Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ok, so what is after Netflix? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581190)

MMME30W 11-13-2011 09:05 AM

Ok, so what is after Netflix?

See thread title.

Like many, we punted Netflix due to the poor movie selection, service split, prices, and the ridiculously inept search engine,

So, then what is the alternative for a service that:

- offers reasonable content at a monthly fee similar to Netflix
- doesn't require additional hardware beyond say $100
- provides a decent selection of content

:dunno:

PropellerHead 11-13-2011 09:31 AM

I haven't used it, but Blockbuster seems anxious to capitalize on Netflix's mistakes. Dish users can get the whole service including streaming and mailed DVD's/BluRay for $10/mo.

chivas 11-13-2011 09:37 AM

Hulu

beewang 11-13-2011 09:41 AM

Back to Netflix...

There is NOTHING for $7.99 out there and would keep the kids happy and on demand on laptop or smartphone...

You want pickup a flick?? goto Redbox for $1.20

brkf 11-13-2011 12:04 PM

We had Hulu Plus (for free for three months). It wasn't worthwhile for free even. Poor selection and tons of ads.

Amazon Prime is okay but the online selection is even worse than Netflix.

As for limited selection you must mean for streaming as nobody can touch Netflix's catalog for real movies (read not common, bland crap churned out by studios).

chivas 11-13-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueguydotcom (Post 6438636)
We had Hulu Plus (for free for three months). It wasn't worthwhile for free even. Poor selection and tons of ads.

Amazon Prime is okay but the online selection is even worse than Netflix.

As for limited selection you must mean for streaming as nobody can touch Netflix's catalog for real movies (read not common, bland crap churned out by studios).

Hulu has gone down that road of ads eh? sad...

E36 Phantom 11-13-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chivas (Post 6438729)
Hulu has gone down that road of ads eh? sad...

Very much so, ads abound and they're long and intrusive. My wife used it for some of her shows, I found it too frustrating to bother with. I looked at other options when Netflix was messing around and came to the conclusion nothing else was going to be better. Netflix + our DVR gives us more programs than we have time to watch.

alee 11-13-2011 03:52 PM

Depending on how many movies a month you watch, Vudu is a strong streaming option, pay per use. For HD or HDX resolution movies you're looking at $4.99 to $5.99 and they get some fairly recent releases. They're weak on the older releases. If you have a PS3, you can download the Vudu app and go. They used to give you a credit to watch a movie for free by signing up.... not sure if that's still the case.

Griffoun 11-14-2011 06:39 AM

Netflix has reverted the plan to split-up, so you can stay with Netflix if that's your concern.

After using Blockbuster+ Dish for 3 months, I think it's a no-brainer combo. And you have access to dishonline.com and watch content you've already subscribed to over there.

hockeynut 11-14-2011 06:47 AM

I am sticking with Netflix for streaming, redbox for physical discs. Looked at amazon, hulu, etc and I think this is the best mix for me.

Spiderm0n 11-14-2011 06:47 AM

Netflix

Dave 330i 11-14-2011 07:16 AM

When WalMart decides to get into the action, all the others will cease to exist. :eek:

Griffoun 11-14-2011 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 330i (Post 6439942)
When WalMart decides to get into the action, all the others will cease to exist. :eek:

See, you didn't even realize Walmart's already doing it.

It will not gain traction, and it will fail like it's done with disc rental in their stores.

What's your obsession with Walmart anyway?

Melissa 11-14-2011 07:56 AM

Walmarts have redbox in the entry.

Dave 330i 11-14-2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffoun (Post 6440005)
See, you didn't even realize Walmart's already doing it.

It will not gain traction, and it will fail like it's done with disc rental in their stores.

What's your obsession with Walmart anyway?

I own WMT :rofl:

London Talking 11-14-2011 08:34 AM

Bit Torrent.

:eeps:

geebeemer 11-14-2011 10:22 AM

I've been considering dropping AT&T uVerse TV - while keeping the internet connection. It's becoming increasingly difficult to pay the $85 a month for 500 channels I never watch.

The option of switching to netflix or blockbuster and watching DTV stations for 10% of the cost is one that's hard to ignore.

chivas 11-14-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by London Talking (Post 6440112)
Bit Torrent.

