperature: 32 to 95 F
(0 to 35 C)
Nonoperating temperature: -4 to 113 F
(-20 to 45 C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet
(3000 m)

Leslierc 11-18-2011 09:25 AM

It was definitely temperature related...the problem went away and hasn't reoccured since the 135i began occupying the Smart's position in the garage.

richstacy 11-23-2011 11:24 AM

moved post