Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1982 - 1993) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   MUST READ: Help us help you!! Please read BEFORE posting in the E30 Section (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597283)

_Ethrty-Andy_ 01-28-2012 10:12 PM

MUST READ: Help us help you!! Please read BEFORE posting in the E30 Section

This is especially for the newcomers to this forum, but it does apply to some of the established members too!

When asking a question about your car, please provide as much detail as possible. for example

Car: 320i Touring
Year: 1993
Vin number: xx00000
Euro / Jap / US New: Euro
Options ie: Manual... Auto
The list could go on & on ...dependent on the problem you might have

You might like to input this information into your signature as I have done (at time of writing), so you can skip most of this step

By now I think you should get the drift. We need as much info as you can give us

And a description of what the actual fault is or a pic

Questions that are limited to "my car stopped!! what will I do ??? what is it ??? it runs horrible...." Wont get answered.... call AAA if thats all the information you can give us.

We cant help with alot of the problems you have on a forum, especially if the fault needs proper diagnostic evaluation. We can help by suggesting what you should do, or who to go to, depending on tha area you live in.

This is not a rant... we are all happy to help anyone on here where we can . But please help us as well

Please also remember that diagnosing problems is hard on the internet, and members will tend to only think about it for less than a minute before posting, so the real answer may not come up straight away, if at all

and finally, as a general rule, if you have to ask beginner questions about a turbo install/engine conversion/gearbox conversion.. you are not ready to do this to your car. research, research, research. then when you think you're ready but still have a few questions .. research some more. only then ask questions. An answer to anything that falls into this catagory can be found on this site, as well as others.

SWISS 01-29-2012 04:39 AM

I have to concur and if you are feeling it I bet mark,steve and others get it too.

And a picture is worth a thousand words!
If you don't know jack about cars and it just stopped running......

Go to a shop, leave us alone.

If you mechanic tells you something that sounds odd, ask us and we'll set the record straight.

skimmbo 04-11-2012 06:30 AM

help new to forum

bmw 318i 1988 e30 help
hi can anyone help i jumped another car my bm cut out and she has not went since but tries to go i have had valve timming checked , fuel, coil. and sparked plugs they are all ok finaly had ecu unit changed but stil no joy the car is fuel injected and fixed distributer thats the one with the rota arm only had that checked as well and is ok new to forum please help

newBMWdriver94 05-12-2012 07:33 PM

hi i have a
1987 325 2.7 l

5 speed automatic

4 door
she was bought in germany :)
my problem is that i live in arizona now and the a/c doesnt work anymore, theres still preasure in the piping but its just air and not refrigerant, im hoping its just a leak so if you could let me know what a common place a leak could be, and if thats not it what else could it be. what i mean by that is what is more common to break first, like the condenser, ect ect . any help would be great thanks

newBMWdriver94 05-12-2012 07:36 PM

i also have another problem that i forgot, ok well when im in parrk and rev the engine it calms down then by its self revs up and down, when i put it in drive or reverse it stops and idles normally, could it be the fuel regulator? but if it was wouldnt it continue no matter if it is in park or drive? if you could help me as soon as possible that would be great thanks.

newBMWdriver94 05-12-2012 07:41 PM

hey sorry about this but i tried to find one online but it directed me to a forum home page, my rpm/mpg gauge stoped working on me and i was wondering if i could fix it or if anyone knew where to find a new or a good used one? the gas gauge, mph and engine temp works fine (thank god) its just the rpm/mpg gauge? can anyone help me?

_Ethrty-Andy_ 05-13-2012 04:19 AM

try to stat your own thread for questions, this is an announcement only not a discussion thread. i should close it really. in anycase.....:

Quote:

Originally Posted by newBMWdriver94 (Post 6830672)
hi i have a
1987 325 2.7 l

5 speed automatic

4 door
my problem is that i live in arizona now and the a/c doesnt work anymore, theres still preasure in the piping but its just air and not refrigerant, im hoping its just a leak so if you could let me know what a common place a leak could be, and if thats not it what else could it be. what i mean by that is what is more common to break first, like the condenser, ect ect . any help would be great thanks

take it to an A/C shop and get them to pressure test it. they use a dye that comes out of the holes in the lines. you will have to take it to an A/C shop to be refilled anyways so not worth trying to figure it out yourself in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newBMWdriver94 (Post 6830677)
i also have another problem that i forgot, ok well when im in parrk and rev the engine it calms down then by its self revs up and down, when i put it in drive or reverse it stops and idles normally, could it be the fuel regulator? but if it was wouldnt it continue no matter if it is in park or drive? if you could help me as soon as possible that would be great thanks.

thats your idle control vavle. quite a common E30 issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by newBMWdriver94 (Post 6830687)
hey sorry about this but i tried to find one online but it directed me to a forum home page, my rpm/mpg gauge stoped working on me and i was wondering if i could fix it or if anyone knew where to find a new or a good used one? the gas gauge, mph and engine temp works fine (thank god) its just the rpm/mpg gauge? can anyone help me?

