Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   What is "High Guiding" describing in the navigation (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581528)

bmguy 11-14-2011 11:58 PM

What is "High Guiding" describing in the navigation

I searched the WEB and this forum, but nothing specifically mentioned to describe what it really is that BMW is referring to with the words "High Guiding" and "lane guiding" in their navigation description; (I understand the lane guiding BTW, just need help with High Guiding) (i.e. how exactly does this feature work?)

BMW's Website Reads:
"Reach your destination quicker with the Professional navigation system. The 10.2-inch, high-resolution display provides detailed information for a more comprehensive overview of where you are heading.
The 3D map display allows you to see photo-realistic images of locations to provide orientation points on your journey. High Guiding and Lane Guiding are functions designed to make navigation in the city or on unclear road layouts a lot easier. The cockpit or Head-Up Display shows the exact street layout and the appropriate lane.

Destinations can be called up using the Voice Control function either from the address book or – by saying the place, street and number in one sentence."

Thanks in advance;

jgscott987 11-15-2011 05:02 AM

Sounds like they are talking about the 3D perspective nav view.

jondoc72 11-15-2011 05:27 AM

lane guiding shows an arrow on the lane you have to be to make the next turn/exit

SuperTerp 11-15-2011 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jondoc72 (Post 6441885)
lane guiding shows an arrow on the lane you have to be to make the next turn/exit

Thats if it knows the street your on or if its not trying to take you to China, before getting you to the newly opened local McDonalds.

jondoc72 11-15-2011 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTerp (Post 6441888)
Thats if it knows the street your on or if its not trying to take you to China, before getting you to the newly opened local McDonalds.

LOL
my nav acts funny, sometimes wants to change the return travel guidance:dunno:

jgscott987 11-15-2011 06:32 AM

It looks like a feature where a picture of an intersection is displayed on the Heads-Up display in a sort of augmented reality. Here's a link and a picture:

http://www.bmw.com.my/com/en/newvehi...p_display.html

http://www.bmw.com.my/_common/shared...y_teaser_1.jpg

quackbury 11-15-2011 07:06 AM

High Guiding can be summed up thus: If you think the BMW Nav system is acceptable, you must be high.

innerloop 11-15-2011 08:55 AM

Maybe its a typo and they meant Highway guiding? Sounds like the feature that displays, for a freeway exit, which lanes are valid for exit. It is quite helpful when going through unfamiliar cities, if that's what it means. I can't think of anything else that would be "High guiding".

Sophisto 11-15-2011 12:05 PM

High error?
High cost?
High resolution?
High, not low guiding, so not getting in nasty naberhoods?
No tunneling?
Hhmm
High guiding as being in the map?

No idea really, most of the extra features do not work very well.
Not that you miss them, they are all meant as some; hoch gepreistes spielerei.

bmguy 11-15-2011 01:09 PM

Thanks Guys

I was afraid that there was no real answer - I'm not surpirsed however as a google search was dry also; with the exception on that same text from BMW shows up in like 200 + websites.. amazing that they didnt bother to actualy describe what the hell this is! I hope there is no too many more features like this

My guess would have been "high speed" or speed limit guidance; but thats only in Europe currently; anyways; If I get really bored; I'll BMW and ask them - its now something I really want to have an answer for (because I cant have it!)

tk

bmguy 11-24-2011 10:41 AM

Wel lI got a response from BMW on this topic!

Here is there response;

"This is just a poor English translation.
• “high guiding” means the directional arrows that are typical of nav systems. (i.e. read it as a “high-level guidance”)
• “lane guiding” refers to our “ramp view”, which shows you exactly which lane to get into on an off ramp. (i.e. read it as a “detailed lane-level guidance”). This feature is particularly useful on ramps around 400/407, Airports, etc.

I’ll have our web colleagues look into alternate ways to communicate these features more clearly. Thanks for bringing it to our attention."

SouthHams 08-17-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmguy (Post 6460429)
Wel lI got a response from BMW on this topic!

Here is there response;

"This is just a poor English translation.
• “high guiding” means the directional arrows that are typical of nav systems. (i.e. read it as a “high-level guidance”)
• “lane guiding” refers to our “ramp view”, which shows you exactly which lane to get into on an off ramp. (i.e. read it as a “detailed lane-level guidance”). This feature is particularly useful on ramps around 400/407, Airports, etc.

I’ll have our web colleagues look into alternate ways to communicate these features more clearly. Thanks for bringing it to our attention."

Perhaps a more illuminating quote? Sounds a little more useful than the description above. Assuming it works of course and that the maps are better.

"High Guiding and 3D City Models.

For the purposes of actual route guidance, the familiar guiding function using arrows in the split screen has now been supplemented by a High Guiding variant, which clearly flashes up detailed navigation information in the multifunctional instrument cluster display, the central information display as well as the Head-Up Display.

High Guiding is automatically activated when the vehicle comes within a certain range of the next navigation instruction: from a distance of 300 metres outside built-up areas and 150 metres in built-up areas, the reduced arrow display switches to a detailed bird’s-eye perspective of the surrounding area.

The driver furthermore receives precise directions for changing lane at the right time. As the driver draws closer to the event, the display gradually shifts from the bird’s-eye map view to an overhead view of the traffic situation for optimum orientation and guidance. A dynamic display of the vehicle’s present position calculated in real time serves as an aid that allows drivers to closely track their progress throughout the turn-off phase.

The new navigation view option “3D City Models” features a realistic depiction of surrounding streets and buildings to help drivers get their bearings, provided such a visualisation of the city in question is stored in the vehicle’s database."

kc1953 08-17-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgscott987 (Post 6441957)
It looks like a feature where a picture of an intersection is displayed on the Heads-Up display in a sort of augmented reality. Here's a link and a picture:

http://www.bmw.com.my/com/en/newvehi...p_display.html

http://www.bmw.com.my/_common/shared...y_teaser_1.jpg

The same information shows up on the split screen of navigation if for split screen content you check the "arrows" box.