Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Where is the DVD changer? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589574)

bmguy 12-23-2011 08:23 PM

Where is the DVD changer?

I just picked up my 2012 550i Xdrive today; and spent some quality time with the manual, and used the search tool on this forum to see if I could figure out where the DVD changer is in this car... Search here returned many non specific threads to be usefull

I did consult the owners manual, and it says its in the glove box, and there is a handle to pull down; in th glove box where it shows in the manual, I have a empty hole that looks like it could be for a DVD changer that is missing, but there is no handle!

Since its the xmas weekend, I cant get a hold of the dealer to ask them.. wondering if there is something I'm missing?

The car is a fully loaded 550, has the rear seat entertainment system also, and te DVD layer in the rear center plays DVD's just fine. I was under the impression that there was a 6 disc changer so you could use it to play a different source on the the rear displays?

Thanks in advance - and Merry Xmas!

ihumphrey 12-24-2011 05:18 AM

I have never heard of a 6 disc changer, I thought it just had the front Cd/Dvd player and the rear if so equipped...perhaps a dealer added accessory? Like 100 years ago with CD changers...

bmguy 12-24-2011 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihumphrey (Post 6520915)
I have never heard of a 6 disc changer, I thought it just had the front Cd/Dvd player and the rear if so equipped...perhaps a dealer added accessory? Like 100 years ago with CD changers...

I agree for music, I wouldn't even care - but to use the ability to watch two seperate movies for the kids in the back (they are 5 years apart in age) The DVD changer was the answer...

Pages 202, 203 and 204 speak to the use and features of the dvd changer, have some nice diagrams and even show the direction on how to "load all" 6 new discs at once etc.... I was told that the rear seat entertainment option is what added the 6 disc dvd changer to the car;

So; either they forgot to install the changer (or an order error?), moved it - or stopped putting them in in the 2012?

I was hoping for some quick advice saying its some obscure way to open it, I'm looking in the wrong spot or somethign along those lines - I dont mind being wrong... but I really wanted the changers for its movie ability, and library features for long road trips

on a related note... for anyone that got the rear seat entertainment; does it come with headphones? all other cars I had this option (non bmw) came with wireless headphones, this car didnt come with any? or did they forget to give them to me?

ihumphrey 12-24-2011 08:59 AM

Wasn't implying you were wring, more so that the dealership may not know what they are talking about. It does seem logical that rear entertainment would add the option...so there is no way to feed one screen in the back from the front dash player an then use the rear player for the other?

ihumphrey 12-24-2011 09:00 AM

BTW I think it should have headphones...the X5 has them at least.

bmguy 12-24-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihumphrey (Post 6521217)
Wasn't implying you were wring, more so that the dealership may not know what they are talking about. It does seem logical that rear entertainment would add the option...so there is no way to feed one screen in the back from the front dash player an then use the rear player for the other?

I've been trying to get it to play from the front one, and I cant figure that out; but in all honesty - Not beentrying that hard with xmas and last minute stuff (ok, I lied, its about the rest of the car that distracts me! many cooler things to do!)

I hope next week when people are back to work they cna tell me where the headphones are and the changer too!

thanks for your help;

bmguy 12-27-2011 06:13 PM

I got th ehead phones today, turns out they ship them seperate from the car, and just forgot to put them in the car;

The 2011 model in the showroom turns out to have changer in the glove box, so thats a start - they are waiting on BMW to respond to the situation at this point;

I hope to know more by weeks end

bmguy 01-09-2012 02:23 PM

Well for anyone that cares; There is no longer a DVD changer; It looks like some early production cars had them, and the BMW websites talk about them; but they dont exist!

so I guess that explains why I cant find it

ihumphrey 01-09-2012 02:37 PM

Hmmm, so did they help you figure out playing something from the front? Or not possible?

Me530 01-09-2012 02:41 PM

For the cost of the rear entertainment system plus a 6 disc changer, you could get 2 iPad2's and load them with several movies from iTunes.

bmguy 01-09-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihumphrey (Post 6551132)
Hmmm, so did they help you figure out playing something from the front? Or not possible?

Nope, you can only play from the rear player or an the AUX inputs (ie, and ipod pluged into it they said)

I'll make due I guess; my issue was two kids with 5 years apart - but I'm sure they will make due somehow!

bmguy 01-09-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me530 (Post 6551138)
For the cost of the rear entertainment system plus a 6 disc changer, you could get 2 iPad2's and load them with several movies from iTunes.

