Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Is the Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go a must? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587850)

ggo16 12-15-2011 07:09 AM

Is the Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go a must?

Hello! I live in Toronto, Canada, and it takes me 90 minutes everyday to commute. The traffic is usually heavy, and highways are quite often parking lots during rush hours.

I am going to buy a 2012 535i xDrive Sedan, and the Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go is listed as $1,900. Please let me know if it's worth it? I am also going to order the Tech Package, considering that I tend to get tired with bumper to bumper driving condition.

I really appreciate your suggestions. Thank you in advance!

yogi799 12-15-2011 07:40 AM

In stop and go traffic, that option would be AWESOME (and probably very safe, much safer than at 130kmh)!!! Go for it 100%! I can only imagine how awesome it would be if the car essentially drove itself when you're in bumper to bumper mess on the 400-series.... It will probably be the best money you will ever spend.

nesterk 12-15-2011 08:06 AM

1+
I haven't ordered it (it was 2.5K for the year 2011), but I think I am slightly missing it.
Not that much (I don't drive in traffic), but sometimes it would be useful

Sophisto 12-15-2011 08:10 AM

A friend drives a F01 with it.
In lane chancing circumstances it is not very good.
(IE when cars before him change lanes)
On steady and right queus he likes it.

ggo16 12-15-2011 08:16 AM

Thank you for all your responses!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophisto (Post 6502665)
A friend drives a F01 with it.
In lane chancing circumstances it is not very good.
(IE when cars before him change lanes)
On steady and right queus he likes it.

I read from somewhere saying that the radar monitors cars in the adjacent lanes as well. Could you give us more details? Do you mean that the car won't brake effectively when another car merges into the lane? Thanks!

Sophisto 12-15-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggo16 (Post 6502683)
Thank you for all your responses!

I read from somewhere saying that the radar monitors cars in the adjacent lanes as well. Could you give us more details? Do you mean that the car won't brake effectively when another car merges into the lane? Thanks!

Yes and while his car leaves a big distance, that is happening in some places all the time.

Emilner 12-15-2011 08:45 AM

I had it in my S550 and I loved it. When a car would jump in your lane it usually did overeact a little- hitting the brakes to get the correct distance back. Other than that it was a great feature- I just couldn't justify another $2500...

TJPark01 12-15-2011 08:59 AM

No, it's not a must. For $2400 the active and ventilated seats are a better use of the money and you will use it more and get more out of it.

nesterk 12-15-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJPark01 (Post 6502802)
No, it's not a must. For $2400 the active and ventilated seats are a better use of the money and you will use it more and get more out of it.

Agree here.
I just assume that everything else is added already, so there are only 3 things left:
1. Active cruise control
2. Night vision camera
3. TV for the rear seats.

Nice to have first two, but could not justify the price..

ggo16 12-15-2011 09:15 AM

In Canada the Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go is $1900. It IS quite expensive compared to the Tech Package. I guess perhaps because it's a relatively new innovation...

I am going to order M Sport Package, which includes the active seats. I will skip the ventilated seats this time. :)

Chuck W. 12-15-2011 09:16 AM

So much depends on what you plan on doing with the car when you build it. Based on what you posted, I would say it is a must.

zimo 12-15-2011 09:28 AM

I have it on my current and I use it everyday for commuting 60 miles. Its an awesome feature and you just set and forget it especially if you have HOV lanes where people can't merge in. :D

yogi799 12-15-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJPark01 (Post 6502802)

It really depends on your commute. I don't have it and don't need it, because my commute is 10 minutes through empty rural/suburban roads. On a freeway, I go according to the situation and what it permits and don't use cruise control to begin with.

But in stop and go mess, I would recommend it 100% (if it actually works, which I presume it does). I have premium 18-way adjustable seats and I don't miss anything else. They're good enough.

jc_///m3 12-15-2011 09:56 AM

Of my packages and options, I use the Active Cruise Control the least. Even at the lowest setting, the threshhold invites other drivers to cut-in. I constantly override the system, then I turn it off.

