Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   97 Z3 2.8 113k = Dirty Fingernails! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585171)

Hornedfrog1969 12-02-2011 02:25 PM

97 Z3 2.8 113k = Dirty Fingernails!

1 Attachment(s)
97 Blue Z3 2.8 w/113k

I've had the car for a couple of months now and absolutely love driving it. However, it has required quite a bit of TLC to make it the car that it deserves to be. Here are some of the issues (opportunities) I have solved, mostly by making inquires to this site:

Top leaks at A-frame
Flooding top stowage compartment and trunk
Leaking tail lights
Secondary air pump
Secondary air pump check valve
intermittent fuel gauge
unreadable clock display
no stereo display
Door locks and alarm not working (three chirps with FOB actuation)

A few other non-Z3 specifics as well. The projects I have to look forward to, with your help:

clunky transmission
Suspension overhaul
Rocking passenger seats
Sagging glove compartment
Missing jack parts

If you have any questions about what I have already repaired, shoot me a PM. If you have suggestions for what I haven't, do the same.

I also managed to convert my armrest w/cassette tape holders into a storage compartment. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture of it... I look forward to hearing from you.

Giznaz 12-02-2011 03:05 PM

OK, now, PIX OF THE CAR!!!

Hornedfrog1969 12-02-2011 07:16 PM

I suppose I'll need to take some. I have a bunch of pictures of some of my projects but none of the car itself.

mr. slate 12-03-2011 05:49 AM

The seats and the glove box are relatively simple. They will take a bit of time. There are a number of postings on the forum providing directions. You might also find this link helpful: http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/essenti...xit/index.html. I completed both of these upgrades and I'm glad I did. Glove box is tight now and my seats down move at all when I brake. Good luck and have fun.

T

IgotBMW 12-03-2011 04:50 PM

Do you have aftermarket radio? The chirp 3 can be solved easily.

Hornedfrog1969 12-03-2011 08:36 PM

Mr Slate,
Thanks for the link. I'll be knocking these out soon... I think my wife wants me to hang the Christmas lights before I even look at the Z3 again though.

Hornedfrog1969 12-03-2011 08:41 PM

IgotBMW,

I cracked the nut on the alarm and locks. It was the pressure switch under the hood. I took apart the switch and fixed the internal contact points. I haven't had any problems since. Thanks for the help. Take care.

BK85 12-04-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hornedfrog1969 (Post 6478522)
IgotBMW,

I cracked the nut on the alarm and locks. It was the pressure switch under the hood. I took apart the switch and fixed the internal contact points. I haven't had any problems since. Thanks for the help. Take care.

Do you think that could have anything to do with the locks changing, ie. sometimes the trunk lock will not activate all locks and the passenger door lock will now not lock all locks?

Oh by the way my wife who drives our Z3 most of the time would have a handle of "Hornedfrog1976" Go Frogs!

BK85

Hornedfrog1969 12-04-2011 08:59 PM

BK85,
Since I repaired the hood switch, I haven't had any issues. The FOB locks all the doors and the trunk and each I believe the same goes for when I lock a door or the trunk. Everything locks or unlocks.

Yeah, Go Frogs all the way to the Poinsettia Bowl... We got screwed. Oh well, perhaps that's what we deserve for loosing to SMU. We should be pretty good next year.

Hornedfrog1969 10-07-2012 10:47 AM

Update

Ok, so since the last post, I have:

- fixed the seats, much thanks to Giznaz
- fixed the sagging glove box
- got rid of the smell from the AC
- replace antena grommet
- installed (homemade) clutch stop (cheap with huge results)
- repaired vapor barrier leak in the doors
- Replace window sliders in door

I still need to get to the suspension and transmission. $$$$$$$

CTHuskyinMA 10-08-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hornedfrog1969 (Post 6476029)
I also managed to convert my armrest w/cassette tape holders into a storage compartment. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture of it... I look forward to hearing from you.

That looks great! How did you do it? Just remove the cassette holder insert and line it with black felt material? Looks very professional. On my short list of things to do.

tohbi 10-08-2012 08:12 AM

interestingly, i have the same car: same year, same mileage, atlanta blue. the radio is a sometime thing i haven't be able to figure out. sometimes works, sometimes not. display usually too dim to see.

any suggestions.

Hornedfrog1969 10-08-2012 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
CTHuskyinMA,

Yes, this was a very easy project and kind of fun. You don't even get your hands dirty. Just pull the box out of the center console, pop out the cassette insert, measure the outer dimensions and make a box out of balsa wood and line it with felt paper. About $4 worth of materials and now I have a place for my garage door opener and sunglasses. Since, I don't have cassette tapes anymore, I made this sweet little IPod adaptor. Thousands of songs at my fingertips with no dangling wires!

tohbi,

I found the fix for the dim radio display in a forum. A little bit a soldering and it works like new. If you don't want to solder, perhaps you could ship it and I could fix it for you. It only takes a few minutes once you have the radio out. Here is the link:http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=251722