check the connections on the back of it are secure, and also check to see that the brass earthing nuts on the back of the cluster are done up tight. also could be your Service interval batteries starting to die as well.

skimmbo 05-13-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newBMWdriver94 (Post 6830672)
hi i have a
1987 325 2.7 l

5 speed automatic

4 door

hi the ac i dont know anything about,we live in scotland so don need it.all i know about revs going up and down if its fuel it is controled by the ecu unit

onlycheetah 05-20-2012 10:21 PM

I have a 1989 3251c, car wont start or turn over... no click battery is charged and new? help please.. this happened at a gas station filled up with gas and after car would not start or even turnover and no click at all

skimmbo 05-21-2012 01:21 PM

sounds like its imobalised it self get a electrition to check but before that check theres no loose wires on starter

leprechaun 05-22-2012 05:04 PM

suspension question!

Car: 325i
Year: 1990

I'm just simply wondering if anyone can help me find or send me links to a good place that sells suspension for my car. I've been looking around and it seems like ever place has a different kinds of shocks and struts that i need. So my majo question is what are the best kind, and please keep in mind I need fairly cheap ones.

e30kid84 05-23-2012 08:34 PM

can i use a honda civic turbo kit for my car?? hahaha:angel: JKJKJK

Madman415 05-24-2012 08:32 PM

I hate sounding like a moron but in this case the shoe fits... How do I set my signature?

SWISS 07-12-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madman415 (Post 6855537)
I hate sounding like a moron but in this case the shoe fits... How do I set my signature?

No worries, you have to go to the user cp and set it up. Here is the proper forum for these types of inquiries FYI. :angel:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/for...aysprune=&f=29

KingKTiger 08-18-2012 04:17 PM

Is knowing the VIN number necessary

Is showing my VIN number necessary for you to help me with my problem. I am good with following the rules and all but VIN number seems like were overdoing the identification.

hornhospital 08-18-2012 07:43 PM

All you need to provide is the last seven digits of the VIN. That can be used to find out your exact build date and what parts fit your specific car. It's not like you're posting your entire VIN.

Brickenfist 04-16-2013 08:46 PM

Hope this is the right forum!!

I am having trouble removing the starter!! It is a 1985 325e with a manual transmission and it is a 6 cylinder. I removed everything I needed to, and the starter won't come out. I removed the 3 cables connecting to the starter, and I also removed the bracket holding the starter to the engine. I just can't get the starter out.

hornhospital 04-16-2013 09:00 PM

I see no mention of removing the two bolts holding it to the bellhousing........ :dunno:

JimmersZ 07-13-2013 04:38 PM

Interested E30 Shopper- What should I be aware of?

I don't mean to jump in an existing thread but I need some advice. I recently sold my Z4 and have been caught up with the classic look of the E30. I have been shopping for a convertible and was wondering if there is a short list of issues (timing belt replacement, top condition, manual vs auto tranny) that I should be aware of before I take the plunge. I could use some sage advice here.:)

alfaz 10-26-2013 08:43 AM

Hello everyone , I am from Lahore , Pakistan , recently bought a BMW M3 1985 , It doesn't have a stock engine but have one of toyota Cressida's. I am looking to replace it , now the problem is BMW engines are not very easily available here so I thought if I install toyota 1JZ or 2JZ in it , now please tell me what to do , if I opt for 2jz what other mods would I have to do , will it be a easy swap , please I need proper suggestions and nice guidelines. I love 2jz. So please help me , if anyone provide it with their email would be very helpful.
--

$ol 12-31-2013 05:59 PM

Re: MUST READ: Help us help you!! Please read BEFORE posting in the E30 Section

Raceland sells some good and a good price

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

quetzalsilver 04-23-2014 06:12 PM

Distributor timing m30

Hello,

I have a European grey mkt 323i with an 80- something M30 motor in it. The distributor in on the drivers side and I was told from the guy I bought it from said its the original 1979 electronic distributor with bosch; if I'm using the right terms.

I just replaced the head gasket but not cant get it started. I was very careful about engine timing so I sure that is right. I tracked down the guy who built the this motor and he told me that if I replaced the timing belt, which I did then my distributor timing is probably off. I'm having a hard time finding detailed info on that and how to get it right.

I'm also concerned that my spark is yellow and not blue but it's seems strong enough to ignite.

Any pointers would be helpful!

Q-

hornhospital 04-23-2014 09:22 PM

The M30 uses a chain, not a belt.

Zaffle 04-28-2014 10:34 AM

Needing some info on my car for parts

Ok I just bought a 1996 318is 2 door automatic when you get on the gas hard something makes a awful rattling noise sounds sounds like its part of the exhaust also my temp and gas gauge works when they want to any idea what the noise could be and what should I do about the gauges would like to know if a 19in rim would fit on the car also thanks for any help

hornhospital 04-28-2014 02:52 PM

You're in the wrong forum. Please post that in the E36 forum.