Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Active ventilated seat package (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584352)

12VMan 11-29-2011 05:08 AM

Active ventilated seat package

What is the logic with only offering brown or black leather with this option? To me, it is a must have option b/c we live in a warm climate which means black leather is not a good choice. The brown is downright ugly to us. Why would they limit the choices to just those 2 colors?

As silly as it may seem, this is probably going to drive my wife straight to the new ML350. She drove both and only slightly preferred the X5. :thumbdwn:

cravin 11-29-2011 05:15 AM

As much as I love the option, it's not really all that popular. I'm sure it just has to do with BMW not wanting to carry all colors of perforated leather seats for an option that may or may not sell in the other colors like oyster and cinnamon.

12VMan 11-29-2011 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cravin (Post 6467859)
As much as I love the option, it's not really all that popular. I'm sure it just has to do with BMW not wanting to carry all colors of perforated leather seats for an option that may or may not sell in the other colors like oyster and cinnamon.

I understand not offering every color option (although they do with other models), but why black and brown? I don't think I've ever seen a brown interior X5 on the road. Have they ever offered other colors? It seems really odd that a lighter color (esp Oyster :D) is not offered since the option is geared for warm weather customers where light interiors make more sense.

cravin 11-29-2011 05:24 AM

The black is a no brainer since it's the most common color. As to the brown, you've got me. Maybe it has to do with dirt and the perforated seats not being able to be cleaned as often without clogging the holes? Don't know.

cravin 11-29-2011 05:26 AM

Check that. I just looked at the site and the two colors are black and sand beige. So you do have a lighter color than brown

12VMan 11-29-2011 05:33 AM

It's a fancy name for light brown.

RPsX5d 11-29-2011 09:20 PM

We really wanted to get that option . . . but we were not willing to give up on the oyester, so gave up on the ventilated seat.

patrnflyr 12-01-2011 06:05 PM

You haven't given up anything. It's the most worthless option that's available for the car. Barely noticeable at its best. Do a search and you'll find multiple threads on how poor it really is. When I bought it, I expected to be perform like my Escalade's. Sorry about breaking the news...

12VMan 12-01-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrnflyr (Post 6474328)
You haven't given up anything. It's the most worthless option that's available for the car. Barely noticeable at its best. Do a search and you'll find multiple threads on how poor it really is. When I bought it, I expected to be perform like my Escalade's. Sorry about breaking the news...

I actually test drove several F10s this summer with and without the ventilated seats. To me, the difference was night and day, but I am a hot-natured person. My back sweat like crazy without the ventilated seats and did not sweat at all with them even though I could not feel the air coming through the seat.

cravin 12-01-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12VMan (Post 6474353)
I actually test drove several F10s this summer with and without the ventilated seats. To me, the difference was night and day, but I am a hot-natured person. My back sweat like crazy without the ventilated seats and did not sweat at all with them even though I could not feel the air coming through the seat.

Yep, it's a night and day difference. Showing up at a meeting with no moisture on your lower back is worth every single penny.

Brian425 12-01-2011 07:19 PM

I have the active ventilated seat and I like them. The ventilation is barely noticeable; but, my back never sweats and I feel cooler quicker when getting into a hot vehicle. I am still undecided on the active seat part. It does seem to help on long drives, 600+ miles; but, it is just a little uncomfortable. The best way I've heard it described was "it's like sitting on a snake in a bag."

I would recommend the active ventilated seats.

cravin 12-02-2011 05:41 AM

Whenever I've had someone that has AC'd seats from an American car like a Lincoln tells me that they don't feel anything in the BMW. Lo and behold, when we get to our meeting though, both of our backs are dry. It works, and works well. It's just not overbearing like the AC in the other vehicles. It runs nearly silent, and it doesn't feel like you have a blower fan at your back.

I definitely prefer this as on long drives, there are times that I just want the cabin to be as quiet as possible so that I can relax. The idea of having something loud blowing air at me isn't something that I'd be overly interested in.

o_steve 12-03-2011 08:24 AM

I really, really wish they would include the ventilated option with Nappa (like the 5 series). I chose the softer leather but am convinced the seat heaters are on at all times as I'm always hot in this car!!!