Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 M3 (1995-1999) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Suspension suggestions? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589247)

stlbimmer21 12-22-2011 05:51 AM

Suspension suggestions?

I recently just purchased a 1997 e36 and it needs new suspesnion real soon. I was looking into the Eibach Pro-street-s coilovers and also the Tein coilovers. What else is suggested? Maybe a bit cheaper also? Thanks.

Pinecone 12-22-2011 06:35 AM

TC Kline is superb.

Cheapest is the H&R Sport Springs and Bilstein or Koni shocks.

petriej 12-22-2011 12:05 PM

Your postcount is 2: Same post here and regular E36 forum.

Welcome to the fest! :thumbup:

Honestly it depends on what you want to do. If it's just a DD go for H&R springs with Bilstein shocks.

If you want to track AND drive normal streets, get coilovers.

rrsperry 12-24-2011 05:12 AM

I'd never recommend Bilsteins Sports for the E36 M3. WAY too much high speed compression damping. HARSH...

Anyway, you need to determine what you are going to use the car for.

If it's just for the street, you don't need or necessarily want coilovers. TC Kline sells a really great package, so does Dinan.

If you really really must have coilovers, get the Ground Control street/school kit, or AST 4100's. I've heard good things about the Bilstein PSS9's too.

Tien is junk. Really poor quality control where the anti roll bar mount fails and just falls off.

If you are going to start digging into the suspension, take a good hard close look at all the rubber bushings, ball joints, and tie rods. I really hate doing work twice.

CTBimmerGuy 02-22-2012 09:38 PM

If you like a stiff ride, and I do, then you might like the Bilstein's especially if the roads in your area are in pretty good condition. If you want something sporty but softer to handle pot holes and rough spots here and there try Pelican Parts. They have a nice selection of Koni's and OEM replacements. Personally I loved the Bilstein's I had on my 99M3. When I sold that and bought my 98 M3 I didn't want to spend that kind of coin on shocks again so I went with OEM front struts which are nice for every day driving but they aren't Bilstein's and you realize that when you really lean into a turn. But I paid about half of what the Bilstein's would have cost and times are tough. Good luck.

rrsperry 02-23-2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTBimmerGuy (Post 6651643)
If you like a stiff ride, and I do, then you might like the Bilstein's especially if the roads in your area are in pretty good condition. If you want something sporty but softer to handle pot holes and rough spots here and there try Pelican Parts. They have a nice selection of Koni's and OEM replacements. Personally I loved the Bilstein's I had on my 99M3. When I sold that and bought my 98 M3 I didn't want to spend that kind of coin on shocks again so I went with OEM front struts which are nice for every day driving but they aren't Bilstein's and you realize that when you really lean into a turn. But I paid about half of what the Bilstein's would have cost and times are tough. Good luck.

Then you clearly don't understand the function of the different parts of a suspension...
Shocks/struts really have very little to do with the amount of body roll.

Springs control the amount of weight transfer. Springs hold up the car.

Shocks/struts control the rate of weight transfer, and control oscillations. Stiffer transfers the weight quicker, softer is slower. Too soft and they can't control the spring and the car will wallow around. Too stiff, (Bilstein), and the spring can't do it's job of riding over imperfections. (potholes and expansion joints are a good example)

anti roll bars control the body angle/roll, and act as springs.

I'm NOT saying that Billy's are a bad design, the design is better than Koni's old technology. But I am saying that the excution of the Billy for the E36 M3 was not well done. The high speed vavling is just wrong, and makes them very harsh on sharp bumps.

Pinecone 02-23-2012 06:13 AM

One correction, anti roll bars do NOT act as springs. They only control weight transfer side to side and do not help hold the car up.

And one thing about BMWs and suspension tuning, when it comes to adding roll stiffness (anti roll bars) they tune backwards from most cars. To reduce understeer on a BMW, you INCREASE front roll stiffness and DECREASE rear roll stiffness. It has to due with the front suspension camber curve and lack of camber gain under compression.

And it amazing the number of race cars with "old technolody" Koni shocks. :)

Bilsteins shocks do add some spring rate, due to the gar pressure.

rrsperry 02-23-2012 06:29 AM

Not that kind of spring..lol, but a torsion spring. A side to side spring. But you are correct.