:eeps:

it's damn near impossible for any successful movie or any movie for that matter to avoid being put on a torrent. RIAA and others are fighting piracy but in the end, they're wasting their money and time. I personally like the whole movie theater experience. Something about having a hole in the bottom of the popcorn bucket sitting next to your date has it's... "thrilling" moments. :D

Melissa 11-14-2011 10:48 AM

When we transferred last summer, we decided we wouldn't get satellite or dish for three months and then re-evaluate. It was a no-brainer for us. We still don't miss them. We are saving well over $100 a month.

We pull in five PBS stations so the kids have a few good shows they can watch. I am much more productive in the evenings since I'm not wasting away on the couch watching stupid housewives of (insert location).

We do have hulu plus and we now get Netflix discs in the mail instead of streaming and discs. Between my renewed interest in reading and writing and my husband's two masters classes he studies for at night, we are considering ditching hulu, too, and using Netflix and/or redbox exclusively.

carve 11-14-2011 01:04 PM

What Melissa said. Cable/satellite is a necessity when you have it, but when it's gone you don't really miss it. It's just hundreds of channels of garbage and, not only do you have to pay for all of it, but you have to watch commercials, too!

I have an antenna for over-the-air networks. It gets used maybe 2 hours a month. Netflix provides most of the rest of my content. Between discs and streaming they have whatever you want. The only real weakness is timliness, which is where Hulu comes in. But, I couldn't stand the commercials any more- even for free, so now I watch The Daily Show, Colbert, and Southpark on their own websites with ad-block, "The Car Show" on Hulu, and everything else on Netflix.

Netflix needs a section though where they notify you when new episodes are added to a TV show in your queue.

If things get worse I'd consider going back to torrents. It used to be the only way to access a wide variety of interesting content in a timely manner, but NetFlix is much better. No more worrying about quality or planning what I want to watch the day before. The convenience is definitely worth the fee.

Ilovemycar 11-14-2011 01:07 PM

+1 to DTV/OTA/ATSC & Netflix (blurays). I don't stream because the convenience of not having to put a disc in the player is not worth all of the video and audio compression I would suffer. (I don't consider walking to the mailbox to be an inconvenience since I do it all the time, anyway.)

I can't remember how long it's been since I paid for cable/sat, but probably the #1 thing I am missing are the cooking shows.

I like sports, but at least I still get Final Four bball, NFL, Olympics, some golf majors/tournaments, World Series, lots of local NBA (when not on lockout). Of course the free stuff has the best quality there is, outside of FIOS possibly being on par (no secondary compression).

Use this tool to find what you can get for free. There probably won't be many usable/desirable channels for you, but if you're hosting a Superbowl party, and even if you already pay for cable, again, the free stuff will look better anyway. I thought the last Winter Games looked amazing, personally.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

I fear it no longer has the (economic) attraction that it used to, but I would consider buying my own DVR (TiVo) if I was paying for TV. Depends on your provider (or how crappy your boxes are), and how much they charge for the cable card. It used to be like $2/month many years ago, but I guess they caught wind and upped the charge maybe by 1000% (just a guess, not quite sure). This of course if only for cable, sat users don't have this option I'm afraid.

I've used Redbox, but I still find Netflix to be much more convenient. Redbox is good for when you need a particular movie on disc, on a whim, *right now*.

hts 11-14-2011 01:10 PM

Missy, you're not watching this season's RHOBH?

OMG--based on the previews shown at the end of this week's episode, you've just *gotta* (thanks TD) see the upcoming intervention the girls are gonna have with Taylor!

:thumbup:

beewang 11-14-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilovemycar (Post 6440584)
I like sports, but at least I still get Final Four bball, NFL, Olympics, some golf majors/tournaments, World Series, lots of local NBA (when not on lockout). ..

No you don't... you "Watch" some sports and you are a band wagon type of guy.

Until you have 4 large Flat Screens lined up side by side... and watch CFB and NFL from 9:00AM to 11:00 PM... you don't "Like" sports dude:p

carve 11-14-2011 02:27 PM

Are you being sarcastic, or are you seriously bragging about how much time you spend sitting on @$$ in front of the TV?

Someone will record the score and even the highlights for your reference after the game. 90% of what you miss will be commercials and people standing around doing nothing. Go outside...maybe toss the football around :P

MMME30W 11-14-2011 03:30 PM

Much appreciate the thoughtful replies.

We have directTV now herein Atlanta, and like it much better than Brighthouse in Orlando.

Had a talk with The Boss this afternoon, we may restart Netflix again and try the video on disk service.