Given your high traffic commute, I recommend the active blind spot detection. When those motorcycles and Ford Festivas sneak-up into your blind spot at dusk, you'll be glad you have this feature. Another essential for a long commute, as TJ Park recommends, are the comfy active-ventillated seats.
Good luck.
:bigpimp:

jetaged 12-18-2011 09:52 AM

That option and the rear seat entertainment were the only two options I left off my car. I haven't heard great feedback about a "ghost" driving your car, along with the gap between cars being irritating to most. save the $ and go for Comfort Access or ome other goodie instead. I do like the lane departure option

PeterC4 12-18-2011 11:00 AM

I agree with your choice of the M Sport package. I did not order Active Cruise but i did order HUD and Damper Control which is a separate option. The Damper control let's you change the shock absorber settings - that is something that really changes how the car feels and drives. I would consider Active Cruise over HUD if your commuting that much. If you use the 407, I think it's less of an issue.

Gruntion 12-18-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggo16 (Post 6502515)
Hello! I live in Toronto, Canada, and it takes me 90 minutes everyday to commute. The traffic is usually heavy, and highways are quite often parking lots during rush hours.

I am going to buy a 2012 535i xDrive Sedan, and the Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go is listed as $1,900. Please let me know if it's worth it? I am also going to order the Tech Package, considering that I tend to get tired with bumper to bumper driving condition.

Just received my 535 with ACC and I love it! It's a great option and I'd say get it. However, they call it "Stop & Go" but, it's more like Stop, wake up and press Go. It's really made for slow traffic more than stop and go. The system will slow the car to a stop if needed but, the system quickly disengages if you sit without moving for more than 5 seconds. If the system does disengage, you have to press the "Res" button on your steering wheel or, press the gas to resume.

I'm not sure if there is a way to override and make it true "Stop & Go" but, I can see why it's programmed the way it is - the car is so quiet and insulated to outside noise, with ACC you could easily fall asleep in a traffic jam and your BMW will keep driving its self until you get to a wall!:yikes:

Worth every penny nonetheless.....:thumbup:

Stealth.Pilot 12-18-2011 02:15 PM

I'm a member of another forum where people are thinking of ways to reprogram the car to disable the ACC so they can use their radar detectors. A lot of buyers remorse from those who don't drive at 55mph like a grandma in a Buick.

BimmerUKF10 12-20-2011 12:02 AM

I'd honestly say that ACC is probably the best option I have on my car. On really congested roads with people constantly trying to cut in I might prefer to drive the car myself, but on a long run all I have to do is steer. The system make a 6 hour drive infinately safer and the car almost drives itself. It's a little quirky until you get used to it, but I thoroughly recommend it.

richschneid 12-20-2011 04:05 AM

I find the ACC most useful on long intercity drives on the interstate. It makes the experience much less fatuiging. Wouldn't buy a car without it.

Sam-F10 12-21-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggo16 (Post 6502515)

It is a great feature which I pondered a lot and was about to buy it but dropped it because I read somewhere on interference with Radar detectors. I rely on my radar detector but with this feature it may trigger false alarms on radar detector ( is what I read in some posts - could not test it )

planet 12-21-2011 03:27 PM

I don't have the option. There have been in a few situations in which I would have appreciated ACC, but mostly I'm quite pleased to have avoided it. Like the rear TV's and Nightvision, I'm overall glad I didn't spend the cash on these features.

zagzig 12-22-2011 05:10 PM

Letís not forget about the collision warning part of the feature. While we all strive to be attentive drivers, collision warning would pay for itself if it saved you from just one lapse.

oygx 12-23-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zagzig (Post 6518321)
Letís not forget about the collision warning part of the feature. While we all strive to be attentive drivers, collision warning would pay for itself if it saved you from just one lapse.

+1. This would justify the price. For stop & go traffic, it's easy to make the driver fatigue, and this option will make the driving so much more relaxing.

pharding 12-23-2011 01:44 PM

I have it and I like it a lot. I use it twice daily while commuting. I highly recommend it.