Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   e70 rear light cluster question (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586981)

admiralg 12-11-2011 09:12 AM

e70 rear light cluster question

Hello forum,
I've just purchased a November 2007 built E70 X5 SE 3.0d Auto (Uk RHD) . Happy with the car in general but have a niggle about the rear light tailgate 'section' of the rear light cluster. I can see and operate the rear fog in the lower section of the tailgate part of the cluster but the upper section doesn't light up at all unlike other e70's of the same age I've seen? Are there 'two' types of rear light cluster for the e70? I've got the LED and light pipes on the body section of the rear lights but the tailgate section doesn't light up at all?

Is this correct, can it be corrected / upgraded ? If so how?

Look forward to some comments as I'm currently having a back and forth with the supplying BMW dealer who told me there is only one rear light cluster LED fit...so why aren't mine working??

Cheers
Dave:(

AzNMpower32 12-11-2011 12:12 PM

The LED lines directly above the rear foglight should light up as the DRL and the taillights, "continuing" from the outer portion of the taillights. If not, the LEDs are broken and unfortunately you'll have to buy a new inner-segment of the taillight.

The_Bruce 09-18-2012 04:16 AM

My rear LED light has stopped working on the passenger side. Looks like the same fault as you had Dave. How did you get on and were you able to change it out without going near a garage?

alphaod 09-22-2012 09:36 PM

If your tailgate section doesn't light up the LED is broken and you need an new assembly. Mine shorted out and replacing it was a 5-10 minute job. I did it in the parking lot of the dealership. There is only one screw and I used a leatherman tool to do it.

The_Bruce 09-24-2012 01:33 PM

Thanks for info alphaod, much appreciated :)

1HOT BMR 10-07-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Bruce (Post 7093560)
Thanks for info alphaod, much appreciated :)

Did you replace the LED strip? Mine is flickering and I'd like to try fixing myself if it's easy and inexpensive. How much was the LED strip? Where is the one screw you removed?

The_Bruce 10-16-2012 11:38 AM

I ended up replacing the whole rear light unit. Unless you have a loose connection at the plug then you will have to replace the unit as they are not user friendly.

alphaod 10-17-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR (Post 7118736)
Did you replace the LED strip? Mine is flickering and I'd like to try fixing myself if it's easy and inexpensive. How much was the LED strip? Where is the one screw you removed?

The whole assembly is one piece. Also LED strip doesn't light have any LEDs in it per se, the LEDs are mounted on the circuit board that hold the brake force bulb.

As for removal, you would pop open the cover that holds the trunk illumination light and you'll see a hex bolt; unscrew that and it will let you pull off the tailight assembly. Be warned though, mine was glued on, so I have to pull with a lot of force. The replace assembly had a non-glued on a rubber/foam gasket.

And for price, the part was $150 from the dealership. You may be able to get it cheaper elsewhere.

ag1979 07-21-2013 06:11 PM

My 2009 E70 (pre LCI) got the same issue.
The LED-strip of the right rear cluster is flickering.. well actually it stays on a bit..
then off... on again ..off... no pattern, just random.. but not direct flickering.

Except for when unlocking the car, and the welcom lights come on, it seems to stay on.
However, when engine is running, its randomly on and off.
I am planning on upgrading to the LCI-clusters, but in fear of spening my allowance on that, and end up with the same on/off problem. Could it be the wire harness ?
Any toughts ? Safe to hope for the cluster is fried and just buy new ones, or take it to the stealership for new wiring :banghead:

ag1979 07-22-2013 12:01 PM

Anyone ?

blue dragon 07-22-2013 12:18 PM

replace with LCI tail lights, problem solved. It will look nicer too :D

ag1979 07-22-2013 03:38 PM

Blue dragon.
Tnx.
As long as it is the tail lights, and not the wiring harness that is faulty, I will gladly replace the old clusters with the LCI ones :)