Your right, except with smaller kids they cant hold the ipad for very long, etc; if I had know about the lack of the DVD changer I would not have purchased the rear seat entertainment system - I was just thinking it was a neat, wire free way to deal with it - turns out BMW had other plans with the changers, but never bothered to update the website;

I guess I will have to find another way to deal with it; I was thinking of putting in a GEN2 Apple TV, or maybe even a ipod with video and stores movies on there and play them via the AUX port... I'll figure out something for later; But it is a waste of money for the rear displays for me with out that changer!

If the kids were older IPADS are the way to go; I say a website that sells a really slick mount for them that can be removed easy etc.... but it was too late for me.

tadtaggert 01-09-2012 03:21 PM

There are a couple of companies that make mounts for iPads, essentially you mount them right where the backseat screens are.

bmguy 01-09-2012 03:23 PM

Yeah, that would have beena good option before I had the Entertainment system factory installed; so I'll just live with the way it is now... I suspect for others considering this factory option - that they should look at the ipads as a solution vs the factory screens...

bmguy 10-24-2012 09:20 AM

Well;
I managed to find a solution to this missing DVD changer issue; It turns out, the best solution is to install the missing DVD player;

I found on the USA website the option to add the exact missing changer... the Canadian site doesnt show this option;

The parts gal at the local dealer searched based on my VIN, and found the changer, but found the following information:

"I have used the VIN of your car to check on your question.
Below you can see what I was able to find in our parts catalog. Your 550xi would need to have the option code S696A for the DVD changer pre wiring which it does not have."

she then managed to find an alternet kit that included the prewire stuff needed

So - In a nut shell; I'm going ahead with the order to get the missing changer installed! I dont have the part numbers handy etc; but certianly appears that this can be done, using BMW parts!

AutoUnion 10-24-2012 10:16 AM

Glovebox I think. BMW used to offer it on the E70, but got rid of it recently.

bmguy 10-24-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoUnion (Post 7154887)
Glovebox I think. BMW used to offer it on the E70, but got rid of it recently.

I suspect you didn't have a chance to read the thread, we are way past where it is physically... Long story short, BMW had it on the specs but removed it, left. Blank spot in the car for it, said it can not be added, but now I found a way to add it... Of all places, in the glovebox... This is for watching DVD movies in the rear seats screens....

bmguy 12-05-2012 05:54 PM

Well, cars been in th shop for 3 days now getting the changer installed... Everything was going fine, but it turned out they were missing a video switch was another 700 bucks... That was ordered today and should be here on Thursday for final install... They the car has to have the software update done to make it all work, which apparently upgrades the whole car to the latest integration level at the same time...

Looking forward to getting my car back and seeing if all this worked as expected...

Tuffyboy 12-05-2012 11:17 PM

Man I hope they are covering some cost of this debacle- if not I would complain to BMW as I feel they do a crappy job of detailing options already. Again you would have not gotten the option if it didn't have the player. The iPad rear headrest mount is nice looking and two iPads would have been about the same as the video switch

Best of luck

bmguy 12-06-2012 06:45 AM

The while project looks like its going to be around 3k... If the head rest displays were not there already I would have added the iPads for sure....

Either way, I'm looking forward to it being done... The put rear DVD player in the Center floor so the kids catch change a disc and the front passenger can't either... This way on the 8 hour drives we can at lease swap the disc when needed for them....

bmguy 12-27-2012 05:21 PM

Well the car is still in the shop, but its close to being done.... There was issues flashing the software due to an error with the dealers computers, it appears to have been sorted today, and now they are working with BMW tech support to address some errors specific to the changer being added...

It's been a very long haul for this, I so hope it actually works when they are done!

P.s. been driving around in a 528 for the last 3 weeks, it's actually a decent little motor in the car... It's a 2013 with the turbo 4 and I'm impressed with that engine....

CyclePimps 12-27-2012 11:54 PM

Wow, this has been a real odyssey for you, over a year now. I feel for you. Here's hoping it all works out to your satisfaction.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App

bmguy 12-28-2012 01:02 AM

It has been a year and a bit now... Fingers crossed that it all works properly when I get it back.

As a side note, if I had know it would be this much worK, not sure if I would have done it... The good news is I will now have all the parts numbers and will post them when it's confirmed working...

Thanks for the support!
Tk

Ace535i 12-28-2012 09:42 AM

The multi-changer continues to be featured in the new M5 and M6.

bmguy 01-03-2013 02:53 PM

Well, got th call today the DVD changer install is completed. The issues with upgrading the latest integration level as part of th update have been resolved. The dealer tested everything and works as advertised now.. Thy are putting it back together today, washing it etc.

Last step it to flash the revised Dinan software back into the car in th morning, and if that doesn't break the software load I'll be back in my car Friday afternoon...

Looking forward to getting it back after all this time....