Pinecone 02-24-2012 10:06 AM

Just making sure and ensuring clarity of the information, as not everyone understands how they work.

petriej 02-24-2012 10:13 AM

I love you guys.

CTBimmerGuy 02-25-2012 11:01 PM

Thanks for correcting Sperry on the roll bar issue and for pointing out the role the gas in the Bilsteins can play. Also worth noting there are different types of Bilstein set ups. I had the coil over set up and if memory serves the shocks were adjustable so you could tune the ride to a certain extent. The OEM package I'm running now is a stock set up which works great and gives a nice sporty ride but as I say I prefer the stiffer ride of the Bilsteins for the amount of daily driving I did on the roads I was travelling. But I believe most folks would probably prefer the set up I'm running now on my 98 to the set up I had on my 99. It's personal preference.

Pinecone 02-26-2012 03:01 AM

The coil over setup if the PSS9 setup.

The shocks are good, but the springs are too soft. There is a whole market of kits to modify them to take standard springs to allow you to change them.

DinanM3e36 02-26-2012 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bilistein and H&R is what I have on my M3 it rides hard/stiff but will out handle almost anything out there, lowered the car 2 inches also had the front sway bar all bushings ect. upgraded not sure what brand the sway is off hand but it's green ya green IDK looks kinda funny it may be Tein (guessing bc most of their products are green), also consider that your prob gonna have to get the rear fenders rolled out a bit so the wide 17's tuck w/o rubbing as I did,

Jon Shafer 02-26-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinecone (Post 6516876)
...Cheapest is the H&R Sport Springs and Bilstein or Koni shocks.

I chose this option and have been very satisfied with the Konis. Coilovers unnecessary imho (unless your are a hardcore trackster).

DinanM3e36 02-26-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Shafer (Post 6659188)
I chose this option and have been very satisfied with the Konis. Coilovers unnecessary imho (unless your are a hardcore trackster).

I agree, unless your tracking your m3 coil overs are overboard for real life driving

Holmes 02-26-2012 11:42 AM

No one appears to have mentioned FK coilovers (which come with Koni shocks). Are they held in low repute, or are they merely uncommon?

Pinecone 02-27-2012 06:22 AM

My M3 LTW has H&Rs and DA Konis on it, with UUC bars (and yes, I have all the stock parts also).

stlbimmer21 06-08-2012 11:00 AM

So i have put suspension on the back burner lately, due to misfiring and other little stuff that has occured... :( But im back! I really want a set up that lets me go pretty low for a nice stance, but then something that handles well also. I've heard a ton about Ground Control, but the only ones i can find are like $1700....i would like to be around $1200 maybe a bit more. I really appreciate the help.

Pinecone 06-09-2012 04:03 AM

Ground Control is good, but the shocks tend to need to be rebuilt fairly often.

Be careful with lowering a BMW. The front suspension geometry does not allow much lowering before the lower control arms are pointed the wrong way and cause some handling issues.

About 3/4" - 1" is about all that is safe without modified lower control arms.

Flotsam 06-15-2012 08:29 AM

Do you have an M3 or a 328i? I thought this was posted somewhere else too.

stlbimmer21 06-18-2012 09:02 PM

I have a m3

Dmharvey 07-30-2012 04:00 AM

I just replaced my suspension with stock parts and I'm very happy with the ride/handling. I considered aftermarket options but I wanted to avoid a harsher ride since its a DD. You'd be surprised how much of an improvement fresh OEM parts are.

john@eac 07-30-2012 11:59 AM

At EACeuroparts they carry the sachs-boge oem replacement and also the bilsteins. The Bilsteins are the most popular brand . Check out the web site they have really good prices for whatever brand that you would like to go with.
http://www.eaceuroparts.com/

Edgy36-39 08-02-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

I just replaced my suspension with stock parts and I'm very happy with the ride/handling. I considered aftermarket options but I wanted to avoid a harsher ride since its a DD. You'd be surprised how much of an improvement fresh OEM parts are.
This is where I landed too. Replaced rear shocks with OEM Sachs while doing a recent cooling refresh. Will do the fronts soon.

Gor@AcutePerformance 09-13-2012 09:37 AM

You can go with H&R, I have them for the price you are looking to spend, drop me an email and we can go over some more options and get some numbers going
Gor@AcutePerformance.com