Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 M3 (1995-1999) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Chip recommendations? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583791)

Joecarmona//M3 11-26-2011 12:58 PM

Chip recommendations?

Any input on installing a performance chip in my stock 95 E36 M3? Is this a do it urself mod, will it make a productive difference in performance, any special brand/site anyone has used that can be recommended ?

Pinecone 11-27-2011 03:49 AM

In general the Conforti chips seem to be best. A chip on a 95 does do nice things, but even better with some other mods. And the chip has to match the mods.

rrsperry 11-27-2011 04:48 AM

Save your pennies. Get the 3.5" HFM, intake, and chip at the same time.

I bought the Conforti intake, HFM and chip from Turner Motorsports (Conforti chip). Ended up with 230 rwhp, 228 tq on a DynaPac. Cost me about $1100...

Anyway, it was faster, the rev limit was raised, top speed removed. But it wasn't OMG faster... It was just better.

Then you add the supercharger or turbo, NOW it's OMG faster....lol

AlpineWhiteM3 11-29-2011 06:01 AM

I installed just the comforti stage 1 chip, it made a little difference, the rev limiter is higher, also the 155 top end speed limiter is also removed... It took about an hour to put the chip in. The hardest part was slipping the internal boards of the ecu...u need a few thin flat head screw drivers.

rrsperry 11-29-2011 07:18 AM

1.) the top speed was limited to 137 mph. The car will do somewhere in the 150's depending on gearing and tire size, with the limiter removed.

For a 95 the really big gains are when you install the 3.5" HFM and remove the exhaust bottle neck before the cats. Either use the OBD2 mid section, or a track pipe, or headers and matching midpipe. (but the track pipe isn't legal and the car won't pass emissions.) Add cams, injectors and a tune you can rock about 240-250 rwhp... All that for about $4K. Or you can install a stage 1 supercharger and make 290's for the same $. Just saying...

AlpineWhiteM3 12-04-2011 08:32 PM

I had my car at 145 MPH before I put the chip in and 150 after I popped in the chip... go figure. BTW, Its a Euro M3.

rrsperry 12-05-2011 04:05 AM

Again... If you weren't using GPS, but going by the speedo, you are mistaken. BMW vehicle speed as measured by the OBC, and ECU is very accurate where the speedo isn't. The faster you go the more optimistic the speedo is. To verify this, reset the OBC speed function or use GPS, and compare it to the speedo.

At 100+ I've seen some cars differ by 10 mph.

JOHNHOF 12-22-2011 08:11 PM

Conforti and Dinan both good choices

I have had a Conforti chip and at that time I had only a scorpion cat. Back on the car. Now I have a Dinan chip in this car. Both chips work without any problems. The first thing you need is to think about how you will use the car the most and work from there. I drive my M3 primarily at high performance driver schools with about 200 miles a year being driven on public streets. The Dinan setup I have works well for both applications. But since I drive the car more on the track the suspension and brakes setup I decided on does not work very good on the street. As others have said here you need to do more than just replace or flash the chip to get any real gains so you need to decide what you want from the car and work from there.
I bought the following Dinan items together eight years ago and installed them at the same time
and this setup has worked very well for how I use my 95 M3:
Stage II chip
MAF
Big bore throttle body
High pressure fuel regulator
Exhaust

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your M3
John