Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Getting Ready to Order should I get Apps? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584833)

jashearer 11-30-2011 09:39 PM

Getting Ready to Order should I get Apps?

I don't currently own an iPhone but I do have an iPad2, will BMW apps get me anything worth the $300 option price.

I have Android phones and presumably will in the future.

I've searched but lots of posts have BMW & Apps in them :)

Jay

hyde 11-30-2011 10:43 PM

It is $250 and if you don't have an iPhone it is useless. Do you think you will be plugging your iPad, if you do, where do you plan on keeping it? Plus your iPad would have to be 3G.
I made a mistake by getting BMW Apps. If you have $250 to gamble with or if you think it will be a selling point when it is time (BMW's future support of apps is questionable) then get it. Otherwise skip it.

corth 11-30-2011 11:50 PM

My wife and I both have iPhones and we never use the apps. Pass.

nyranger74 12-01-2011 03:59 AM

If you don't have an iPhone and never plan on getting one, then no. You can use the iPad if you really want to, but I think it would be very awkward. You could tether it to get more functionality. I think the next generation idrive will have Android functionality, but you will be SOL!

jashearer 12-01-2011 07:32 AM

Thanks for the great feedback everyone.

My ipad is not 3g but I use my Droid as a hotspot so my wife can use it on long trips. The plan was to just use a long dongle to connect it, so I didn't envision putting somewhere to be any akward then storing currently.

I think I'll skip, if I want to listen to pandora I understand the X5 should have an aux in anyway, and I'll just deal with not being able to control it through iDrive, not a deal killer.

Just didn't want to pass on a relatively cheap option and regret it later. Also don't want to throw away $300 for something I'll never use, so I think I'll skip it.

Thanks!
Jay

scar 12-01-2011 10:49 AM

I got APPS on the theory there will be app upgrades down the line, and who knows. I have I phone and APPS is more or less useless, however, my so is a dj and I can listen to her show when I am out of town with web radio feature. Fwiw

Emission 12-01-2011 12:15 PM

I have an iPhone, and so does my wife, so I ordered the Apps. I like it, and it only runs me about $4/month if you figure out its cost in my lease.

Kinda cool that I can look on my iPhone right now and tell that I have 14.4 gallons left in the tank, 468 miles on the odometer and a range of 348 miles (it takes a reading when it was last unplugged - last night at 6:47 PM in my case).

- Mike