Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Driver's seat heater no worky... (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594431)

wamcneil 01-16-2012 07:08 AM

Driver's seat heater no worky...

Hi all,
We've got an '06 X3 with a non-functional drivers side seat heater. No activity when the button is pressed. No lights, no heat, nothing.
The passenger side works fine... Fuses are all good.
Any ideas where to start looking?

UncleJ 01-16-2012 08:39 AM

Yes, its the heating pad itself. They are notorious for breaking the little wires and causing things like small fires and burning your butt, and (best) not working at all. The whole seat element under the seat cover needs to be replaced with a new one. Lots of problems with these units, just like the sunroofs and window drive dogs.:mad: Check out the "Seat heater catches fire !!!!" thread here.

wamcneil 01-16-2012 08:52 AM

bummer... My wife was excited about heated seats. I can't figure out why though; it never gets cold in Houston...
Are the seat bottoms interchangeable? I mean, could I swap the driver and passenger seat-bottom covers?
From what I've seen on the part cost, buying a new seat is not an option I'm willing to consider.

UncleJ 01-16-2012 09:36 AM

You don't have to buy a new seat, just the heating element pad beneath the seat cover. Any quality auto uhpolstery shop can obtain and install this for you at a substantial savings over the BMW dealer's -- who would probably job it out to a similar shop anyway.:thumbup:

Supercourse 01-16-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wamcneil (Post 6565444)
Are the seat bottoms interchangeable? I mean, could I swap the driver and passenger seat-bottom covers?

The occupancy sensor mat in the passenger seat would complicate that plan.
Not sure how it sits in relation to the seat heater, but best not to disturb either of those sensitive components if they are presently working properly.

wamcneil 01-16-2012 10:53 AM

I thought I read that the heater elements are sewn into the seat cover? Is it separate from the cover?
Or would I get an aftermarket element as a replacement?

UncleJ 01-17-2012 12:02 PM

My understanding is the heating element part is sewn on the under pad, or replaces the stock underpad ,and the seat cover was installed over that. Check with any quality auto uhpolstery shop and they can give you a quick answer and a quote over the phone. I'll bet they do a lot of this kind of work.:angel:

astrotj 01-21-2012 02:44 PM

Had this heating element replaced on my 05 X3 by BMW (under warranty) when the car was about 2 years old. Just stopped functioning. No issue with BMW, they just fixed it.

mscamp 10-01-2012 02:19 PM

Just had mine go out after 81k.

$1,000. I decided to pass.:(