Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Michelin PSS or PS2? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601436)

solstice 02-16-2012 03:39 PM

Michelin PSS or PS2?

I have 14k miles on my 2011 E90 M3 with the optional 19s with Contis.
The tires are close to require replacement and I was surprised when I checked tirerack.

Michelin PSS are $100 and change cheaper per tire than Michelin PS2s.
I thought PSS where the newer improved PS2. What gives? Anyone know the reason and is there anyone who have the PSSs, and if so what's the verdict?

rdollie 02-16-2012 05:52 PM

I've run PS2s for years on a variety of cars and am a BIG fan. However, based on everything I've read the PSS is the better AND cheaper replacement to the PS2 so there's no contest - buy the PSS. It's just odd because the newer and better item is cheaper which is definitely rare with any product these days (particularly when both are still sold side-by-side in some retail channels.)

I plan to buy a set of PSS replacements for my PS2 as soon as I burn them off the rims...

solstice 02-17-2012 11:55 AM

Thanks rdollie, that's what I thought. Just wanted to check if there was some known issues with the PSS that could have explained the price delta to the PS2.

solstice 02-23-2012 12:55 PM

I just ordered the PSSs which will be at my dealer for installation next week. I have the Contis now that came with the car. I'm looking forward to see how the PSSs compares.

SteveGiant 02-28-2012 01:05 PM

I can't compare PSS to PS2 but I recently replaced my Bridgestone RFTs with the PSS and the car was transformed. Night and day difference for the better. I'm a fan of the PSS so far - you'll love them.

solstice 02-29-2012 01:00 PM

My first drive with the PSSs was in pouring rain today but I could immediately pickup up a few improvements compared to my worn Contis. Already when I pulled out from the dealer I could feel that the steering resistance and return to center force was significantly increased. This also translated to a much improved Hwy stability with less sensitivity to crowning etc. The difference is so big that if I didn't know that they didn't I would assume that the installers had changed alignment parameters as toe or camber, the feeling of being on rails is even more pronounced than before. Otherwise these tires have the Michelin feel that I love of precision, feedback and comfort. I'm very happy with them so far but I still need to push them in the dry for a complete verdict.

rhird 03-08-2012 09:46 AM

I made the switch from PS2 to PSS several months ago. Initially struggled with the concept that the PSS were better and cheaper than PS2, but hey that is just the way it is. Seems almost un american

ksoze 03-08-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solstice (Post 6652807)
I just ordered the PSSs which will be at my dealer for installation next week. I have the Contis now that came with the car. I'm looking forward to see how the PSSs compares.

Thanks for feedback on the PSS's - makes my decision easier when i am ready. Mind sharing what your dealer is charging for mounting tires they did not sell?

solstice 03-08-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksoze (Post 6686941)
Thanks for feedback on the PSS's - makes my decision easier when i am ready. Mind sharing what your dealer is charging for mounting tires they did not sell?

My dealer ordered the tires directly from tirerack since they are not part of their installer network. Same cost as the website + $120 for the mounting of all four. The spare parts guy made the order and even setup the appointment a few days later. I just showed up and left with the new tires. Excellent service.

zibawala 03-16-2012 11:11 PM

I am looking for a set of 4, PSS, I thought there was thread for tire rack?

solstice 03-18-2012 12:31 PM

The weather has not been cooperating for a more spirited test but I can't say enough about the stability of these tires. My car was stable before but had a tendency to to follow groves and crownings on worn highway stretches. With the PSSs the car tracks like an arrow even on very poor stretches of road and the wet weather grip is phenomenal ( partly due to the M3s chassi and differential I'm sure ) the Contis are also very good in the wet so the difference here is not as obvious.

ksoze 03-18-2012 01:20 PM

Thanks for the update. Contis are still good on mine (6.5K), but it's PSS when the time comes. Keep us informed as they wear in.

Campfamily 03-18-2012 03:08 PM

Just put these on my 550, replacing the OEM Contis. Wow! What a difference. I bought them at Discount Tire, exact same price as Tire Rack, plus they give free flat repairs, lifetime balancing, etc. I have the PS A/S on my Maxima and the PSS blows them away.

Keith

MMME30W 04-18-2012 07:23 PM

Any known issues in mixing PS2 and PSS? I have to replace my PS1 OEM rears soon, and am going with the PSS. Ok?