Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Another Stereo Problem (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579896)

2001X5Guy 11-07-2011 11:22 AM

Another Stereo Problem

While driving, my car stereo will go out. When this happens...

-The music volume will not respond, you cannot turn it up, down, or off.

-Some times the stereo display will turn off some times not.

-The Button next to my DSC button, The one that looks like a down hill cruse control? turns on and won't turn off.

-The message center in the cluster will not respond, it stops telling me to check my brake linings, it acts like every thing is fine.

-Some times when I turn on my head lights every thing will work again, some times not.

-Related or not, My stock alarm system is starting to act stupid. It will go off for no reason at all.

-Turn signals won't work when it happens.

bigwilly40 12-01-2011 07:37 PM

Sounds like could be a battery issue..

2001X5Guy 12-01-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwilly40 (Post 6474537)
Sounds like could be a battery issue..

Actually I found out what it was quite a while ago.
I waited until the problem was so bad it would happen immediately when turning on the vehicle.
Then I did the wiggle test on every connector and wire loom starting in the engine compartment working my way to the back.
I found a connector in the rear of the vehicle that was making all the trouble.
I disconnected it, sprayed Wd40 into the connector, and reconnected it. Almost a month later and the problem has not returned.
:bigpimp:

butundo 12-23-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2001X5Guy (Post 6474557)
Actually I found out what it was quite a while ago.
I waited until the problem was so bad it would happen immediately when turning on the vehicle.
Then I did the wiggle test on every connector and wire loom starting in the engine compartment working my way to the back.
I found a connector in the rear of the vehicle that was making all the trouble.
I disconnected it, sprayed Wd40 into the connector, and reconnected it. Almost a month later and the problem has not returned.
:bigpimp:

I have the same issues, as well as some others. What / where is the connector that was giving you the trouble? Mine seem to start after replacing the battery. Also, If I disconnected the battery overnight, it would usually fix the issue, but not any more

2001X5Guy 12-23-2012 11:00 PM

It's been a long time since I had that car, but it was in the left side of the trunk behind the removable trim piece...

There was a vertical connector in there...
With the vehicle running and radio on wiggle the connectors down there. And you should be lucky enough to repeat the symptom

Remove the connector and clean with wd40 and reinstall

2001X5Guy 12-23-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2001X5Guy (Post 7268246)
It's been a long time since I had that car, but it was in the left side of the trunk behind the removable trim piece...

There was a vertical connector in there...
With the vehicle running and radio on wiggle the connectors down there. And you should be lucky enough to repeat the symptom

Remove the connector and clean with wd40 and reinstall

Like I said, it's been awhile and it's 1am here, but what I remember it was on the left side, I think it went t the stereo amplifier or another box in that area

butundo 12-25-2012 10:23 PM

Thank you, I will try it tomorrow. I believe that is where the 6 disk changer is in my vehicle.

OzzyX5 01-11-2013 09:00 PM

How did you go with your radio fault?
Have had a similar fault with mine(05 diesel)
found to be the ignition switch, it affects so many different things (SOMETIMES)
and from what I am led to beleive it is a common fault.