Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Bmw 320d m sport security (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600611)

KM1980 02-13-2012 04:06 AM

Bmw 320d m sport security

Dear All,

I am new to this site. First of all I would like to saw BMW cars are amazing!!

I used to own an E90 BMW 320D M Sport in Le Mans blue and absolutely loved it. I say I used to own one because 48hrs ago it was stolen during the night. It was parked in a well lit street which is in a junction with the main road, wall or wooden fence on one sides and on the other side of the road is a school - though at night I would imagine the road to be quiet.

The manner in which it was taken would suggest someone was able to break in and some how bypass the immobilizer and drive off in it - all done relatively quickly.

I know the car was not towed away of lifted on to a truck because there was broken glass on the floor, and from the position of the broken glass I would say they smashed the rear passenger door window.

Am I right in saying that modern day cars such as BMW's with immobilizers it should be almost impossible to hot-wire the engine? If this is the case then they must have a generic key?

I have heard rumours that BMW technicians have a generic key fob that works on all BMW's? Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case then it is one of the major flaws in the security system of their cars as the generic keys could be lost or stolen!

I'm kind of hoping someone who knows more about BMW cars can shed a light on how secure their cars are and if it is not with a generic key then how the hell did someone manage to bypass the immobilizer, start my car engine and drive off??

Your advice will be most welcome as I am seriously considering whether I would want to buy another BMW after this.....

Cheers!

Orient330iNYC 02-13-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KM1980 (Post 6628470)
Dear All,

I am new to this site. First of all I would like to saw BMW cars are amazing!!

I used to own an E90 BMW 320D M Sport in Le Mans blue and absolutely loved it. I say I used to own one because 48hrs ago it was stolen during the night. It was parked in a well lit street which is in a junction with the main road, wall or wooden fence on one sides and on the other side of the road is a school - though at night I would imagine the road to be quiet.

The manner in which it was taken would suggest someone was able to break in and some how bypass the immobilizer and drive off in it - all done relatively quickly.

I know the car was not towed away of lifted on to a truck because there was broken glass on the floor, and from the position of the broken glass I would say they smashed the rear passenger door window.

Am I right in saying that modern day cars such as BMW's with immobilizers it should be almost impossible to hot-wire the engine? If this is the case then they must have a generic key?

I have heard rumours that BMW technicians have a generic key fob that works on all BMW's? Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case then it is one of the major flaws in the security system of their cars as the generic keys could be lost or stolen!

I'm kind of hoping someone who knows more about BMW cars can shed a light on how secure their cars are and if it is not with a generic key then how the hell did someone manage to bypass the immobilizer, start my car engine and drive off??

Your advice will be most welcome as I am seriously considering whether I would want to buy another BMW after this.....

Cheers!

i would say towed. my guess is that they broke the window to release the parking brake or take the car out of gear.

KM1980 02-14-2012 03:39 PM

You're probably right.

I have spoken to BMW and they say they don't have a master key.

So much for the alarm system!!

hyperzulu 02-14-2012 04:06 PM

Dang. Sorry for your loss. Hopefully you're insured for theft. Having a vehicle stolen feels so outrageously violating.

KM1980 02-14-2012 04:46 PM

Thanks for the message.

It was 6:30 am having woken up to go to work and it took a while to sink in. I actually thought I had mistaken where I parked my car at first but then it slowly sunk in. As I ran out to check I could see what I thought was snow/frost on the ground was actually broken glass.

I'm insured and are going through the process of claiming for the lost. I'm thinking of either getting another 3 series M Sport, hopefully in Le Mans Blue again or black, with a bigger engine and more gadgets in the cockpit! Or I might go for a 5 series instead. My next car will def be fitted with a GPS system, a siren added to the alarm to deafen any wannabe thieves, and lock the wheel at an angle when I park it!!

hyperzulu 02-14-2012 04:48 PM

May I suggest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lov9mdgO4G0

KM1980 02-25-2012 02:29 PM

Well my car has been found by the police. It has been taken away for a full check up to see what damages there are.

I have spoken to the officer who stopped the car and arrested the suspects, he said he couldn't see any obvious signs of damage and the guys had a key to it.

This means there must be a away to change the computer system and fit another one in with their keys programmed to it.

Kristian 02-26-2012 02:16 AM

:)Well done - to the police. You must be relieved to be reunited with your car and that there's no obvious sign of damage to it. It would be interesting to know the car thief's modus operandi.