Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   lots of promise - fail to deliver (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585808)

enjoybmw4life 12-05-2011 03:32 PM

lots of promise - fail to deliver

When purhasing BMW car with Iphone apps option, we were promised by BMW and the dealers about the exciting new way to improve work productivity and entertainment using their car platform. So far, all I see is a few dismal apps.... is it worth paying $250 for this ?

I say we raise our voice to have BMW to put more engineering effort to get more features into their Iphone apps that they sell to consumers.

:spank:

BobRBob 12-05-2011 03:43 PM

Interesting. My Sales guy advised me against buying it. Said it wasn't worth the money. Not yet at least.

mkossler 12-05-2011 03:47 PM

I've been sincerely hoping that BMW will add Apps and more phone support into the iDrive integration. I would be very disappointed if this was as good as it got.

Me530 12-05-2011 03:54 PM

I don't think its worth the cost.

ozarkgolfer 12-05-2011 04:08 PM

My sales guy said it would be a good thing to have for the near future as BMW are supposed to be supporting it. As it was a lot car at a heavy discount, it was just part of the package. I am having trouble with the cradle charging my iPhone 4 so back to the dealer one day this week to find out the problem. I;ll ask him when I see him - he's a pretty knowledgable straight up guy.

chuck92116 12-05-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoybmw4life (Post 6481799)
When purhasing BMW car with Iphone apps option, we were promised by BMW and the dealers about the exciting new way to improve work productivity and entertainment using their car platform. So far, all I see is a few dismal apps.... is it worth paying $250 for this ?

I say we raise our voice to have BMW to put more engineering effort to get more features into their Iphone apps that they sell to consumers.

:spank:

Your sig shows you have a 2008 535. BMW apps is for 2011. :eeps:

I am sure more apps are in the works. I think it is worth it just for Pandora alone. :thumbup:

Come on people, some of you spent more on the frickin iPhone cradle. :rofl:

mkossler 12-05-2011 05:11 PM

You're right, but I want Spotify, dammit! :) Not to mention, Office integration with my Android / iPhone / BB that works for all of them. For me, it's not the cost factor, it's the usability.

chuck92116 12-05-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkossler (Post 6481998)
You're right, but I want Spotify, dammit! :) Not to mention, Office integration with my Android / iPhone / BB that works for all of them. For me, it's not the cost factor, it's the usability.

I am suffering from music overload.

iPod/iPhone/iTunes

Sirius

Pandora

and now Spotify and MOG,

I have not even looked at Spotify or MOG other than the cost is the same as Sirius so why bother? :dunno: They seem to be much like Pandora (music jukeboxes).

Another issue is that Spotify forces you to log in via Facebook. I hate facebook and refuse to use it.

mkossler 12-05-2011 05:45 PM

Point well taken. I think it is a natural phenomenon as the music industry grapples with digital delivery and its implications.

Regarding your question -

Because Sirius' sound quality is execrable. I'd rather listen to AM radio. With Web Radio you can get all the talk radio you can handle, which to me is the sole Sirius value proposition.

Spotify differs from Pandora and MOG in two basic ways: They have the most music (Spotify has the most period), and they let me listen to whatever I want, not just a station. I like and use Pandora as well, but it's a far cry from Spotify - except for iDrive integration :). I refuse to resort to BT and trying to use the smartphone interface.

MOG looks pretty good, but Spotify is the sweet spot for features I want. I have a huge music collection (well 270 Gigs, anyway), but I don't want to have to tote it around - and it's a drop in the bucket compared to the selection on Spotify or MOG. I don't have to buy the songs, I don't have to download the songs. I just load a playlist and play them.